• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How quiet is -60dB?

OP

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Shoutometer only goes down to -180dB, so I'm stuck trying to visualize -300dB.

It's about 699 billion miles, about 7500 au.

OP

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That sounds totally reasonable :) If not for the lack of air, we could just be yelling commands to Voyager instead of using radio.
Hopefully he isn't sensitive to time smearing

earlevel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just a quick visualization I made to indicate how quiet -60 dB is. Imagine each of these construction workers is yelling at you. Assuming the first figure is 6' away, each successive figure is twice the distance, or -6 dB further.
Sorry, I'm missing something here, not sure what is being claimed (especially since a number of different aspects are being discussed in the thread). It seems like this implies that I could easily make out exactly what is being shouted from 1.2 miles away (of course, assuming no wind, line of sight). After all, I can listen to music at a moderate level, turn it down 60 dB, and still make out every word of the lyrics without effort, even in the midst of music. But I somehow doubt I could do the same with someone 1.2 miles away, even under the most ideal fo circumstances—can't say for sure, never tried it, I just doubt it. But it seems like that is the purpose of the claim, to show what a reduction of 60 dB implies.

What am I missing?

earlevel

Reality.. like I said before: these distance comparisons don’t make a whole lot of sense.
Yes—even if my intuition is wrong and I could make out words of someone shouting 1.2 miles away, it is still to your point. If we don't have a good grasp of how well we can hear something at these various distances, what good is the comparison? :D

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Very Audible according to the fellow running Chord

The man hears down and lower than -300dB, you think -60dB is anything to consider? C'mon..

It's worse than that Jim (think funny Startrek based song)... 350dB

Schermafdruk_2021-02-16_23-34-18.png

solderdude

Grand Contributor
But his audience loves it and happily buys the expensive DACs while defending 'Chord products' with their lives. :D
One has to admit, the DACs perform well and seem very nicely made.
Worth the money ?

Tks

Major Contributor
But his audience loves it and happily buys the expensive DACs while defending 'Chord products' with their lives. :D
One has to admit, the DACs perform well and seem very nicely made.
Worth the money ?

For all the circlejerk going on, they should be state of the art (or actually, top of the line, meaning it should be beating Okto, Topping, SMSL, etc...). The fact that they don't, I don't see the value proposition.

OP

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry, I'm missing something here, not sure what is being claimed (especially since a number of different aspects are being discussed in the thread). It seems like this implies that I could easily make out exactly what is being shouted from 1.2 miles away (of course, assuming no wind, line of sight). After all, I can listen to music at a moderate level, turn it down 60 dB, and still make out every word of the lyrics without effort, even in the midst of music. But I somehow doubt I could do the same with someone 1.2 miles away, even under the most ideal fo circumstances—can't say for sure, never tried it, I just doubt it. But it seems like that is the purpose of the claim, to show what a reduction of 60 dB implies.

Listen to this file:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wm7x2h6w47uw76d/High Life to Minus 70.wav?dl=0

It begins with music at 0db and goes down in 10db increments to -70db (no speech labeling after -60db). With your volume adjusted how you would normally listen to the 0db part, can you hear music all the way to the end? I can barely make something out at -50 and by -60db I have to crank the volume to hear anything. Nothing as far as I can tell at -70.

I've been looking into this recently to help my intuition about how quiet these levels really are, to get a sense of what we're talking about when we discuss distortion and noise levels. I'd be interested in hearing if you can really make out the music at -60 because it would indicate that you listen to higher levels in a quieter room than I do (certainly possible.)

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
"How quiet is -60dB?"

It is 60dB quieter than 0dB, what's not known is the SPL is you have assigned to that.

earlevel

Listen to this file:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wm7x2h6w47uw76d/High Life to Minus 70.wav?dl=0

It begins with music at 0db and goes down in 10db increments to -70db (no speech labeling after -60db). With your volume adjusted how you would normally listen to the 0db part, can you hear music all the way to the end? I can barely make something out at -50 and by -60db I have to crank the volume to hear anything. Nothing as far as I can tell at -70.

I've been looking into this recently to help my intuition about how quiet these levels really are, to get a sense of what we're talking about when we discuss distortion and noise levels. I'd be interested in hearing if you can really make out the music at -60 because it would indicate that you listen to higher levels in a quieter room than I do (certainly possible.)
Well...I do have a real good handle on how loud music is in dB. Even before setting a listening level on my Topping DX7 Pro, then dialing it 60 dB down, I had a real good idea of how it would sound. Decades of both recording, and developing DSP algorithms and needing to know how far down the stop bands need to be, etc. But, like most, I don't have much of a feel for how loud a construction worker shouts from 1.2 miles away :p So it doesn't seem like a very helpful comparison, that's all I'm saying.

OP

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"How quiet is -60dB?"

It is 60dB quieter than 0dB, what's not known is the SPL is you have assigned to that.
Well...I do have a real good handle on how loud music is in dB. Even before setting a listening level on my Topping DX7 Pro, then dialing it 60 dB down, I had a real good idea of how it would sound. Decades of both recording, and developing DSP algorithms and needing to know how far down the stop bands need to be, etc. But, like most, I don't have much of a feel for how loud a construction worker shouts from 1.2 miles away :p So it doesn't seem like a very helpful comparison, that's all I'm saying.

Perhaps less useful to the average ASR person than maybe other people. I work in the AEC industry so I have at least some experience with construction workers yelling.

It's funny even though I design speakers for fun I still need to do a reality check of how crazy the db scale is.

earlevel

Perhaps less useful to the average ASR person than maybe other people. I work in the AEC industry so I have at least some experience with construction workers yelling.

It's funny even though I design speakers for fun I still need to do a reality check of how crazy the db scale is.
Well, that makes sense. I do like the idea for relating it to the extremes that people think are important. So many people are sure they can hear ~-140 dB (like, whether 24-bit audio is plain-truncated or TPDF-truncate). It can be frustrating trying to get across just how tiny that is.

Top Bottom