• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2 FS Version 2 DAC and Headphone Amp Review

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
In fairness though it does say to adjust the shelf filter gains to taste but I have a lot of trouble accepting that someone out there would actually like the 5.5dB bass boost.
I do. I'm using the Oratory EQ for my HD600s and the low shelf bass boost really hits the spot for me. :)

You're right though - very subjective thing.

SimpleTheater

Forum Donor
You mean something like this:
https://www.rme-audio.de/adi-2-pro-fs-be.html

Only with more inputs?
That is SO CLOSE to what I need. Just need a set of RCA inputs in addition to the balanced. I have to think if there is a way I can make that work in my system. Thanks.

EDIT: Sadly, it won't work for my setup. I need another digital input (not USB). My Yamaha MusicCast would use the optical in and I could convert my turntable RCA's to balanced, but my CD needs either another set of balanced inputs or coax input.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That is SO CLOSE to what I need. Just need a set of RCA inputs in addition to the balanced. I have to think if there is a way I can make that work in my system. Thanks.
Just use 2 adapters.
883-na2mpmm.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/NEUTRIK-NA2MPMM-ADAPTOR-PLUG-PHONO/dp/B003XQ49RI

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There are more digital inputs in that breakout cable on the left.

750-ADI2ProFSRBE_detail1.jpg

Aerith Gainsborough

So, listening to my Clear on the ADI, I do have to admit that it sounds a wee bit cold/thin.

I used the EQ to replicate the effect of the 35Ω output impedance of my soundcard (the sound I am used to for 2 years now). Was a fun experiment. I think I got pretty close, though the filter settings are rather interesting: 3.5dB @ 120Hz with a Q of 0.7.
Clear 35Ohm EQ.png

Very cool to be able to shape the sound in hardware instead of relying on some happenstance of beneficial interaction between impedances.

Last edited:

JIW

So, listening to my Clear on the ADI, I do have to admit that it sounds a wee bit cold/thin.

I used the EQ to replicate the effect of the 35Ω output impedance of my soundcard (the sound I am used to for 2 years now). Was a fun experiment. I think I got pretty close, though the filter settings are rather interesting: 3.5dB @ 120Hz with a Q of 0.7.
View attachment 108591
Very cool to be able to shape the sound in hardware instead of relying on some happenstance of beneficial interaction between impedances.

Based on Amir's measurement of the Clear's impedance curve, the only filter should be a peak filter at 60 Hz with gain of 3.1 dB (round to 3.0 on RME) and Q of 1.5. The slight rise in the high frequencies is negligible.
1611698011266.png

You can also try oratory1990's EQ to the Harman target for the ADI-2 DAC: https://www.dropbox.com/s/oj6t9vfloag6dls/Focal Clear (RME ADI-2).pdf?dl=0. The gain on the low shelf is to preference.

MC_RME

Technical Expert
Audio Company
LOL inded I need to get to crazy levels until I see the OVR message on the level meters.

So I shall set my software at 0dB then (even with +10dB boosts at some frequencies), and not worry.

That's not what I meant. @ElNino wrote about that already. IMHO whatever software you use should warn you against overs or prevent them. Note that you can activate the Dual Level Meter (Setup - Options - Display - Hor. Meter - Dual), which shows both the digital input signal and the one sent out by the ADI after its own processing. That might help too.

Music1969

Major Contributor
That's not what I meant. @ElNino wrote about that already. IMHO whatever software you use should warn you against overs or prevent them. Note that you can activate the Dual Level Meter (Setup - Options - Display - Hor. Meter - Dual), which shows both the digital input signal and the one sent out by the ADI after its own processing. That might help too.

Ok thanks. And thanks @ElNino for catching this in the reply and clarifying

danadam

I have a lot of trouble accepting that someone out there would actually like the 5.5dB bass boost.
Quite a chunk of this boost is to counteract that wide dip at 125 Hz. If I read the graph correctly, the actual boost at 60 Hz is 2.5 dB and at 50 Hz 3.5 dB:
hd600.eq.png

DomieMic65

In oratory1990 settings for hd600 eq there are 5 bands but also two more for low and high shelf .. how do we set them since the ADI-2 has 5 band eq?
Thnx!

Attachments

• sennheiser hd600 (rme adi-2).pdf
    409.4 KB · Views: 650

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
In oratory1990 settings for hd600 eq there are 5 bands but also two more for low and high shelf .. how do we set them since the ADI-2 has 5 band eq?
Thnx!

I believe thats using the standard bass and treble settings as low and high shelves and somewhere in the settings you can adjust what freq those 2 rise/ fall at. Just dont ask me where!

dougi

Thanx guys!!
That was it...
PEQ bands 1 and 5 allow setting as shelving filters. Yes the bass and treble adjustments you can do similar but without control over Q.

DomieMic65

PEQ bands 1 and 5 allow setting as shelving filters. Yes the bass and treble adjustments you can do similar but without control over Q.
Yes but if you see in the pdf I posted above there are different settings for B1 & B5 and different for low & high shelf.

JIW

Q on the Bass and Treble can be set between 0.5 and 1.5 with steps of 0.1. See manual p. 23.

dougi

Q on the Bass and Treble can be set between 0.5 and 1.5 with steps of 0.1. See manual p. 23.
Oh yes. I forgot that. Yes I agree that you should use bass and treble as much as possible to be able to free up the other filters if you need them.

ninetylol

RME ADI-2 DAC FS Version 2 USB SINAD vs Level Audio Measurements.png

If I was using the RCA out as a equalized DAC would the SINAD drop to as low as 109?

Since my active speakers have a input sensitivity of 700mV I cant use higher voltages than about 2V.

Since I already have an headphone amp, would another DAC like SU-9 be superior for my case? (losing eq though)

Top Bottom