• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface Gen 3 Review

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I bought a Cambridge Audio Duo based on the review posted here on ASR. However, it has a nominal output of only 300mV, which is why I wondered whether the extra gain with XLR in could be useful. But I guess I'll use TS adapters and adjust the gain manually, using the knobs on the front then.
The specs show the same gain for both inputs actually. Just different input impedances. If true and not a misprint, you'll be running gain quite low, but have plenty. Output can be up to a bit more than 4 volts. You should need only 22 db from 300 mv to reach about 4 volts out.

Most of these lower cost interfaces use the same gain circuit for line and microphone input. They just pad the line input down and raise the impedance. I guess in the case of the 2i2 as a cost saving measure they just changed the input impedance.

maxm272

Forum Donor
If you are going to use the Duo for de-emphasis and if you don't want to solder a custom thingy together, then that (RCA-F to TS) is the way to do it.

I can't solder, so TS it is.

If true and not a misprint, you'll be running gain quite low, but have plenty.
Output can be up to a bit more than 4 volts. You should need only 22 db from 300 mv to reach about 4 volts out.

Which gain that I'll be running quite low do you mean? The gain on the 2i2 for the individual channels, which can be turned up quite a bit?

Helicopter

Major Contributor

Which gain that I'll be running quite low do you mean? The gain on the 2i2 for the individual channels, which can be turned up quite a bit?

You'll be able to adjust to get gain that doesn't clip. The clipping indicator will help make that super easy. Just go until it clips and then back it off so it doesn't, then back it off a little bit more. You don't need to be super precise to get good results because the dynamic range of the 2i2 is way more than the dynamic range of the vinyl recording medium.

maxm272

Forum Donor
You'll be able to adjust to get gain that doesn't clip. The clipping indicator will help make that super easy. Just go until it clips and then back it off so it doesn't, then back it off a little bit more. You don't need to be super precise to get good results because the dynamic range of the 2i2 is way more than the dynamic range of the vinyl recording medium.

Sounds good, I'll do it that way. Thank you everybody for taking the time to reply. I'm fairly new to the audio game, so good advice is much appreciated!

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Yes the gain settings on the front for each input.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Mic input impedance is 3kOhm, Line input is 60kOhm. Phono outputs normally are designed for 47kOhm.
Nope, phono preamp inputs for MM must have 47 kOhm input impedance. The output impedance should be much lower (maximum 1 kOhm to feed a 10 kOhm line level input).

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I thought about making RCA-F to XLR-M with a 44kOhm series resistor, skipping the phono pre, going from TT to mic in and using software for RIAA de-emphasis.
Not a good idea, you'll lose around 35 dB of signal which you must recover using the gain of the mic preamp. Better connect directly to the line in (adding a resistor in parallel to reach the required input impedance of 47 kOhm).

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Nope, phono preamp inputs for MM must have 47 kOhm input impedance. The output impedance should be much lower (maximum 1 kOhm to feed a 10 kOhm line level input).
That is exactly what I meant. Your turntable is designed to go into something with 47kOhm impedance.

fraspadafora

Hi all, I bought a Focusrite scarlett 2i2 3rd generation, that I'm using as audio interface in my church live streaming.
I'm using for streaming vMix on Windows 10.
I receive the audio inot the Scarlett 2i2 through a XLR cable from my mixer (Behringer XR18).
The audio interface is connected to the pc with a powered USB hub 2.0.

Sometimes I'm facing a crackling during the live streaming that I was able to fix only restarting the pc. I add the link so you can hear the problem:

Tests I did:
- using the headphones connected directly to the scarlett 2i2 the crackling isn't present. So the problem is when the audio arrives to the PC
- disconnecting and connecting again the audio interface doesn't solve the problem. I tried also changing the USB port, but nothing.
- I solved the problem restarting the PC

Did someone has the same problems?
thank you.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
Double check the Focusrite ASIO panel and choose 192kHz instead of 44 or 48. Also, the streaming software should use same bitrate.

You may also try updating Focusrite drivers, just in case.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Double check the Focusrite ASIO panel and choose 192kHz instead of 44 or 48. Also, the streaming software should use same bitrate.

edit: fixed my dodgy attachment :)
It looks like this:
1609248278892.png

Last edited:

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
Sorry John, I can't see the attachment, but I do know how the Focusrite Control panel looks like, just that sometimes, when ASIO driers asks for 48 kHz and the recording software ask for let's say 44 kHz issues may happens. So, double checking the ASIO bitrate in Focusrite control panel might be helpful. I had such issues myself even on playback, but setting the bitrate to 192 kHz did helped. Not sure if vMix streaming issue is related to this or not.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Sorry John, I can't see the attachment, but I do know how the Focusrite Control panel looks like, just that sometimes, when ASIO driers asks for 48 kHz and the recording software ask for let's say 44 kHz issues may happens. So, double checking the ASIO bitrate in Focusrite control panel might be helpful. I had such issues myself even on playback, but setting the bitrate to 192 kHz did helped. Not sure if vMix streaming issue is related to this or not.

I tried to screengrab the ASIO panel and it wouldn't show the drop-down options in the grab. Sorry. I've had the same issues with one piece of software overriding another.

Ah, but I got it this way (printscreen the whole desktop and dropped it into powerpoint and clipped):

1609248131103.png

twobrat

I apologize if this is a stupid question but, I have a headphone amplifier with unbalanced inputs. Is it best to connect the interface from the headphone output or use the balanced outputs with a cable isolating the positive signals?

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
I apologize if this is a stupid question but, I have a headphone amplifier with unbalanced inputs. Is it best to connect the interface from the headphone output or use the balanced outputs with a cable isolating the positive signals?
I would use TRS plugs on Focusrite outputs, but with the negative isolated, not the positive. The headphones out might have a bit higher gain and noise than needed.

Tom11111

I am currently using this interface but I am getting Sennheiser HD 560s. Will this interface be fine for these headphones or would I get better sound if I bought an amp, something like the iFi zen dac? Also, when using headphones with this interface how should I have the volume set on the interface? If I turn it all the way up and control sounds in windows, I hear white noise, so I'm not sure how I should have the volume

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks, I found that interesting as many other reviews seemed to rate them quite decently. But I'm not an expert at all. Basically, I'm just trying to figure out if I need to invest in a better amp than the one the focusrite has and if so, which one can I get for £130.....
I'll leave the availability in Europe for Euro peeps to answer because the market availability for models is different then in North America.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
I don't hear any difference between the 2i2 and my more powerful and similarly transparent Schiit Hel with 300 ohm Sennheiser HD6xx. Since the ifi is not particularly well performing I doubt it would improve anything compared to your 2i2 and HD560s unless the controls etc. are different or something. I use the Hel for headphones because it is easier to reach the knobs on my desktop. I just use the 2i2 for mic input normally.during the week.

Top Bottom