• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for suggestions: self-powered wireless speakers for small room

LuvTheMusic

Here's the situation: we would like to have speakers in our small (11x12) dining room for casual listening. One of the shorter walls is completely covered by a salvaged solid wood shelving unit. That's about the only location that really works for speakers, so small bookshelf ones would be fine. BUT -- no power outlets on that wall. My preamp in the next room can talk to Bluetooth speakers (using the APTx protocol), so the ideal would be two wireless, self-powered speakers that can be paired for stereo. If that won't work, a single unit, especially a two-channel one, would be acceptable.

The issue is that most self-powered Bluetooth speakers seem to be purpose built as single units to provide mega bass for parties on the back deck. I don't really expect to find anything near real hi fi, but it would be nice find something that is made to provide decent sound. Music will be classical and some jazz played at reasonable volume, meaning that we won't need to yell to ask someone to pass the salt when we are listening during meals.

Suggestions for where to start looking -- brand? model? -- greatly appreciated!

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I assume 'self powered' means 'battery powered.'

What is your budget?

How big can they be?

Do they need to look traditional?

Are you going to listen on Bluetooth?

A pair of JBL Eon One Battery Powered compact PA speakers will probably perform as well as anything.

I bet a pair of JBL Flip or Charge speakers paired in stereo would sound relatively good with BT. I have a flip that I have taken to the delivery room a couple times for some classical music, and it certainly does the job.

If you want ASR certified HiFi, you will probably need wires, or to DIY something like combine good efficient speakers with DIY battery and amp boards from Parts Express or something.

OP
L

LuvTheMusic

I assume 'self powered' means 'battery powered.'

What is your budget?

How big can they be?

Do they need to look traditional?

Are you going to listen on Bluetooth?

A pair of JBL Eon One Battery Powered compact PA speakers will probably perform as well as anything.

I bet a pair of JBL Flip or Charge speakers paired in stereo would sound relatively good with BT. I have a flip that I have taken to the delivery room a couple times for some classical music, and it certainly does the job.

If you want ASR certified HiFi, you will probably need wires, or to DIY something like combine good efficient speakers with DIY battery and amp boards from Parts Express or something.

Thanks Helicopter, here are some clarification/answers:

Budget: not unlimited, but three digits would be good
Size: "smaller bookshelf", but again flexible. 18" high would start to push it. Width/depth not an issue
Looks: Don't need to look traditional, but should be unobtrusive.
Bluetooth: Bluetooth is the only way that I can see to get signal to them. Wiring is out of the question.
ASR "certified HiFi": Right, and I sure don't expect to replicate the far-too-expensive amp/speaker setup in the main room. I'm posting on ASR because the fourms are read by people who actually know accurate sound. Some of them (you) may have faced the same issues that I have in a "secondary" room and had to make similar compromises -- and I hope to learn from their experience!

I'll check out the JBL units.

TimW

Major Contributor
The JBL Control X Wireless looks like the best solution to me. It's got an HDI waveguide which has been shown to work very well in the other JBL speakers measured here. It also has 5.25" woofer so it's not going to be as lacking in the bass department as most small bluetooth speakers.

OP
L

LuvTheMusic

The JBL Control X Wireless looks like the best solution to me. It's got an HDI waveguide which has been shown to work very well in the other JBL speakers measured here. It also has 5.25" woofer so it's not going to be as lacking in the bass department as most small bluetooth speakers.

I may be confused here, but it looks like these are passive speakers. As I have no AC power where the speakers need to go, I can't run an amp at that location. So I do need self (battery) powered units.

However, I see that JBL has quite a lineup on smaller speakers. I'll look more closely to see if they have a model like this in a Bluetooth/battery powered version.

TimW

Major Contributor
The Control X is a passive. The Control X wireless is a fully wireless battery powered pair of speakers.

OP
L

LuvTheMusic

The Control X is a passive. The Control X wireless is a fully wireless battery powered pair of speakers.
Oh duh....I need to read all the words!

But it appears that the Control X Wireless is no longer available; it's not on the JBL website. I might be able to snag a used pair; I see there's a pair on Amazon.

Top Bottom