• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is There Any Point In Listening To Speakers Online?

Cosmic_Error

I'm trying to decide on a new pair of speakers. I live somewhere where it is impractical for me to go to a store and listen to speakers, even without the covid issues. I've seen a few videos online comparing speakers but I can obviously only hear what my speakers can play. Is there any point in listening to these or will the speakers sound very different once I can hear them in person? If there is no point in listening to these what are better ways of deciding what speakers I would like?

mansr

Major Contributor
Listening to a recording, you'll be hearing the cumulative effect of your own and the recorded ones as well as the rooms they are in. This might work for comparing speakers with substantially more distortion than yours. If you're looking for something better to replace your current speakers, I don't see how it could possibly be of any use.

In your situation, I'd first try to find out what measurable aspect of the existing speakers you find lacking. Then it would be possible to, somewhat at least, judge potential upgrades by looking at their measurements of the same property.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I cannot imagine that there is anything meaningful to be gleaned from listening to a recording of someone else's loudspeakers and room (and mic and ADC and s/w, etc.) through one's own reproduction chain.

I mean, how could there be?

brimble

Forum Donor
In your situation, I'd avoid hearing speakers I was interested in online at all costs, because it would set up huge expectation biases. But maybe you're less gullible than I am.

OP
C

Cosmic_Error

Ok so don't listen to speakers online got it. So lets start with the supposition that I am a idiot and don't understand speaker specs, how do I figure out what speakers would sound best to me?

mansr

Major Contributor
Ok so don't listen to speakers online got it. So lets start with the supposition that I am a idiot and don't understand speaker specs, how do I figure out what speakers would sound best to me?
What don't you like about the ones you have? Is there something you have heard in person that you preferred?

Music1969

Major Contributor

Budget? Unless unlimited, budget is always important to know

OP
C

Cosmic_Error

What don't you like about the ones you have? Is there something you have heard in person that you preferred?

I live in bfe so I can't really go anywhere to listen to speakers but, at work I'm around a lot of large speakers (I work at music festivals and large concerts) and I really like how they sound very... idk big? Energetic? I'm not really sure how to describe it. I like my Adam Audio T5Vs because they have much better resolution than my last set of speakers, but they don't sound big, they are also anemic in the bass region and they just aren't loud enough.

budget is around $1500 with a hard max of $2000

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I live in bfe so I can't really go anywhere to listen to speakers but, at work I'm around a lot of large speakers (I work at music festivals and large concerts) and I really like how they sound very... idk big? Energetic? I'm not really sure how to describe it. I like my Adam Audio T5Vs because they have much better resolution than my last set of speakers, but they don't sound big, they are also anemic in the bass region and they just aren't loud enough.

If you like the overall sound, tonal balance, and spatial properties of your current speakers, the obvious solution would be to add a pair of subwoofers and measure/EQ to correct for room behaviour in the low frequencies IMHO.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor

Really good questions, these. :)

So -- what you need to do (based on four decades of my own experience) is get out there and listen.
I do believe (this is informed by nothing other than experience -- nigh-on five decades' worth, FWIW) that any loudspeaker that sounds good someplace to you should be capable of sounding good in your own environment (although it may take some 'tuning').

Alternatively, in 2021 AD (or CE, if you prefer), it is pretty straightforward to buy loudspeakers online with a straightforward return policy from numerous manufacturers and/or vendors. Not a zero-risk solution, but a (relatively) low-cost way to try in your own home/environment -- which is important (again in my opinion & experience).

HTH (as they say).

EDIT: I don't know where bfe is so perhaps the above-mentioned options aren't practical for you... but if you're familiar with commercial sound, you certainly ought to know what you like, and who can provide it, I would think!

I, too, like big sound and whipcrack dynamics (and, again, strictly FWIW).

DSC_0938 (3) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

OP
C

Cosmic_Error

If you like the overall sound, tonal balance, and spatial properties of your current speakers, the obvious solution would be to add a pair of subwoofers and measure/EQ to correct for room behaviour in the low frequencies IMHO.

I have other issues with my current speakers as well, the main one being that I am using them in a different room.

OP
C

Cosmic_Error

Really good questions, these. :)

So -- what you need to do (based on four decades of my own experience) is get out there and listen.
I do believe (this is informed by nothing other than experience -- nigh-on five decades' worth, FWIW) that any loudspeaker that sounds good someplace to you should be capable of sounding good in your own environment (although it may take some 'tuning').

Alternatively, in 2021 AD (or CE, if you prefer), it is pretty straightforward to buy loudspeakers online with a straightforward return policy from numerous manufacturers and/or vendors. Not a zero-risk solution, but a (relatively) low-cost way to try in your own home/environment -- which is important (again in my opinion & experience).

HTH (as they say).

EDIT: I dont' know where bfe is so perhaps the above-mentioned options aren't practical for you... but if you're familiar with commercial sound, you certainly ought to know what you like, and who can provide it, I would think!

I, too, like big sound and whipcrack dynamics (and, again, strictly FWIW).

DSC_0938 (3) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Bfe means butt F*** Egypt, that means I live in the middle of nowhere.

Also those speakers are awesome.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have other issues with my current speakers as well, the main one being that I am using them in a different room.

Ok, well according to the measurements, the T5V are a fairly neutral speaker with kind of medium (neither wide nor narrow) directivity, but with a slightly elevated treble and a slightly recessed bass and lower-midrange. Based on their measurements, your description of how they sound indeed seems quite apt.

Do you like their high-frequency reproduction? And do you like their spatial properties (in the room in which you intend to set the new speakers up)?

And what's your budget?

weasels

The only utility in listening online IMO is to compare gross differences in frequency response. There is a youtube channel (I forget which) that would do frequency sweeps on different speakers so you could tell where bass response just died off.

That is about the only thing I can think of being useful, unfortunately.

This is, I think, where websites like this should shine, though. Objective measurement should narrow the field of contenders for you considerably. You still may end up in a situation where something well measured doesn't work for you and you'll need to engage in a return cycle, but hopefully not too many times.

OP
C

Cosmic_Error

Ok, well according to the measurements, the T5V are a fairly neutral speaker with kind of medium (neither wide nor narrow) directivity, but with a slightly elevated treble and a slightly recessed bass and lower-midrange. Based on their measurements, your description of how they sound indeed seems quite apt.

Do you like their high-frequency reproduction? And do you like their spatial properties (in the room in which you intend to set the new speakers up)?

And what's your budget?

I like the high frequency mostly but its a bit harsh for extended listening at high volume which is something I like to do. Idk about the spatial response seems to be too small from the room and distance from the speakers in my listening room (that's about 9' away).
Budget is about $1500 with a hard max of $2000

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Some of us choose only by measurements and logic. Especially companies honest and proud enough to show exactly what their product is worth.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I like the high frequency mostly but its a bit harsh for extended listening at high volume which is something I like to do. Idk about the spatial response seems to be too small from the room and distance from the speakers in my listening room (that's about 9' away).
Budget is about $1500 with a hard max of $2000

Ok, well, based on everything you've said, it sounds like what you're looking for is neutral speaker with high SPL capability and good bass extension.

Should the speakers be active or passive, or does it not matter?

mansr

Major Contributor
I live in the middle of nowhere.
Here?
1611162054365.png

OP
C

Cosmic_Error

Ok, well, based on everything you've said, it sounds like what you're looking for is neutral speaker with high SPL capability and good bass extension.

Should the speakers be active or passive, or does it not matter?

I prefer the idea of passive speakers as it gives me more room for upgrading individual parts. Plus its more stuff, and I like stuff.

Top Bottom