• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Magnius Balanced Headphone Amp Review

companyja

Isn't linearity a DAC-thing? As in, isn't linearity how well a digital signal is converted to analog? I'm unsure how that would be discussed in the context of an amp.

Non-linearity is a reality in any amplifier, as far as I've been able to gather. I haven't really explored this much because from what little research I did I kept hearing that in modern designs amplifier non-linearity is a non-issue, but here is an explanation I remember reading from a website called sound-au:

E6QVC0o.png

The fun part about this is that with nested feedback amplifiers, non-linearity seems to be much much lower thus invoking much less IMD than in discrete amplifier circuits, which would go against the video's point that IMD might be a problem with the Magnius (assuming Magnius is a nested feedback amplifier? I am not sure, but Heresy and the L30 are I believe)

RHO

Major Contributor
EDIT:
I just rewatched and I realised that he claims to have his own measurements, coupled with null testing. I wonder how you would perform (accurate, statistically valid) null testing with amplifiers, but more importantly why didn't he lead with his own measurements and testing? Why present 20 minutes of subjective review and then say "wait if you subscribe and wait I'll put up another 20 minute video of me proving my opinions". Why not lead with the proof and have an informed discussion on measurements and methodology?
Time constraints? These videos take quite a bit of editing. So I can see why it would be more difficult to represent his views in a clear way, backed up by measurements, in a video he wants t post on YT. I'm not saying this 100% the reason, but I can see why it could be a reason for first posting the subjective review. Also, more views = more money. Let's not be naive about this. If this is the way to get more views, he not going to post his video's the other way around.
I'm very interested in his measurements and his protocol for doing the null-testing.

KTN46

I'm very interested in his measurements and his protocol for doing the null-testing.

My understanding of null testing is that it only allows you to measure differences between two sources through phase cancellation. I would be very interested if @GoldenOne could show audible differences once methodology is demonstrably rigorous.

Also the notion of Schiit being forced to make opamp designs because discrete amps didn't measure as good is quite the fantheory... Unfortunately without any basis in reality (at least not according to how Schiit talk about their op-amp designs on forums/in their book). "Opamp bad" is not the best hill to die on IMO.

Schiit seem very proud of their designs, and I haven't found evidence to indicate why pursuing better measurements would somehow regress audio quality (what etherial quality makes the Magni 3+ better than the Heresy?). It is much more likely that the PCB quote is a bit of a joke, less so a tacit acknowledgement of discrete superiority.

1612706060949.png

GoldenOne

Not Active
I'm hearing a lot of assertions thrown out without any hard evidence to back it up, zero double blind testing, and many MANY adjectives with subjective meaning and little clarification. If the person here was trying to be intellectually honest and present a narrative that ASR's measurements are insufficient, it would be expected that they would link to evidence or resources corroborating their viewpoint. Instead we are supposed to take it as fact.

Amir has also responded to quite a few of his criticims in his forum interactions and explanations of measurements, so it's odd that the the video creator here engages with the narrative that ASR is this unflinching, uncompromising measurement entity.

"If you're getting a $200 amp for $6000 headphones you should re-evaluating your chain."

This is just a random quip but I found it particularly interesting, the implication that more money implies better gear, and that budget gear cannot sound audibly transparent because it's cheap. I'm getting a lot of audiofoolery vibes.

EDIT:
I just rewatched and I realised that he claims to have his own measurements, coupled with null testing. I wonder how you would perform (accurate, statistically valid) null testing with amplifiers, but more importantly why didn't he lead with his own measurements and testing? Why present 20 minutes of subjective review and then say "wait if you subscribe and wait I'll put up another 20 minute video of me proving my opinions". Why not lead with the proof and have an informed discussion on measurements and methodology?
The video was already nearly half an hour long, I didn't feel it would be appropriate to get into the whole methodology when it will be explained in its own video.

Once that video is up, then i'm more than happy to let people critique the methodology and results as they see fit and if needed will re-do tests with improvements.

I'm not really looking for an argument. I just with that there was a little bit more of a common ground between objective and subjective. And actual development of testing rather than everyone digging themselves into their own spot and refusing to budge on even basic suggestions.

People who say that objective information isn't important are wrong.
But people who take one specific metric from a very specific situation and refuse to even TRY testing the performance of said product in other situations are wrong too.

