• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Beginner from Germany - looking for advice

Idolum

Hey,

I registered today after lurking for while. Reading here heavily influenced my decision to return my Audio GD R2R-11 today, which I got in the first place because of all the positive comments across the internet. Also I fell for the description how it supposedly sounds :facepalm: I know some people still like it but i would rather get something which measures better. So thank you already for the content here.

I would appreciate advice on which dac, amp combo to get which is somewhat future proof. What i mean by that, is that i would (ideally) like to buy something which does not limit my choice in what headphones to get in the future. Also i do not really want to think about different dacs and amps for some time as it drove me crazy already the last couple of days.

My bugdet is around 600,00 Euro, maximum 800,00 Euro. Also I am looking for balanced amps / dacs, as i play the music only from my pc atm.

For amps i was looking at the Monoprice Monolith THX 887. It seems to be able to drive almost any headphone.

For dacs my own research narrowed it down to the SMSL SU-8 v2 and the Schiit Modius (mainly for budget reasons).

What do you guys think about the mentioned products? Any other recommendations?

Also if I am delusional with my budget / goal here please tell me ;)

ninetylol

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Sounds like a good combo, you might just as Well get the su-9 though and be done with it. SINAD of both Devices wouldnt hold each other back then.

Alternatives to amps could be:
Topping A30 pro (soon to be Releases)
Topping A50s (only rca input though)
Smsl sh-9 (if you want perfect volume Balance)

Or you might just save a bit more and get an RME ADI-2 DAC FS all in one with EQ Option for the future (german engineering ftw).

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
E30+L30 would be a good combo. Regarding headphones.. can’t comment.

Grotti

Forum Donor
I am also located in Germany (but will stay anonymous ;)) and I clearly recommend the RME ADI-2 fs. After a long search I purchased the PRO fs (need analog input for my phono pre) and it is clearly the best choice I made in regards of hifi for the last decade.

Sounds great, should drive nearly every headphone and comes with PEQ and loudness (long time missed). I mainly use it as a preamp at the moment.

I understand that your budget is lower, but I think it should be on your list...

VG

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Or you might just save a bit more and get an RME ADI-2 DAC FS all in one with EQ Option for the future (german engineering ftw).
This! Try to get a used one or check thomann.de for special offers (Versandrückläufer). This is then end game performance.

OP
I

Idolum

Thanks for the all suggestions. I will look into them over the weekend :)

I did not realise the RME ADI-2 DAC FS would go for around 950,00 Euro. Very tempting to save a little more and go for the all in one option here...

bigjacko

Nowaday good measuring device is not expensive, I would suggest getting something cheap if you really don't want to spend a lot. One feature that is not talked a lot here is channel balance, it is quite a good thing to have but rare. After I got DX3 pro which has perfect channel balance, I feel the channel balance got better but still can't know if my Elex has channel balance issue or not....... so some people might argue it is not significant.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I did not realise the RME ADI-2 DAC FS would go for around 950,00 Euro. Very tempting to save a little more and go for the all in one option here...
I'm quite sure you won't regret it.

Top Bottom