• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amplification for 2 LS50 Meta's and a SVS SB-2000 Pro? (1 meter apart PC-only Desktop set-up)

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
S

Slyceth

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210122-005944662 (1).jpg
    Screenshot_20210122-005944662 (1).jpg
    574.6 KB · Views: 99

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry but I'm still not sure which one to get out of these;

Do I also need an optical cable or not?
RCA cables pick any Mogami and you are fine.

Between the computer and the DAC use a usb cable.

OP
S

Slyceth

RCA cables pick any Mogami and you are fine.

Between the computer and the DAC use a usb cable.
I just ordered from that website (50 euros), not only did I not realize they're all the way in Greece, you know how far Netherlands is from Greece, meaning I have to wait at least a week before getting the cables, it's also twice as expensive as the UK website... Are you sure there are no Netherlands/German audio cable websites? I think I should cancel this one.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I just ordered from that website (50 euros), not only did I not realize they're all the way in Greece, you know how far Netherlands is from Greece, meaning I have to wait at least a week before getting the cables, it's also twice as expensive as the UK website... Are you sure there are no Netherlands/German audio cable websites? I think I should cancel this one.
I did not know. But if you find better prices and proximity for this level of pro quality quad Mogami with Neutrik gold), then sure, cancel it.

OP
S

Slyceth

I did not know. But if you find better prices and proximity for this level of pro quality quad Mogami with Neutrik gold), then sure, cancel it.
Alright! Got the cables from that Greek shop anyway, I called them and was very satisfied, they're actually pretty professional.
So what should I do now? I got one RCA to RCA cable, one XLR cable and a USB cable. How do I hook everything up to the DAC and Amp? There seem to be 2 XLR inputs on the DAC, which one do I use?

EDIT: I got this:
1611590434990.png

Last edited:

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How do I hook everything up to the DAC and Amp? There seem to be 2 XLR inputs on the DAC, which one do I use?

Hmmmm, Computer to DAC = USB or optical - that's the IN part from the DAC point of view.
DAC to AMP(s) = 2 (if you want stero ;) ) XLRs at the OUTPUT of the DAC going to the INPUT of the AMP

OP
S

Slyceth

Hmmmm, Computer to DAC = USB or optical - that's the IN part from the DAC point of view.
DAC to AMP(s) = 2 (if you want stero ;) ) XLRs at the OUTPUT of the DAC going to the INPUT of the AMP
Wait I need TWO XLR cables? Are you absolutely sure? Nobody said anything about that in this thread yet

TimW

Major Contributor
Wait I need TWO XLR cables? Are you absolutely sure? Nobody said anything about that in this thread yet
Yes you need two XLR cables, one for left one for right.

Also are those 1 meter long RCA cables going to be long enough to reach from your DAC to your Subwoofer?

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

That's actually one of the few things in life I am 100% sure about ;)

1611591539313.png

OP
S

Slyceth

That's actually one of the few things in life I am 100% sure about ;)

View attachment 108351
I think I'm missing more cables! I got 2 XLR cables going between the Preampdac to the amplifier, and the rca cables from the preamdac to the subwoofer. But it seems I also need to connect the LS50 Meta speakers to the amplifier, what cables do I need for that?

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think I'm missing more cables! I got 2 XLR cables going between the Preampdac to the amplifier, and the rca cables from the preamdac to the subwoofer. But it seems I also need to connect the LS50 Meta speakers to the amplifier, what cables do I need for that?

Something like that

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B01C79XV5W/

With our without plugs. Just pay attention to the polarity: red goes to red, black to black, it's easy. (and you can reverse if you feel naughty, just keep the thing the same on both sides)

TimW

Major Contributor
Right, you need speaker cables also.

The connectors on your speakers and amplifier are what is called 5-way binding posts.
1611673252534.png

1611673478077.png

These connectors can accept multiple types of speaker cable termination as described in the article I linked to above.

I prefer bare wire or locking banana plugs and I usually buy my cable in bulk and cut them to length and terminate myself. You can also buy premade cables in certain lengths with nice connectors but don't spend too much and just look for oxygen free copper.

OP
S

Slyceth

Something like that

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B01C79XV5W/

With our without plugs. Just pay attention to the polarity: red goes to red, black to black, it's easy. (and you can reverse if you feel naughty, just keep the thing the same on both sides)
Yes you need two XLR cables, one for left one for right.

Also are those 1 meter long RCA cables going to be long enough to reach from your DAC to your Subwoofer?
I don't need such long cables, I picked these speakers and subwoofer specifically for a tiny room desktop set-up. I'm currently sitting 0.5 meters from my speakers and subwoofer, and the dac+amp are right next to me. I'm probably running on the lowest volume the dac allows me to. Are you saying that based on my speakers you expected me to be sitting in a living room? Does that mean I bought the wrong speakers?

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't need such long cables, I picked these speakers and subwoofer specifically for a tiny room desktop set-up. I'm currently sitting 0.5 meters from my speakers and subwoofer, and the dac+amp are right next to me. I'm probably running on the lowest volume the dac allows me to. Are you saying that based on my speakers you expected me to be sitting in a living room? Does that mean I bought the wrong speakers?

You just cut the length you need and strip a bit at the end.
You bought good speakers, no worries. They may be a bit overkill for near-field listening though.

TimW

Major Contributor
I think you bought great speakers for that kind of setup. Just so you know though, subwoofers will sound better in certain spots in the room and it takes some experimenting to find the best location. If there is only one place you can fit the subwoofer then no worries, having one is better than not having any, even if you can't place it in the ideal location. Personally I have never been able to find ideal locations for subs so I just use multiple and put them wherever there is space. If those RCA cables reach the sub in the only location it will fit then you are fine.

OP
S

Slyceth

I think you bought great speakers for that kind of setup. Just so you know though, subwoofers will sound better in certain spots in the room and it takes some experimenting to find the best location. If there is only one place you can fit the subwoofer then no worries, having one is better than not having any, even if you can't place it in the ideal location. Personally I have never been able to find ideal locations for subs so I just use multiple and put them wherever there is space. If those RCA cables reach the sub in the only location it will fit then you are fine.
Alright I finished setting everything up. What do you recommend for settings I use? How do I configure the SVS SB-2000 Pro to only go to 100 for example?

OP
S

Slyceth

You just cut the length you need and strip a bit at the end.
You bought good speakers, no worries. They may be a bit overkill for near-field listening though.
What do I change in the settings on the RME ADI-2 DAC DF and the SVS SB 2000 Pro subwoofer?

The biggest problem is I'm having trouble with voice clarity especially. Or are the out-of-the-box settings already optimal?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What do I change in the settings on the RME ADI-2 DAC DF and the SVS SB 2000 Pro subwoofer?

The biggest problem is I'm having trouble with voice clarity especially. Or are the out-of-the-box settings already optimal?
Use the back buttons on the sub to cut it low pass at 50Hz. Arrange the speakers so that you are sitting in the middle, with both pointing at your ears or slightly behind it, same distance from you, in roughly a equilateral triangle. If possible keep them at ear height and away from back and side walls.

Top Bottom