I like well measuring gear. My main chain is the holo may, which is currently the best measuring R2R dac you can get by a country mile, and the benchmark AHB2, which is afaik the best measuring speaker amp you can currently get.
I'm not trying to say "measurements are useless".

Far from it.

I'm just trying to say that maybe....just maybe. If something measures good in steady state conditions, but sounds bad (or even just different), then there is a reason for that worth looking into?

The null test is a fairly simple way not to say what product is 'better' (cause it cannot do that). But it can repeatably and definitively tell you whether for actual real world use two products are likely to sound the same or not.

If there are three products, all of which measure >110dB SINAD etc, and excellently in most metrics that amir would usually do. And yet:

A+B: Nulls to >100dB
A+C: Nulls to >60dB
(consistently and repeatably)

Then I don't really understand why it WOULDN'T be worth looking into why those differences present themselves?

Last edited:

GoldenOne

Not Active
Time constraints? These videos take quite a bit of editing. So I can see why it would be more difficult to represent his views in a clear way, backed up by measurements, in a video he wants t post on YT. I'm not saying this 100% the reason, but I can see why it could be a reason for first posting the subjective review. Also, more views = more money. Let's not be naive about this. If this is the way to get more views, he not going to post his video's the other way around.
I've no interest in making money from my videos.
I'm VERY deliberately NOT using any sort of affiliate links...ever.
And wherever possible I am either borrowing products from friends, or purchasing them myself.

I am quite deliberately taking steps that will in my opinion make my videos better and allow me to speak honestly without concern for whether i'll receive goods from a manufacturer in future, or how many people will buy a product from my affiliate link. Even though those steps will mean I make less money (or no money).

The ONLY money I am receiving is through patreon, and I am keeping my patreon stats public. All funds from that are going into purchasing audio gear to review, or paying for shipping/import of gear that people send me.

If I were doing this to make money I'd be doing what other reviewers do and giving basically only positive reviews to funnel people to affiliate links.
Even stuff like, I include songs, directly (fair use limited) in my videos. It gets them copyright claimed before they even go live. So I make 0 money on them.
And I don't care, because I don't want the money. I want to make the best videos I can. If something will make my videos better at the cost of costing me money then I'll do it.

The "yes, dacs sound different" video is/will take a while because there is a LOT of information and prep work. I've done and am continuing to do quite extensive null-testing on a lot of dacs and so the matrix of results is getting quite large and takes a lot of time (for each dac I have to run null tests against every other dac i'm using in the vid). As well as a LOT of editing. Wayyyy more than my review videos will normally have.

Dacs that are going to be included (so far):
- Holo May (both the R2R ladder and the 1-bit converter)
- Chord DAVE
- Chord Qutest
- Soncoz SGD1
- Teac UD501
- Schiit Bifrost 2
- Schiit Modius
- Schiit Modi Multibit
- SMSL Su8 V2
- RME ADI-2 Pro FS R
- Motu M2
- Topping E30
- Apple Dongle
- Prozor dac (mostly for giggles, that thing is hilariously awful)

Last edited:

Eskamobob1

You can't make any money if you are under 1k subs, can you? I am pretty sure you dont start making money on vids posted before 1k subs after you get there either

Edit: he addressed it above. I guess copy right climing every video you make is one way to avoid incentive of more views for profit

Shazb0t

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I've no interest in making money from my videos.
I'm VERY deliberately NOT using any sort of affiliate links...ever.
And wherever possible I am either borrowing products from friends, or purchasing them myself.

I am quite deliberately taking steps that will in my opinion make my videos better and allow me to speak honestly without concern for whether i'll receive goods from a manufacturer in future, or how many people will buy a product from my affiliate link. Even though those steps will mean I make less money (or no money).

The ONLY money I am receiving is through patreon, and I am keeping my patreon stats public. All funds from that are going into purchasing audio gear to review, or paying for shipping/import of gear that people send me.

If I were doing this to make money I'd be doing what other reviewers do and giving basically only positive reviews to funnel people to affiliate links.
Even stuff like, I include songs, directly (fair use limited) in my videos. It gets them copyright claimed before they even go live. So I make 0 money on them.
And I don't care, because I don't want the money. I want to make the best videos I can. If something will make my videos better at the cost of costing me money then I'll do it.

The "yes, dacs sound different" video is/will take a while because there is a LOT of information and prep work. I've done and am continuing to do quite extensive null-testing on a lot of dacs and so the matrix of results is getting quite large and takes a lot of time (for each dac I have to run null tests against every other dac i'm using in the vid). As well as a LOT of editing. Wayyyy more than my review videos will normally have.

Dacs that are going to be included (so far):
- Holo May (both the R2R ladder and the 1-bit converter)
- Chord DAVE
- Chord Qutest
- Soncoz SGD1
- Teac UD501
- Schiit Bifrost 2
- Schiit Modius
- Schiit Modi Multibit
- SMSL Su8 V2
- RME ADI-2 Pro FS R
- Motu M2
- Topping E30
- Apple Dongle
- Prozor dac (mostly for giggles, that thing is hilariously awful)
Maybe you should share your methodology here first so you aren't wasting your time running a bunch of potentially uncontrolled experiments which will, in the end, convince no one with any electrical engineering background. Seems that it would be logical to gain consensus on what you're doing first if your aim is to be taken seriously. Measurements and graphs don't mean anything if the process is uncontrolled or inadequate for what is being measured. Your experiment will have to be repeatable by others.

Last edited:

GoldenOne

Not Active
Maybe you should share your methodology here first so you aren't wasting your time running a bunch of potentially uncontrolled experiments which will, in the end, convince no one with any electrical engineering background. Seems that it would be logical to gain consensus on what you're doing first if your aim is to be taken seriously. Measurements and graphs don't mean anything if the process is uncontrolled or inadequate for what is being measured.
The test involves recording the output of each dac playing a specific 30 second piece of music. Each one is recorded by the RME ADI-2 Pro FS R ADC. Once running at 44.1khz, once at 192khz, and once at full 24bit 768khz (The other two are just in case they are needed in future. The 768khz recordings are the ones that are used for the null-tests.)

Info on the ADI-2 Pro ADC performance can be seen here: http://archimago.blogspot.com/2020/09/measurements-rme-adi-2-pro-fs-r-black.html
(Also to note, when recording the ADI-2 pro itself, I did actually get a 2nd ADI-2, rather than using a cable loopback, as the ADC/DAC running from the same clock would be unfair.)

Null tests are then performed using the "DeltaWave" software developed by a member here:
https://deltaw.org/
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...test-deltawave-null-comparison-software.6633/

The tests were run twice, once with clock drift correction enabled and once without. Though for the tests I did keep a 20khz filter on so that ultrasonic stuff did not affect/skew results. But of course the raw files will be provided so that people can run their own tests with their own configurations should they wish to do so.

The original recordings, full deltawave reports for each comparison, as well as difference .wavs will be provided.

All DACs are being fed from the same USB source (SMS200 Ultra) to ensure that there is no potential issue arising from feeding from a beefy gaming PC.
All products are using their stock power supplies, everything fed from roon, all cables identical, even using the same USB cable. I tried to make sure that absolutely everything that could be done consistently was done consistently even if I thought it'd make no difference.

And again I need to state, this test is NOT and CANNOT tell you what product is 'better'. That is not what i'm doing, that is not what I'm implying. I will NOT be making any sort of judgement about the products in the video. (apart from one particularly bad product that literally didn't even null properly with ITSELF).
This test is simply intended to demonstrate that two products that in terms of THD and most tests commonly done here measure excellently and to a degree that many would claim is inaudible, can still sound different, and behave differently when actually playing music/a non-steady-state signal.

Regardless of if this test setup is 'perfect' or not, the fact that results are repeatable, consistent, and show differences at surprisingly high levels, does show that there is something more to the story. Exactly what/why that is would require deeper investigation from someone with more knowledge and access to better equipment than myself.

I'm not doing this to go "see! You're wrong!", this is nothing to do with being right or wrong. If I wanted to be 'right' i'd go argue on reddit.

I'm just interested about what is actually causing these differences, and i'm frustrated that the subjectivist side of the market is saying "just use your ears", when I'd much rather get a proper, scientific answer as to what design/engineering choices affect what.
And the objectivist side of the market is claiming these differences don't exist at all and seems completely loathe to even test or investigate them at any level because THD is low and that's that!

I'm doing this to hopefully start a reasonable discussion that can then be built upon. That's all. I'm interested in this, I'm curious about it, and am simply frustrated that no one else is willing to try it.
And as previously mentioned, I am MORE than open to critique and suggestions for how to do this in the best way. Cause that's exactly what I want.

