• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Yamaha HS7 Review (studio monitor)

Francis Vaughan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The NS-10 seems to be viewed in pro circles with a mix of regret, denial, and defensiveness. Nobody defending it claims it was any good. But it was a known standard sound. Notwithstanding that the ubiquitous piece of tissue paper over the tweeter was clearly an admission that not all was well. It probably became part of the known standard sound.
But it wasn’t just the NS-10. The Auratone 5C monitors sitting on the meter bridge were part of the ubiquitous setup too. And they were objectively even worse. But everyone knew what their sound was.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The speaker is voiced opposite of my taste with a dip 1-2 kHz vs 3-4 kHz. Such speakers will sound bright and forward. Invert the curve and it will sound much more pleasant.

F1308

Major Contributor
I saw some audio test comparing them to other speakers and simply didn't like what I heard.
Next step HS8 is much better, to my liking.

FeddyLost

Just curious: are you speaking from professional experience?
No, I'm not a working sound engineer, just interested in studio equip and seen some cheap studios available locally.
Usually commercial profitable projects use extensive room treatment and best equipment they can get including room correction.
Monitors like these are some bedroom control for one-man-banders with guitar or desktop speakers if owner likes them.

if professionals look for that sort of thing these days
I think at least HD is a reason to look for something better, even it bent FR will be nice for someone.
If you have something clean and flat, you can add all the EQ and distortions that you want.
I think, acoustic science moved a lot since NS-10.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
They look like a TV speaker.

Actually TV speakers, even flat panel potato speakers sound better than a Horror-Tone.

The NS-10Ms are not that bad. They are, let's face it, a tiny, sealed speaker designed in the late 1970s and actually do a lot of things right.

The fact that they became a de-facto standard for mixing console bridge placement duty was only because the NS-1000M was so good in the first place. They got a ride in the door due to their big brother's reputation. In fact, most of Yamaha's sealed (acoustic suspension) speakers from the same era, rode the coat tails of the NS-1000M.

Ajax

Forum Donor
For anyone searching for a good quality "budget" studio monitor check out Amir's review from last month of the Adam T5V, which sells for US$400 a pair vs US$640 a pair for the HS7.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/adam-t5v-review-studio-monitor.18122/

Amir reported that

"Out of the box, slapped on my desk with half inch foam under it, the sound was very good. It was a tad bright so I dialed in a quick shelf filter. Done! Track after track sounded beautiful. There was surprising amount of bass combined with ability to get quite loud...... I then sat back and just listened. And listened. Joy, oh joy! :)"

I have had a pair of the Adam A7 for over 10 years and can vouch for the sound quality, build and reliability.

No brainer.

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I didn't want to compare but when @Ajax started, so here is middle EU comparison at current prices:
Yamaha HS7 / 190 € (min. eshop price) / warranty 2 years (legal)
Adam T7V / 170 € (min. eshop price) / warranty 5 years (2Y legal + 3Y mfg additional after web registration)

I guess in US there is 1 vs. 4Y warranty(?)..

dfuller

Major Contributor
They look like a TV speaker. :D
Entirely intentional. They were there as a "this is what your mix sounds like on a TV or in a department store" reference.

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
The Yamaha NS-10M and Auratone 5C both have a peaks at around 1.75K, which is why they're considered to be "revealing" in the midrange, with the 5C having more of a bandpassed flavor (car speakers, cheap hifi equipment):

NS-10M & 5C.PNG

The Yamaha HS7 moves this bump lower to 850 Hz, but combined with the treble tilt, these still are not the right speakers for people with treble sensitivity.

I have some experience on HS8s, and the work I did on them sounded dull on everything else. Definitely a speaker you have to learn, or for someone with HF loss who tends to mix in too much treble otherwise.

Edit: Realized I misread the HS7 FR graph by an order of magnitude. :)

Last edited:

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
I must agree with @amirm conclusion on this studio monitor. The frequency response is just too far off. @Maiky76 has demonstrated the power of equalization turning a preference score of 4 into better than 6.

BYRTT

Forum Donor
Well that one is more similar to the pair I got. And when I measure the in the room response back in 2018 it's pretty flat without eq.

Think differences in chart ratios of Amir's measured HS7 sample verse measured HS7 sample of S&R makes them look alot different.
JohnYang1997_2.png

Overlaid onto same ratios makes them alot less different..
JohnYang1997_1_x1x1_1000mS.gif

SpaceMonkey

Finally, looks better than i thought. Looking at my pair now. Thinking whether mackie 824 mk1/2 will be better...

SegaCD

But it wasn’t just the NS-10. The Auratone 5C monitors sitting on the meter bridge were part of the ubiquitous setup too. And they were objectively even worse. But everyone knew what their sound was.

Wasn't the point of AB-ing to speakers like the Auratones & NS-10M to simulate the response of low-fi consumer equipment or PA equipment?

A track can sound great over a set of TOTL JBL 4350s but if 95% of your potential market is listening over cheap 6.5" coaxials in their car, a 3.5" squawker in their portable AM/FM set, or as background music in a store then what you hear in the studio is likely not what most people will hear.

rmsanger

I really do enjoy my HS8's for nearfield listening. I have not tried to EQ them so possibly I can improve them even more; thanks for this review!

F1308

Major Contributor
Wasn't the point of AB-ing to speakers like the Auratones & NS-10M to simulate the response of low-fi consumer equipment or PA equipment?

A track can sound great over a set of TOTL JBL 4350s but if 95% of your potential market is listening over cheap 6.5" coaxials in their car, a 3.5" squawker in their portable AM/FM set, or as background music in a store then what you hear in the studio is likely not what most people will hear.
The funny thing is that your brain will get accustomed.
Only when the sound is really horrible you will not cope with it.
Otherwise, every single tone will be managed to match everything and make the scene nice, same as what happens with the pairing light/eyes.
We can get so accommodated to sound than even listening to the most outstanding loudspeakers, after a while it becomes too granted, and we stop appreciating it.
Same goes with cars. You upgrade and it is great, but after a time the magic stops and more is needed.
I often change the system serving music and after days or weeks I go back to the good one and YES, IT IS GREAT !!!!

dfuller

Major Contributor
Yup!

Top Bottom