• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

"Different" music for bored music lovers

Moderate Dionysianism

This group have a habit of churning out pieces that make you think ‘I’ve heard this before’ then 60 seconds in its ‘maybe not’. The drummer Seb Rochford is highly underrated from a commercial standpoint but possibly one of the most innovative percussionists in jazz alive, at least IMO:

https://polarbearmusic.bandcamp.com/music

Oh yes, Seb's projects surely deserve more love! I adore PB, but just in case they aren't adventurous enough for this thread, here's something he cooked up last year. Basically, he shaved his head and went to India to study. But did he come back with some world music or spiritual drones to burn your incense to? Nah, he came back with some of the most cryptic doomjazz in recent times, IMHO better than Bohren & Der Club of Gore's latest release:

Boundaries can be pushed sonically, but also stylistically. I think this is the case with Russian spiritual hip-hop:
Understanding the language helps a lot, obviously. Personally I was really surprised hearing and entire hip-hop album devoted to topics like being a decent person, good friend and so on. They seem to be inspired mainly by the Orthodox Christian spirituality, but there's no shoving religion down your throat.

Back to purely sonic explorations, I think there's still a lot of unrealized potential in electroacoustic music, which, when done right, can reveal incredible synergies between the two media. Here are some of my recent favorites:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Oh, if we're going vintage different...

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA2-nXsHvm3LuLN9ourpPaiQS_fQ2EexG

1612370131716.png

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
In full disclosure -- I am quite enamored of the Dead... but I struggle with Anthem.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Psy sings and performs "Gangnam Style". 3.9 billion views don't lie.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice thread! I don't usually enjoy/listen to metal, but the albums in the 1st post actually do it for me!

Ok, my turn for some "different" music.

Tod Dockstader ‎– "Luna Park; Traveling Music; Apocalypse" (1966)

Cosey Fanni Tutti - "Time to Tell" (1983)

Les Joyaux de la Princesse - "Aux Petits Enfants de France" (1989)

Стук Бамбука в XI Часов - "Лёгкое Дело Холод" (1991)

I hope you enjoy the trip.

Last edited:

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I feel like Scott Walker has touched on every western genre in this thread. Depending on your existing predisposition for "different" music, this is a good one if you're just wading into it:

Otherwise, this is an instant classic to me as someone who enjoys things rough around the edges:

He really was all over the place, one of his final albums was entirely with Sun O)))) which sort of fits with OP's suggestions

pads

Got a few mainly on vinyl some ambient, some folk, some private press, some re-issue. To start, L'Empire Des Sons

pads

A re-issue, former Vietnam vet who made one album and was basically ignored, F.J. McMahon was rediscovered in the late 90's with the re-issue coming out in 2012. It's a great album and captures the mood of those who served in that war and the times around it.

pads

^^ The last video shows the artist walking by a Hudson Bay store, this is definitely not happenstance as the firm did not have a good track record dealing with the indigenous population from the get go across Canada. Perhaps a subtle f**k you....

Top Bottom