So if there are genuine suggestions then I would love to hear them.
But "your review is rubbish", "sinad is high shut up", "you don't even have an APx555 why bother" etc are not particularly useful

Last edited:

Dismayed

That's actually what I was telling my girlfriend when watching this review when he was describing the sound. "He's imagining things. It's all placebo because of the price compared to his other equipment."
But he made a little more sense when he mentioned IMD. But I would be surprised if the IMD would be high enough to be clearly noticeable.
And he did compare it to amps in the same price-range later in the video. So maybe it's not because of the price of the Magnius.

Still interested in his nulling-test.

Why would his null testing be done any more carefully than the rubbish review on Youtube?

Res-Head

Nothing was said in this video that should warrant any sort of bitterness. It is good to check measurements to give some sort of indication of how something will perform, but if there are quite audible (and confirmed by many listeners) flaws with a well-measuring product, then maybe we should indeed accept that the scope of measurements we currently have do not tell the full story. I especially implore anybody who has not actually heard a particular product, to refrain from using measurements to justify that something should sound great, because subjective listening may tell you otherwise.

Veri

Master Contributor
I especially implore anybody who has not actually heard a particular product, to refrain from using measurements to justify that something should sound great, because subjective listening may tell you otherwise.
By that logic the top/best on ASR would not sound necessarily good. I see no reason why that would be the case... none at all :rolleyes:

GoldenOne

Not Active
Any plans to do listening tests?
Of course, though those don't exactly go down all that well here.
When comparing DACs I volume match to 0.1dB, and use an XLR switchbox to change source. Getting my housemate to swap cables for me so that I don't know which is which.
By that logic the top/best on ASR would not sound necessarily good. I see no reason why that would be the case... none at all :rolleyes:
Well, the whole intention is to provide a reason. This is exactly the mindset that I think is bad.
It doesn't matter WHAT you think, you should be open to new information or having existing beliefs challenged when there is reasonable evidence for it. Otherwise progress would never be achieved would it?

'The earth is flat and you can't tell me otherwise, my own tests prove it so that's that'.

Though as stated before, what is "good" would require more in-depth testing.
In any case, i'll post the video here once its done. And in the meantime if anyone has suggestions as to additional tests that could be included I am more than happy to do so if they are reasonable/possible.
Why would his null testing be done any more carefully than the rubbish review on Youtube?
Thank you for your insightful and constructive criticism.

KTN46

But "your review is rubbish", "sinad is high shut up", "you don't even have an APx555 why bother" etc are not particularly useful

I'd like to thank you for your earnest replies here, despite the hostile tone present. I'd like to reiterate that I'm not trying to argue, and I apologise for having a hostile tone in my initial message. I have some questions:

Are these null tests being only done for DACs? Are you planning to demonstrate the elements you hear in your review in amp null testing/measurements too?

The review seems a bit contradictory to your desire to find common ground between a subjective and objective viewpoint. My understanding is that the common ground would literally be proof that the subjective element is measurable and audible, against the null hypothesis of it being placebo. It would be illogical to assume there is some mythical element to audio that is immeasurable. To that end, why didn't you include amp null-testing and blind listening tests in the review? Do you think your subjective opinion on the Magnius' sound signature will be reinforced with blind listening tests/null-testing?

Your review uses many words like "fatiguing", "pushing dynamics forward", "texture", "lower-end timbre", "separation" (in the context of DAC/AMPs)... But to this day I have not seen evidence that these words are physically quantifiable in any way. How would you prove any of the subjective terms here actually exist, separate from placebo, in null testing?

Furthermore you state a repeated frustration that ASR's measurements are incomplete. Do you have any academic evidence to show what other measurements may be in need of consideration? I'm particularly interested in the assertion that 'real' music presents a dimension not measured by @amirm's current test suite. Would you be willing to do at least the multitone test in your null testing?

GoldenOne

Not Active
I'd like to thank you for your earnest replies here, despite the hostile tone present. I'd like to reiterate that I'm not trying to argue, and I apologise for having a hostile tone in my initial message. I have some questions:

Are these null tests being only done for DACs? Are you planning to demonstrate the elements you hear in your review in amp null testing/measurements too?

I apologise too. Hostility is not at all my intention.

