• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard X16 Balanced MQA DAC Review

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
A small typo. Could you fix it with a firmware update?
I think the spelling is intentional. The notation
34f933ad7a8dc310b3fa8e9f7b0b2558cba136db
is used for sampling rate in mathematics.

boblo

Interesting, I didn't know that.

It's also used by iFi, Lumin and other brands. It seems that MQA is very demanding even with the information that should appear on the display. Wow... Is MQA a sect? (I'm just kidding, naturally) :p

Seriously, I would like to know if the X16 and other models by Gustard support firmware updates... This is very convenient for fixing problems that are detected in the future.

Thanks guys

cbayschm

Forum Donor
Interesting, I didn't know that.

Seriously, I would like to know if the X16 and other models by Gustard support firmware updates... This is very convenient for fixing problems that are detected in the future.

Thanks guys

They do have firmware updates, but seems they only have a firmware update for the U16 model on their webpage right now. Gustard did say on a previous post that the firmware for the X16 was perfect and didn't need any update, but if something does come up, we should be able to do a firmware update .

The Gustard webpage for those who don't know (I have seen people say they don't have one on this forum) is: http://www.gustard.cn

Also they have a new version of the USB driver (v5.0.0) on the webpage. I saw someone post a link here on the forum, but if you prefer to push the link from the official website, it is up.

Dannemand

It's almost certain they DO support firmware updates. There is one for U18 on the ShenzhenAudio download page linked below. That's also where you'll find the new 5.0.0 Gustard driver.

https://download.shenzhenaudio.com

BUT during an email exchange with Gustard support last year (and yes, they do respond nicely) they pointed out that firmware updates cannot change the display and user interface. That was for A18, but I would be surprised if it's any different for X16.

Oops, @cbayschm beat me to it. By one minute :D

boblo

BUT during an email exchange with Gustard support last year (and yes, they do respond nicely) they pointed out that firmware updates cannot change the display and user interface.
Indeed. Earlier I asked @gustard for an update to show the bit depth of sources and their reply was negative. If the X16 would show sample rate along with bit depth like more expensive DACs such as Matrix X Sabre Pro, Mytek Brooklyn or Pro-Ject Pre Box RS2 Digital, it would be perfect. However, now I'm convinced to buy one. I think that the X16 is the best bang for the buck DAC right now.

Dannemand

Indeed. Earlier I asked @gustard for an update to show the bit depth of sources and their reply was negative. If the X16 would show sample rate along with bit depth like more expensive DACs such as Matrix X Sabre Pro, Mytek Brooklyn or Pro-Ject Pre Box RS2 Digital, it would be perfect. However, now I'm convinced to buy one. I think that the X16 is the best bang for the buck DAC right now.
Yes, I can see that.

For my part I wish they would show in large letters what you are actually changing with the remote (volume, input, settings) then revert to the composite display after a few seconds of idle. I use the A18 in our living room, directly into a power amp, and it's inconvenient having to get up all the time to see what I am changing.

But no (or few) devices are perfect in every way, and sound quality is awesome on the A18. I am sure it is on X16 as well. I agree it's great value!

gustard

Audio Company
What is OFS ?

‘MQA’ or ‘MQA.’ indicates that the product is decoding and playing an MQA stream or file, and denotes provenance to ensure that the sound is identical to that of the source material. ‘MQA.’ indicates that not only is it playing an MQA Studio file, but the file has also either been approved in the studio by the artist/producer or has been verified by the copyright owner.

OFS means that x16 has received the mqa signal that has been expanded by one level. OFS represents the O riginal S ampling F requency. That is, the original sample rate specification before folding into MQA format

A Surfer

Major Contributor
Very happy, my X16 also arrived today. Thank you Shenzhenaudio! The shame of things is that I will not be at my home where my stereo is until the weekend at the earliest so all I do is get to hold and admire the build quality. Seems quite nice. Looking forward to hooking the X16 up.

nerekan

‘MQA’ or ‘MQA.’ indicates that the product is decoding and playing an MQA stream or file, and denotes provenance to ensure that the sound is identical to that of the source material. ‘MQA.’ indicates that not only is it playing an MQA Studio file, but the file has also either been approved in the studio by the artist/producer or has been verified by the copyright owner.

OFS means that x16 has received the mqa signal that has been expanded by one level. OFS represents the O riginal S ampling F requency. That is, the original sample rate specification before folding into MQA format
this information must be added to the first post (in the header), in large red print!
@gustard publishes again + 3 times quoted by other participants

Last edited:

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Just set it up. Checking different bit rates. So far so good. Will listen with headphones for a few days first before moving it to my speakers setup.

20210126_211722.jpg

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
@gustard , is there a way to use the remote to turn off the DAC? I don't see a power on/off button....

boblo

@gustard , is there a way to use the remote to turn off the DAC? I don't see a power on/off button....
Can't turn the unit off with the button at the top of the remote? So the only way to turn the unit off is with the main switch at the rear?? I think it's a little bit awkward...

@gustard: Are you going to release a better remote that can be purchased separately?

boblo

Interesting, I get OFS when I turn off MQA decoding. So this means that the Gustard X16 can only do the second unfold right? I guess if it doesnt affect the sound quality its not bad right? The 44 seems a bit low for the master tracks but maybe it was just the ones I chose for this small test. Ill try coax as well.

View attachment 108535View attachment 108536
Did you try the playlists mentioned before?
https://tidal.com/browse/playlist/1cbce60c-2412-451e-a1e1-39faf87b617b
https://tidal.com/browse/playlist/ed8350de-a7db-4b02-b17b-edeeeeb98b32

I would like to know the result. Thanks.

P_Stein

A small typo. Could you fix it with a firmware update?

@P_Stein : Keep in mind that the Node 2i won't play audio higher than 192kHz. I think this is true even if you got a 768kHz capable DAC.

Well, I'm not sure about the above, I cannot find that info. on the Internet. The Bluesound specs claim the following:
Native Sampling Rates
32 - 192 kHz
Bit Depths
16 - 24
DAC
32-Bit, 192kHz

I recommend that you write to Bluesound support.

Try with this playlist (all tracks are 192kHz) and watch the sample rate on the display (you should not have any issues):
https://tidal.com/browse/playlist/1cbce60c-2412-451e-a1e1-39faf87b617b
Then try with this one (all tracks are 352.8kHz):
https://tidal.com/browse/playlist/ed8350de-a7db-4b02-b17b-edeeeeb98b32

Hope this helps.

Works! Thanks for the two playlists. Also, here are my settings just in case someone is wondering.
IMG_0017.jpgIMG_0018.PNG

Top Bottom