• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What is a decibel? A Video Tutorial

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I had requests to do tutorials on YouTube so I thought I do a quick one on Decibel. It is actually not what you think in that I don't really explain it. :) But rather, show the proper way and reasoning in a live demo using my Audio Precision software. So even though you may know what a dB is, you may want to watch the video to see the AP in action.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
FYI I used the wrong screen capture method which didn't catch the pop up dialogs. Was too lazy and unmotivated to re-record the whole thing to fix it. :) Will make sure that doesn't happen in the future videos.

Archsam

You want to look cool, use Dee Bee :cool:
Love it.

milosz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Very nice but I am breathlessly awaiting the review of the Dan Clark Ether CX.... hurry up Amir, I haven't much breath left....

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
:) excellent. Thankyou .
Bonus we can see the random movements in the curves live ! If you never used measuring tools of any kind you might never seen this .
Sometimes the difference between two devices are at the same level as the same device next second if you happen to capture right then .
Reality has random noise ( I measure other things not audio, seeing this quite regularly ).

Ray did a nice thing here . The Shoutometer | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum It has some limits but the gist of it is to give perspective (air as medium probably wont work at these distances it will all be randomized anyway )

Experiment to try at home , but be very very very very careful I've tried a -112dB signal of some kHz in our sensitive range 1-4 kHz on my hifi at it's full volume if i press my ear against the tweeter i can faintly hear it buried way down somewhere in the noise floor way down its 99% speaker hiss but its there.

Sitting at my listening position with the volume cranked to the max a -80dB test signals it becomes audible . (my hearing is not perfect sadly others may do better than me )

This is the test signal only not masked by any music .

If you do such a thing make sure your playlist is empty and only plays the test signal so that not AC/DC thunder comes on as the next track :)

Gives me perspective about when listening at reasonable spl levels and your DAC has artifacts -110dB down , not a chance I can hear that or even a trained listener with perfect ears ?

filo97s

which panther for the AP dac? :D
Great vid as usual

FredC

Thank you! ASR was already great and informative yet sometimes a bit hermetic for the less tech-savvy ones (I'm one of them). These videos will help everyone.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
I had it on in the background and maybe I missed it, but did you explain its logarithmic with an example. I think many people don't release the huge difference between 100 and 110dB for example.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice shirt. I would have designed one like that but the logo at the top of the website didn't have enough resolution to work with the tools I tried.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
@amirm -- So do you ever sleep? :)

Acoustics is not my day job so others can do a much better job, but here is what I have said over the years.

For sounds in the midrange when listing to music or movies:
  • +1 dB change is barely detectable to most people and is a 1.26x increase in power.
  • +3 dB is about what most of us do when asked to "make it a little louder" and is a 2x increase in power.
  • +6 dB is a "big" change and requires 4x the power.
  • +10 dB sounds twice as loud and requires 10x the power.
Equal-loudness curves: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal-loudness_contour These show how much louder (or softer) sounds at different frequencies need to be to sound as loud as a 1 kHz tone. The dip around 3 kHz is where we are most sensitive; roughly the frequency of a baby's cry. The original Fletcher-Munson curves were revised in the 1950's by Robinson and Dadson. The latter mainly revised the bass curves upwards and are the essence of the current ISO standard.

Years ago (no, I don't have the reference; it is in the black hole storage in the basement) a study demonstrated 17 dB peak-to-average power ratio for music. IIRC it was mostly classical'ish. Note 17 dB is a factor of 50x in power. If your average listening level is 1 W, you need 50 W to prevent most clipping. I have read reports of 20 dB in modern music (assuming not squashed by the loudness wars) and 30 dB in movies. Most of the time the loudest sounds will be big cymbal and drum crashes, explosions, gun shots, and the like so clipping may well go unnoticed.

Online calculator for SPL with your speakers and room: _Peak SPL Calculator These calculators are only a rough estimate since speaker sensitivity and room absorption varies over frequency (among other things).

It is important to note that OSHA standards, often quoted for how loud it takes for hearing loss, do NOT target audiophiles. They are designed so the average person can hold intelligible conversation without shouting, not catch fine nuances in music. If you want to retain good hearing, take the OSHA guidance as upper limits requiring plenty of margin.

FWIWFM - Don

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Do you have two rooms set up as a mirror images of one another, or did you flip the video?

1613658571965.png

Reactions: 617

Zensō

Major Contributor
Do you have two rooms set up as a mirror images of one another, or did you flip the video?

View attachment 113335
I noticed that too. For what it’s worth (not much), I prefer this new layout with Amir facing to the right. Since where I’m from we read from left to right, it feels “backwards” when a commentator is facing right to left.

PS - Another excellent video!

catalogguy

Forum Donor
A comment about Amir's videos...
First, as many have expressed before me, Thank You.

I now have something to look forward to when using my exercise machine. Please, Amir, keep making the videos so I can make my fitness goal.

Now that there is a nice aerobics series, I wonder if Amir would consider a yoga series. Perhaps something thematically invigorating for the mornings and then relaxing videos for the evenings?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
A comment about Amir's videos...
First, as many have expressed before me, Thank You.

I now have something to look forward to when using my exercise machine. Please, Amir, keep making the videos so I can make my fitness goal.

Now that there is a nice aerobics series, I wonder if Amir would consider a yoga series. Perhaps something thematically invigorating for the mornings and then relaxing videos for the evenings?
... and perhaps a nice calming stretch with some Tai Chi too. :D

Top Bottom