• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

$9 Headphone Review: Sony MDR-ZX110

Francis Vaughan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
So I don't think Apple puts up any obstacles to it. It is evidently just that no one who knows how to make a good EQ app for a computer has not bothered to port it to the Mac.
I was specifically talking about iOS. Sorry, I wasn’t clear enough. For MacOS it is easy and all manner of plugins are available. The horse has long since bolted there. But for iOS things are very locked down.

sam

I think I bought like 5 of these in my lifetime. Just the right headphone for me when I was in my teens. There's also a 19.99 version, which I thought it was super expensive.

Reactions: PSO

Thalis

The Koss KPH30i sound a good bit better, in my opinion, and did not need EQ. They cost a little more at $30.

I have the same Koss but my sample needed major EQing to remove all that bloated mid bass. Then I found a FR curve and inverted it. This was the result:

Koss KPH30i Result.jpg

Its very "dynamic" and "open" now.... especially for movies and perhaps gaming. Sorry if going OT.

Reactions: PSO
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Should @Dan Clark be worried is AEON RT won't be getting any ear-time anymore ?
On sound, maybe. :) But on comfort, I have been wearing the Sony for many hours to see how that is. I am now starting to feel my glasses pushing against my ear. So I will likely go back to AEON RT.

Maiky76

Here are some thoughts about the EQ.

Notes about the EQ design:
  • The average L/R is used to calculate the score.
  • The resolution is 12 points per octave interpolated from the raw data (provided by @amirm)
  • A Genetic Algorithm is used to optimize the EQ.
  • The EQ Score is designed to MAXIMIZE the Score WHILE fitting the Harman target curve with a fixed complexity.
    This will avoid weird results if one only optimizes for the Score.
    It will probably flatten the Error regression doing so, the tonal balance should be more neutral.
  • The EQs are starting point and may require tuning (certainly at LF).
  • The range above 10kHz is usually not EQed unless smooth enough to do so.
  • I am using PEQ (PK) as from my experience the definition is more consistent across different DSP/platform implementations than shelves.
  • With some HP/amp combo the boosts and preamp gain need to be carefully considered to avoid issues

Decent L/R match, supraural devices are notoriously difficult to measure.
In particular the LF leakage might be over estimated so the boost at LF might need careful listening.

I have generated one EQ, the APO config files are attached.
Score no EQ: 69.9
Score Armirm: 60.5
Score with EQ: 94.1

Code:
Sony MDR-ZX110 APO EQ Score 96000Hz
January192021-142210

Preamp: -7.9 dB

Filter 1: ON PK Fc 40 Hz Gain 8 dB Q 0.38
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 157 Hz Gain -3.6 dB Q 1.34
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 1010 Hz Gain 4.7 dB Q 3.4
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 2467 Hz Gain 4.27 dB Q 2.49
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 8818 Hz Gain 5 dB Q 0.48
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 8580 Hz Gain -3 dB Q 6

Sony MDR-ZX110 Dashboard.png

Attachments

• Sony MDR-ZX110 APO EQ Score 96000Hz.txt
    341 bytes · Views: 304
Last edited:

Thalis

On sound, maybe. :) But on comfort, I have been wearing the Sony for many hours to see how that is. I am now starting to feel my glasses pushing against my ear. So I will likely go back to AEON RT.

Does your specs have the curved stalks that curves over your ears? I managed to find reading glasses with straight ones and they made a huge difference with over or on ear cans in terms of long term comfort.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I have generated one EQ, the APO config files are attached.
Score no EQ: 69.9
Score Armirm: 60.5
Score with EQ: 94.1
I am too lazy to do it :) but you all need to create a new thread/discussion and get people to try these alternatives and see if these scores correlate with listening preference. Unlike speakers, many people have these headphones, in this case they could easily buy one, and get us some good data on efficacy of different filter design.

buz

Forum Donor
what are the best eq options out there when using a streaming service on a mac?

...I'm thinking the headphone market can be revolutionised by a dac or dac-amp which offers a build in convenient eq solution.
even better with eq preset settings for different known headphones or a Database.
it really needs to be created.
Wavelet https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/app-9-0-wavelet-headphone-specific-equalization.4097957/

Works perfectly with my Bluetooth headphones, even automatically switches presets.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
I am too lazy to do it :) but you all need to create a new thread/discussion and get people to try these alternatives and see if these scores correlate with listening preference. Unlike speakers, many people have these headphones, in this case they could easily buy one, and get us some good data on efficacy of different filter design.
Agree.
Here's a quick comparison...
1.gif

solderdude

Grand Contributor

I hate that about on ears too. My solution is to put on the headphones first and then put on the glasses resting on the pinnae.

Aerith Gainsborough

No joke whatsoever. I am still listening to this headphone as I type this.....
So you say your EQ causes audibly distorted notes in the bass, yet you consider this reference quality?

I'm sorry but that does not compute for me.

nerone

Can I use these headphones with Android through the Usb Audio Player Pro application?
Thanks

tecnogadget

What a pleasing surprise to read Amir listening test for this set of headphones was made with such an important artist as Mercedes Sosa, who represents the very deep ancient culture and tradition from my beloved Argentina. I’m moved.

Piotr

lol it's getting funnier and funnier with this forum; I thought you guys are serious.... now it turns out you are SPONSOR serious. I believe the margin for this headphone is 5$. Imagine 20k people watching this forum and their colleagues now buy this (which is highly possible due to low price and networking).

And we have one post worth 100k. Well not really, headphone sounds poorly indeed, but if you apply MY equalization they transform into pure GOLD. So you don't buy the headphones, you buy the equalization :D

Last edited:

wwenze

Major Contributor
lol it's getting funnier and funnier with this forum; I thought you guys are serious.... now it turns out you are SPONSOR serious. I believe the margin for this headphone is 5$. Imagine 20k people watching this forum and their colleagues now buy this (which is highly possible due to low price and networking).

And we have one post worth 100k. Well not really, headphone sounds poorly indeed, but if you apply MY equalization they transform into pure GOLD. So you don't buy the headphones, you buy the equalization :D

Not sure how you would think this is a sponsored review...

But if studies show a $0.02 transistor can replace a $60 tube then it is good for the society isn't it

What about 100 people buying a $2000 speaker after Amir reviewed it?

Wombat

Master Contributor
Headphones. Why aren't they plug-and-play, no significant EQ required, yet considered OK with this shortcoming?

Thalis

Headphones. Why aren't they plug-and-play, no significant EQ required, yet considered OK with this shortcoming?

Same would apply to speakers wouldn't it? EQ, Room treatment/correction, placement etc etc

Wombat

Master Contributor
Not for most users re EQ.

It seems like buying a new car and needing to replace the tyres and shock absorbers.

Top Bottom