• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Unusual Speaker Designs

Lorenzo74

Really curious how the Tektons and their tweeter arrays end up measuring..
Alexander implement such tweeters array with proper XOver that avoid comb filters. It is like a concentric mid-tweeters. On axes freq. resp. is ok. Of course off axis (check stereophile meas) you have pick and dips.
If placed in a proper room the advantages of having the 200-2000Hz range reproduced by few grams of membrane (tweeter array) instead heavier mid should create a better waterfall and improve transient dynamics.
They patented it, is available on line. To me it is a patent not very scientific but was granted.
the idea make sense to me.
never listen unfortunately
My 2 cents

Shazb0t

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Alexander implement such tweeters array with proper XOver that avoid comb filters. It is like a concentric mid-tweeters. On axes freq. resp. is ok. Of course off axis (check stereophile meas) you have pick and dips.
If placed in a proper room the advantages of having the 200-2000Hz range reproduced by few grams of membrane (tweeter array) instead heavier mid should create a better waterfall and improve transient dynamics.
They patented it, is available on line. To me it is a patent not very scientific but was granted.
the idea make sense to me.
never listen unfortunately
My 2 cents
I'm glad that the idea makes sense to you, but I've never seen any actual research that concludes the weight of the drivers is an important factor in reproducing transients. To your point, we can just look at the CSD of different drivers. If there isn't audible ringing in a "normal" midrange driver, how would making something that is already inaudible potentially more inaudible improve the sound quality? It won't, but I fear that the compromises made to fix this non problem are likely more impactful than anything else gained by the tweeter array. I would like to see it measured on the Klippel NFS.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe these are not so unusual except for the cabinet shape and ports, but I am drawn to these Ethera Vitae the measurements look good.
http://www.soundstagenetwork.com/revequip/ethera_vitae.htm
1612102091745.png
1612102160036.png

Attachments

• 1612102130052.png
    1612102130052.png
    21.4 KB · Views: 91

Lorenzo74

I'm glad that the idea makes sense to you, but I've never seen any actual research that concludes the weight of the drivers is an important factor in reproducing transients. To your point, we can just look at the CSD of different drivers. If there isn't audible ringing in a "normal" midrange driver, how would making something that is already inaudible potentially more inaudible improve the sound quality? It won't, but I fear that the compromises made to fix this non problem are likely more impactful than anything else gained by the tweeter array. I would like to see it measured on the Klippel NFS.
Mmm

Sorry but I respectuffy disagree. Great tweeters (Bliesma, scanspeak, SEAS) tends to gave lower resonance freq to allow lower xo point to relief 5-6-7 inch woofer to play at 2-3kHz where their mass will be difficult to be controlled (and the dispersion will be too narrow)
CSD of a 6.5 inch at 2kHz is different form the one of a tweeter. Than we might debate impact on audibility.
In my limited experience playing with digital xo, between woofer and tweeter always tend to prefer lower crossover frequency where tweeter play since 1.5kHz upwards.
if you say driver weight, all being equal, do not affect waterfall,... let’s make some measurements and then we discuss.
my Best

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Vandersteen uses stepped drivers, but has the decency to cover them with vertical grill cloth.

Reactions: 617

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe these are not so unusual except for the cabinet shape and ports, but I am drawn to these Ethera Vitae the measurements look good.
http://www.soundstagenetwork.com/revequip/ethera_vitae.htm
View attachment 109624View attachment 109626

The Ethera Vitae I auditioned in the late 90's/early 2000s was one of my favorite speakers back then. Particularly amazing for piano for whatever reason. I still occaisionally think of picking up a rare pair. (They are HUGE monitors).

OP
pozz

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 55960

The top one reminds me of the heyday of time-aligned loudspeakers (late '70s/early '80s) :)

Heathkit 1981
View attachment 55956

KEF 105(.2, in this case)
View attachment 55957

Technics SB-7000
View attachment 55958

Polk Audio Monitor 12, RTA-12 (etc.)
View attachment 55959

etc. :)

Regarding time-aligned designs, the Ino Audio pi60 has been around since the end of 70s and are still around. Measures and sound good.

Hogtalarna_nara_vanster_5.jpg

http://www.torgny.biz/Stereo systems_2.htm

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
keeping it clean...

shower speaker.jpg

Top Bottom