• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do Fancy Audio Cables Make a Difference? (video)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
There were requests in youtube to do a video on high-end audio cables. So I did one based on the review of audioquest Wind cable. If you have already read the text review, there is little new information in there but for the rest of you, this is one you can watch or listen to instead of reading:

FYI, the audio got screwed up in the first recording and had to do it all over. :( I had tried to optimize the audio but by accident had added a 1 second delay. Anyway, other than the start where it still mutes too much, let me know if the sound is any better.

Video is a little less than 15 minutes.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
@amirm Did our English friend (Max T.) ever sent you his über expensive (Isolda) speaker cables for you to test, as he promised he would do after he done his video ?

respice finem

Major Contributor
The audio is clean in terms of background noise, but your voice sounds a bit distorted to me in louder parts, compared to the first video. Perhaps it would be easier to eliminate the background noise in post-production, or reduce this noise physically as much as you can and live with the rest?
@topic: I still have my 4mm2 van den Hul I've got in the 90s together with B&W speakers (relatively cheap due to short length/"used"). Never heard a difference compared to anything else, probably because I did never believe there is a difference. ;) But the lime coloured cables look nice on the wooden floor. :cool:

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I like the idea of taking objective content onto YouTube. Hopefully when people are looking for reviews they’ll come across this and it will loosen the grip that the current legion of charlatan YouTube reviewers will have over their next purchasing decision.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm Did our English friend (Max T.) ever sent you his über expensive (Isolda) speaker cables for you to test, as he promised he would do after he done his video ?
He did.

diddley

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thank you so much Amir, I,ve been irritated by companies and websides selling or pushing Audioquest gear.In my country they are very big.
This video will get many views.and sound is perfect.

stumper3819

Forum Donor
There were requests in youtube to do a video on high-end audio cables. So I did one based on the review of audioquest Wind cable. If you have already read the text review, there is little new information in there but for the rest of you, this is one you can watch or listen to instead of reading:

FYI, the audio got screwed up in the first recording and had to do it all over. :( I had tried to optimize the audio but by accident had added a 1 second delay. Anyway, other than the start where it still mutes too much, let me know if the sound is any better.

Video is a little less than 15 minutes.
Thanks sooo much Amir! You're explanations on some of your graphs/readings really helps some of us without the background of many ASR members. Please continue with the videos.

respice finem

Major Contributor
SOT / maybe an idea for a unique review (I've never seen such a review before), without knowing how to measure this: Many active speakers (as studio monitors) have analog inputs only, but internal DSP and digital crossovers, so they must digitize the analog input signal. Today, most signal sources are digital, and this means additional back and forth conversions: DA for compatibility with the input, then AD in the box for its DSP/dig. crossover and DA before its power amps. I can't help but thinking this (the ADC especially) might impact the signal quality, but can this reach potentially audible levels? Because if it can, studio monitors with digital input should be the preferable solution (?)
Sidenote: A similar situation = analog input in an AVR, or active speakers in a surround setup. Then, even having digital inputs in the speakers wouldn't help, because no AVR / AV processor has digital outputs for its single channels (at least none known to me). Having an AV processor with digital outputs would be an elegant solution IMHO.

Last edited:

magicscreen

So there is measurable difference between 2 audio cables.
In my case the difference was audible. Bought a $20 more expensive RCA cable instead of the $3 cheap one.
It was hand-made but they forgot to solder one wire properly. So sometimes there was contact, sometimes not.

respice finem

Major Contributor
Would be even more audible if they forgot the copper core ;) "this majestic, absolute silence cannot be achieved by any other product on the market today" :p
On a more serious note: I always wonder what "the Artist tried to express" when looking at thumb-thick speaker and/or RCA cables especially. They might at some point have non-negligible capacity? Anyway, I see the day coming when analog signal cables will be a thing of the past and all our tech digital/active.

Last edited:

jannek

Just read the text version and laughed my ass off for the airiness caused by the patio door.
Stuff like this cable (even better: mains cables...) is place two behind the company I talked to at the last "highend" exposition offering "Kryo treatment" (e.g.deep freezing) for stock car speakers for reaching high end heaven. For several hundreds of dollars of course.

bunkbail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I would've preferred if you mentioned this review of Wireworld USB cable somewhere in the video since it is one of those cables that provides objectively better performance over generic cables, but I appreciate the efforts on the video nonetheless. Thank you amirm.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
I would've preferred if you mentioned this review of Wireworld USB cable somewhere in the video since it is one of those cables that provides objectively better performance over generic cables, but I appreciate the efforts on the video nonetheless. Thank you amirm.
It depends on what you define a difference as. It doesn't make a difference in sound quality.

D

Deleted member 2944

Amir,

I think you should spend your valuable video time testing/discussing legitimate products vice debunking non-legitimate ones.
The folks that believe in cables and various other audio tomfoolery are gone. You're not going to get them back.

Just my opinion.

Dave.

ezra_s

Forum Donor
@amirm you certainly talk like if you have had your channel in youtube for very long. Very well done.

I am enjoying them a lot, and 15-20 minutes seem to be the sweet spot.

Top Bottom