• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Seeking advice for simple campus PA/sound system

Zoomer

For a non-profit organisation I'm looking for a simple and cost-effective way to install several (ca. 5) indoor and outdoor speakers on the campus. They will be used for sounding a chime or gong a couple of days at fixed times.

Requirements
- automated timer
- able to play sound files
- sound quality is not an issue
- distances to be covered appx. 50 meters
- European supplier

I'm thinking along the line of small, affordable active wireless speakers. Such systems exist for B2B (schools, factories), but offer far more complexity and features than needed, with corresponding cost.

Currently we're looking at the following relatively simple Monacor options, but I wonder if it can't be done even simpler, cheaper and above all wireless.

Amp : PA-1240 (€470.000)
LS: ESP-215 (€116.00)

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Wombat

Master Contributor
Include a 'back-up' spare.

OP
Zoomer

Zoomer

Good one, tx.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Monacor is a good bet.

I'm not familiar with specific models, but something from Visaton may do the job for a bit less money.

For amplification, you could save some money by either using a very cheap multichannel car/boat amp, or a cheap multichannel chip amp from eBay or AliExpress etc. Given the intended use, though, I'd probably want to pay a premium for reliability/serviceability.

In terms of wireless options, I can't imagine you'll find anything that's wireless, weatherproof and cheap, but I'm not entirely sure.

You could also look into school bell systems like these, or packaged paging systems like this.

OP
Zoomer

Zoomer

Thanks.
The Atlas system looks interesting, but no presence in Europe as far as I can see...
Forgot to mention should be European supplier (added to the OP).

Reliability/serviceability is a factor indeed. No use hacking together something from AliExpress and the like.
So Monacor still tops the list.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks.
The Atlas system looks interesting, but no presence in Europe as far as I can see...
Forgot to mention should be European supplier (added to the OP).

Reliability/serviceability is a factor indeed. No use hacking together something from AliExpress and the like.
So Monacor still tops the list.

Ah, didn't realise you were in Europe (so am I) - should have seen you had used € in your OP.

Have you trawled through the Thomann listings? There are some very cheap active speakers on there that would do the job. Here are some results I just turned up with a quick search (not sure how weatherproof these would be though):
Or you could go for outdoor speakers with a separate amp, perhaps something like this?

In terms of amplification, 5-channels is not a common number, but a pair of cheaper 4-channel Behringer Europower amps would do the job and still cost a little less than the Monacor you're looking at.

OP
Zoomer

Zoomer

Hmm, interesting options, but not yet the eierlegende Wollmilchsau I'm looking for...

eierlegende wollmilchsau.jpg

Found outdoor active Bluetooth speakers ("patio speakers"), that might be suitable together with a good BT range extender...
Would need a reliable, automatic self-timed source...

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hmm, interesting options, but not yet the eierlegende Wollmilchsau I'm looking for...

:D

Found outdoor active Bluetooth speakers ("patio speakers"), that might be suitable together with a good BT range extender...
Would need a reliable, automatic self-timed source...

Isn't BT a bit of a gamble in terms of maintaining a reliable connection (have never had a BT device with a 100% issue-free connection).

OP
Zoomer

Zoomer

Isn't BT a bit of a gamble

It is, always avoided BT because of reliability and SQ issues.

Because we have to outfit at least 2 different buildings on a campus (distances appx 50 m) I was thinking wireless with a single source. But these active speakers are so cheap (no central mch amp needed) that we could just as well have a wired systems in each building, each with its own source, preferably with the sources in sync.

Top Bottom