I would love to do the same for amps, but have not done so yet simply because I don't have the equipment necessary to do so. A dac can just be connected to the ADC and off you go pretty much. But for an amp you need an appropriate dummy load, and also that then raises questions of amplifier performance with a static vs a true mechanical/reactive load.
I also just have had access to many more dacs than I have amps so that's also a big factor.

If I am in future able to do so then yes I would love to do a similar thing with amplifiers, but at present I don't have the equipment needed.

The review seems a bit contradictory to your desire to find common ground between a subjective and objective viewpoint. My understanding is that the common ground would literally be proof that the subjective element is measurable and audible, against the null hypothesis of it being placebo. It would be illogical to assume there is some mythical element to audio that is immeasurable.
I completely agree. And that would be my end goal, to hopefully have an answer (most likely from someone much more knowledgeable than myself) as to how various subjective aspects are determined from an objective standpoint.
I'm sure much of that we can do now. Its fairly common that devices with more 2nd order harmonics sound subjectively 'warmer' than devices with equal SINAD but predominantly 3rd order harmonics for example. So there is likely plenty of stuff that can be explained with relative ease.

But then i'm sure there are also plenty of things that cannot be explained. Rob Watts from chord for example has said previously that in their own internal testing, they've found that things such as running noise shapers to -300dB accuracy rather than a level such as -150dB that would otherwise be considered "inaudible" regardless, still provides a benefit. How much of this is true I don't know, but it was an interesting remark nonetheless.
Or things like the MScaler. He also says that there is no on-paper reason as to why the MScaler should improve soundstage perception, and yet it does. He himself says he doesn't know why that is, but it does.
I tried this myself, and also even had a couple family members try a blind test, and with ten runs with each of them, there was not a single instance in which any of them did not correctly pick which one had the MScaler enabled.

So I'm sure there are also a lot of things that either cannot be measured with current equipment/technology, or the reasons for why certain differences are perceived may be unexplained for quite some time.

But this goes in two ways. Its from a scientific standpoint equally as incorrect to proclaim something DOES make a difference with 0 evidence as to proclaim it DOESN'T make a difference with 0 evidence. Until such time as proper evidence is provided its all speculation. But one can also make the argument that if you CAN have better, even if you think it might not make a difference, then why not?

To that end, why didn't you include amp null-testing and blind listening tests in the review?

The lack of null test is because as mentioned above I don't have the required dummy load to test it against something else (I also have doubts about static vs mechanical load behaviour on amps).
Do you think your subjective opinion on the Magnius' sound signature will be reinforced with blind listening tests/null-testing?
Yes. And once I am able I'll do that. Blind testing of amps is trickier than DACs though because I have to leave the room for each run (because even just the sound of the connector could tell you which amp is which if you were blindfolded etc). There is greater delay etc.

With DACs its much easier. I volume match the dacs, have my housemate randomise the cables (cover the back with a blanket too) and off I go.
Though the reason i've not included that in the video is quite frankly it doesn't prove anything. Anyone who feels that the dacs sound the same will simply claim i've faked it, I didn't volume match properly, something something. And I'd rather not make a 1-2hr video with uninterrupted footage of me ABX'ing DACs.
It won't be included in the reviews, because for people seeking subjective opinion they'll have no interest in it, and for those wanting absolute objective proof it wouldn't be conclusive or thorough enough no matter what I did.

I will make a standalone video at somepoint though filming the process uninterrupted.

Your review uses many words like "fatiguing", "pushing dynamics forward", "texture", "lower-end timbre", "separation" (in the context of DAC/AMPs)... But to this day I have not seen evidence that these words are physically quantifiable in any way. How would you prove any of the subjective terms here actually exist, separate from placebo, in null testing?
It doesn't. The null test doesn't give any information about how differences relate to subjective findings. It just demonstrates that differences exist.
That's all.

Determining what causes subjective differences is a different challenge entirely and honestly I don't know if it could realistically be done without quite extensive testing with a large number of participants. Which would need the backing of someone with plenty of cash to spend.
Us folk on a forum can only do so much.

I'm sure some companies/manufacturers probably have some hard evidence on such things. But if they do it'd be in their interest to keep that to themselves rather than sharing it with competitors.
Furthermore you state a repeated frustration that ASR's measurements are incomplete. Do you have any academic evidence to show what other measurements may be in need of consideration? I'm particularly interested in the assertion that 'real' music presents a dimension not measured by @amirm's current test suite. Would you be willing to do at least the multitone test in your null testing?

