• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Outlaw 2200 M-Block Amplifier Review

sriram_shol

I was aware that caps need to be secured but hadn't seen zips used before. Like I said I know of zip ties failing due to heat but IME that included UV exposure from the sun. They'll usually fail within a year or two when exposed to the summer sun down here.. Most amps I know use glued caps but Adcom used a nice mechanical method in my GFA-545 II's
View attachment 50309

Does this model come up with a speaker protection circuit? Because I have been using 555 MKII and the cap discharge would produce noise in the speakers. I have added a relay and speaker protection circuit for the same.

Regards,
Sriram

ngsm13

So, has anyone seen any hands/ears-on experience with the new Outlaw 2220s? :)

I've read through this thread, and I'm torn on taking the leap on a pair of them for my front L/R (Focal Chorus 726V), or going with the Monolith 2x.

Last edited:

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I've read through this thread, and I'm torn on taking the leap on a pair of them for my front L/R (Focal Chorus 726V), or going with the Monolith 2x.
I have a pair of M2200 and they are great with my 8-ohm 87dB speakers. However, with the sensitive 726V speakers wonder if you might want something with better SNR. The audioholics review of the Monolith raves about the low noise. They measure 98dB at 1W, but this is A weighted so difficult to compare directly with Amir's measurements. Still, it seems that the Monolith has significantly better SNR than the Outlaw.

I asked Outlaw about the 2220 vs 2200, and they replied with this:

Yes, a taller profile- about ¾ inch taller.
Comparing, there is more room inside the M2220. With the M2200 you can see the top of the power transformer almost right up against the top cover. The extra ¾ inch is provided for added space with the M2220.
With the M2220, there is better s/n ratio, better common mode rejection ratio (CMRR), a switched input stage for XLR/RCA; and a powered trigger output, so more than three mono-block amps can be triggered in a daisy-chain configuration.

iraweiss

Can somebody supply Amir with a 2220 to test? I have seen no reviews of this newer model.

iraweiss

Congratulations. Unfortunately it seems that the bundle price option for two or three amps in addition to the price reduction has disappeared so that the discount is not as good as it was yesterday.

CoolHandDuke

I'm debating on this as well. 400 cheaper for the Outlaw, but Monolith looks really well reviewed.

UCrazyKid

I have 3 2200’s a powerful amp in a nice compact size. Quiet with no fans, solid build. Regarding sound quality, they are very dynamic but a bit sterile. Great for home theater (they ran my front channels) but are a little harsh for 2-channel listening at times depending on the type of tweeter used by your speakers. I’ve had mine for many years without a hiccup, very reliable. They rarely come up in the used market so they are well liked by owners.

iraweiss

Differences between 2220 and Monolith are also size and weight (at my age, especially weight). 2220 is 16 lb, Monolith is 48.

ngsm13

I'm debating on this as well. 400 cheaper for the Outlaw, but Monolith looks really well reviewed.

I took the plunge during the Outlaw Holiday Sale, and couldn't be happier. I got a pair for $615 shipped, so it was a no-brainer between the two.

The Monolith, built by ATI, is a great amp. But, larger size (half-empty chassis even), and increased cost. I like the small, stackable chassis and they don't get hot at all. Nice, transparent amps, let the speakers shine!

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Regarding sound quality, they are very dynamic but a bit sterile.
Well that's a good thing, you wouldn't want to catch the Covid virus from it right?

CoolHandDuke

I took the plunge during the Outlaw Holiday Sale, and couldn't be happier. I got a pair for $615 shipped, so it was a no-brainer between the two.

The Monolith, built by ATI, is a great amp. But, larger size (half-empty chassis even), and increased cost. I like the small, stackable chassis and they don't get hot at all. Nice, transparent amps, let the speakers shine!
Thank you. Monolith is beastly looking and does seem to measure better, but I like smaller form of Outlaw and a pair is 400 less than Monolith. That said, if the signal to noise is audible, I would factor that in. The Outlaw also says less than 10k impedance. Don't I want that number to be higher?

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you. Monolith is beastly looking and does seem to measure better, but I like smaller form of Outlaw and a pair is 400 less than Monolith. That said, if the signal to noise is audible, I would factor that in. The Outlaw also says less than 10k impedance. Don't I want that number to be higher?
To give some idea, I am using using a pair of M2200 with 87dB, 8-ohm speakers. I have to put my ear right up to the tweeters to hear any hiss. I think SNR is good as you need unless your speakers are >90dB.

iraweiss

Signal to Noise specification:

Outlaw 112 dB A-weighted
Monolith 120 dB A-weighted

We need Amir to measure them and also let us know if noise or hum is audible.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Outlaw 112 dB A-weighted

Also my M2200 both have silent transformers.

CoolHandDuke

Outlaw 112 dB A-weighted

There are occasions with my current avr, where I'll push the volume closer to reference and I'll start to hear that noise. Most often, I do not, but want to be able to have that headroom. My speakers are 85dB sensitivity Sierra 2-EX.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There are occasions with my current avr, where I'll push the volume closer to reference and I'll start to hear that noise. Most often, I do not, but want to be able to have that headroom. My speakers are 85dB sensitivity Sierra 2-EX.
If your speakers are 85dB the I am about 100% sure the Outlaw's noise will not be a problem. Of course if your source or preamp are noisy the power amp can't help with that.

CoolHandDuke

If your speakers are 85dB the I am about 100% sure the Outlaw's noise will not be a problem. Of course if your source or preamp are noisy the power amp can't help with that.
That's good to hear. The lower impedance of Outlaws RCA input... is that something I should be concerned about?

Edit: their website says <10k, but manual shows >10k. Probably just a typo.

Last edited:
Top Bottom