• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Active bookshelf speaker recommendations under £2000.

AlfieFroud

I’m wanting to get a pair of active bookshelf speakers for my desk. They will be paired with the RME ADI-2 FS DAC. I have a budget of under £2000. Due to the pandemic it won’t be possible for me go and try them so it’s going to be pretty much a blind buy. My favourite headphones are the Beyerdynamic Amiron home, not sure if that gives an idea of the sort of sound that I like. Any recommendations?

Iangmt

Alfie
You are probably higher up the food chain than I am.
Fwiw, I am using Ruark MR1.
Analogue in: RPi HifiBerry with flac on usb
Optical in: Revo Connect for DAB radio
Bluetooth: for BBC Sounds on iPad
Further ahead, considering KEF LSX & LS50, but getting bigger sizewise!
Ian

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Depends on the size available on your desk.
  • Usually a 5" 2- way like Genelec 8330 or Neumann KH120 are a very good choice and leave enough money for a sub if full range is desired.
  • You can go smaller with 4" 2-ways like Genelec 8320 and Neumann KH80DSP but then a sub is almost a must.
  • Bigger ones could be the 6.5" 2-way Genelec 8340 but I think the first configuration with a sub would be better.

OP
A

AlfieFroud

Alfie
You are probably higher up the food chain than I am.
Fwiw, I am using Ruark MR1.
Analogue in: RPi HifiBerry with flac on usb
Optical in: Revo Connect for DAB radio
Bluetooth: for BBC Sounds on iPad
Further ahead, considering KEF LSX & LS50, but getting bigger sizewise!
Ian
How are you liking the Revo Connect?

OP
A

AlfieFroud

Depends on the size available on your desk.
  • Usually a 5" 2- way like Genelec 8330 or Neumann KH120 are a very good choice and leave enough money for a sub if full range is desired.
  • You can go smaller with 4" 2-ways like Genelec 8320 and Neumann KH80DSP but then a sub is almost a must.
  • Bigger ones could be the 6.5" 2-way Genelec 8340 but I think the first configuration with a sub would be better.
I think the 8330 would be a better size for my desk. I’m wanting to use my existing DAC DAC as it has some EQ and DSP features that I like. Would it still work well knowing the 8030C will AD/DA internally anyway or would it have a degrade in audio quality because I’m already doing DA with DAC?

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the 8330 would be a better size for my desk. I’m wanting to use my existing DAC DAC as it has some EQ and DSP features that I like. Would it still work well knowing the 8030C will AD/DA internally anyway or would it have a degrade in audio quality because I’m already doing DA with DAC?
I don't think so, with good ADCs and DACs an AD/DA conversion is audibly transparent. If in doubt go for the KH120 which is full analog.

Old Listener

I have Dynaudio LYD48s for my main system and like them very much. You can find good info with freq. response graphs on the Dynaudio site.

It appears that a pair would come in under your budget limit at UK prices.

For my desktop audio system, I have Audioengine HD6 speakers. They are powered but not active. No audible hiss at 20 inches and good sound. A single volume knob on the left speaker controls volume on both speakers and a single power switch on he left speaker turns off power for both speakers. I use another pair for TV watching in another room. I use the Toslink input to get audio from the TV to the speakers. A remote control provides volume control and muting which are esse ntial in that application.

Whatever your choice of speakers, use a measurement mic and room measurement s/w to see how your system performs in your room. Then use DSP to smooth out low frequency response.

Last edited:
Top Bottom