And I stand by that statement. As i've said here and elsewhere. Objective information is very important. But when test conditions are not consistent, the measurements done are not consistent (the fact that the measurements included vary from product to product is questionable), and when there is 0 room for criticism, it makes further discussion impossible.
I'm not going to say any more there because I don't want to tangent onto an argument when there's no need though.

Yep, I'll include a multitone test too. (It will be excluded from a few simply because I don't have the dacs anymore, but for anything I have access to at the moment i'll include)

Veri

Master Contributor
Well, the whole intention is to provide a reason. This is exactly the mindset that I think is bad.
It doesn't matter WHAT you think, you should be open to new information or having existing beliefs challenged when there is reasonable evidence for it. Otherwise progress would never be achieved would it?

'The earth is flat and you can't tell me otherwise, my own tests prove it so that's that'.
To compare standardised measurement suites for an objective look on how a device will perform "as intended", as in audibly in full working order and transparent; to a fleat-earther's look on things is just ridiculous.

This is Audio Science Review. It makes sense to look at a DAC that excels in every single way and to conclude it should work very well. What you're saying, that it does not suffice and there could be some secret voodoo thing that still makes it sound bad, sets us back some decennia. Why not buy some magic rocks to empirically evaluate while you're at it. I heard placing a doorstop on your DAC makes it better too!

:rolleyes:

KTN46

I heard placing a doorstop on your DAC makes it better too!

I do wonder how one would separate a subjective opinion as ridiculous as this from the more 'objective' seeming ones that use more pseudo-professional terminology. I presume @GoldenOne will balk at people who claim cables or doorstops or Synergistic Products make a difference... So how do we weigh subjective opinions on Audio if we are to try to find this 'middle ground'?

What I'm trying to ask is how confident a viewer should be about the 'truthfulness' of your review, given that we have no way of checking if your opinions are marred by bias or placebo or any such confounding variable. I'm not saying that you aren't hearing these differences, but how can one be sure that those differences you describe are due to the Magnius alone?

companyja

I'd still like to address the idea that sine waves are unrepresentative of real music as if real music has some secret waveforms hidden inside that are not sine waves. I ask this because if we agree that the entire purpose of DACs is to create sine waves from discrete samples, then multitone testing would be entirely representative of music playback, no?

I always like referring back to this classic video, where you can see that even a square wave which is perhaps the most extreme example of a non-sine wave is made up entirely of sine waves.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd still like to address the idea that sine waves are unrepresentative of real music as if real music has some secret waveforms hidden inside that are not sine waves. I ask this because if we agree that the entire purpose of DACs is to create sine waves from discrete samples, then multitone testing would be entirely representative of music playback, no?
Multitone testing is representative of a circuit handling multiple frequencies simultaneously. It mimics music to a degree but not entirely across the hearing spectrum. It's as good as we have without actually using a musical waveform that has instantaneous values that are changing too rapidly to be used for instantaneous value measurement. For the skeptics it is explained in Fourier Theory and is very complex to explain and so I doubt we will be recommending that to skeptics because it's very complicated.

I always like referring back to this classic video, where you can see that even a square wave which is perhaps the most extreme example of a non-sine wave is made up entirely of sine waves.
See above for Fourier Theory.

Last edited:

companyja

Interesting, yeah I figured there was a reason we don't test with actual music, so essentially the multitone test is the most comprehensive multiple frequency test that we can still read? Can we estimate how much further distortion might rise with a particularly complex passage of music? If we have DACs that can frequently clear 120dB in mutlitone testing today, would music maybe knock it down a few more dB? 10? 20? If it's anything over 100dB I'm quite happy, hell even down to -85dB and I wouldn't care for those distortion products.

I'm gonna have to watch that video when I have time to understand exactly what's happening if I'm not thinking about it straight. But it still sounds like sine wave testing shouldn't be seen as some arbitrary benchmark value which wouldn't affect music playback, inasmuch as the video talked about manufacturers optimizing gear for benchmarks, not for music. As far as I understand IMD would be a non-issue on most amplifiers today, but I'll leave it to amir or someone who does measurements to confirm - which other parameters can we test for that might correlate to amplifier performance?

Top Bottom