• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurements and Review of Schiit Yggdrasil DAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Seems like the Schiit-storm Amor started by measuring the devices has generated a lot of troll traffic to this site. Most threads these days are essentially unreadable, or at least impossible to follow, due to all the inane posts.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Seems like the Schiit-storm Amor started by measuring the devices has generated a lot of troll traffic to this site. Most threads these days are essentially unreadable, or at least impossible to follow, due to all the inane posts.

If Amir stops testing Schiit products the fanboys will have little reason to be here and we will see other products tested to our benefit.;)

Dimitri

Most threads these days are essentially unreadable, or at least impossible to follow,
Reviews shoud be on their own thread and comments on another.
At least whatever commenting follows , will leave the review intact, short and sweet.
I'd vote for that too :)

PS: Thread dilution is a known trick /accident/phenomenon/ disease (depending on intent or lack thereof ) since the days of irc over dialup. As more and more people post "walls of text", everyone's skimming skills improve as well :)

Eric Auer

Probably why the Trolls came here in the first place.

Eric

Dismayed

If Amir stops testing Schiit products the fanboys will have little reason to be here and we will see other products tested to our benefit.;)

Oops. I have one piece of Schiit left, and it's now in Amir's possession . . .

Wombat

Master Contributor
And fewer nuts. :D

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
A union of loafers,
That sounds about right. :eek::D

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I keep getting everyone's Schiit....

I was going to "like" this post but was not sure that I really wanted to be liking Amir's Schiit...

Now and then I step back and think "So this is what this thread has come to? Bad puns?" :)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Now and then I step back and think "So this is what this thread has come to? Bad puns?"
Yes, that's my feelings exactly.
They say any press is good press and this thread with it's thousand puns is a Google click bait goldmine.

Cosmik

Major Contributor
Mike Moffat is the pretty much the first designer of the stand alone dac
It was him was it? The first person to break the feedback loop between DAC and transport, thus ushering in the era of multiple sample clocks and resulting jitter...

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
It was him was it? The first person to break the feedback loop between DAC and transport, thus ushering in the era of multiple sample clocks and resulting jitter...
Yes, but think of all the fun the industry, and us audiophiles, have had since then in solving the self-inflicted problem, putting the toothpaste back in the tube, as it were.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
a
I was going to "like" this post but was not sure that I really wanted to be liking Amir's Schiit...

Now and then I step back and think "So this is what this thread has come to? Bad puns?" :)

Sniffing.........
Not all the puns were bad. :(

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
There is good and bad with all progress. Henry Ford put the used horse dealerships out of business!

Rene

.....and the rest is history.

garbulky

Major Contributor
@amirm I was discussing the issue of bit depth bought up here with the yggy apparently acheiving 16 bits using the linearity measurement. I was told that linearity had almost nothing to do with determining bit depth. It was S/N ratio that determines it. With the Yggy having 119 db which produces the 21 bits claimed.
I would like to know
1. What you think of that.
2. Where are the S/N tests?

Here's where I'm getting it from (headfi).: The poster has a doctorate in electronic engineering
"I've been trying to stay out of the argument/discussion about someone's measurements on some other forum I know nothing about, and what they might or might not mean. But I will say one thing concerning bit depth and the discussion above. The practical effect of bit depth is it determines the dynamic range of the signal and the S/N of the device. In theory, a 24-bit digital audio signal has a maximum dynamic range of a little over 144db, and 16-bit is approx. 96db. The S/N of a digital device demonstrates it's practical bit depth capability. According to the Schiit website Yggdrasil is rated (I have not measured it) at >119db S/N, which calculates to approximately 21 bits. Linearity is not a determinant of bit depth."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom