• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Yamaha WXA-50 Streaming Amp

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
He could utilize the high pass filter built into his SVS sub.
Not with this amp. You would need a tape loop or a separate amp for that.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Jds labs atom --> SVS sub --> yamaha wxa50 --> speakers

Use JDS to control the volume.
I don’t see the point of using an integrated amp as a power amp, why not use an audiophonics or similar hypex power amp in this case?

koopie

I don’t see the point of using an integrated amp as a power amp, why not use an audiophonics or similar hypex power amp in this case?

I could certainly do that, but where can I find a Hypex power amp that would be significantly cheaper than the WXA-50?

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
In this scenario, I would still need my Topping D50s DAC in front of my Atom, right?
I'm assuming it's the Atom AMP that you have? If so, then yes, you'd need a DAC in front of it.

Or skip the Atom altogether if you don't need the headphone amp and just control master volume with the D50s - not sure how convenient that would be since it doesn't seem to have a traditional volume knob, but it does have a remote control.

koopie

Ah yes I was able to get to that version of the setup by doing that thanks! Either way I guess it doesn't matter really. So far the amp seems to be pretty good, looks nicely engineered and well built. I feel like I have overpaid in some ways for what I am really using it for just as an amp, but it fits nicely on my desk, didn't get to hot and I was able to buy it somewhat locally. Haven't found a pure amp that is this size with a sub out locally. The only unfortunate thing is I ordered a floor model but it didn't come with the remote, stands or antennae. I don't really need the remote or antennae at this time but I think I would like to have them all the same incase I use more of the wireless capabilities. Haven't been impressed with the KEF LS50 speakers. Going to return them and try some ELAC DBR62.

Two questions:

1. What is your current setup with these?
2. Are you still in need of the remote, antennae, and other accessories?

VladimirJ

Ah yes I was able to get to that version of the setup by doing that thanks! Either way I guess it doesn't matter really. So far the amp seems to be pretty good, looks nicely engineered and well built. I feel like I have overpaid in some ways for what I am really using it for just as an amp, but it fits nicely on my desk, didn't get to hot and I was able to buy it somewhat locally. Haven't found a pure amp that is this size with a sub out locally. The only unfortunate thing is I ordered a floor model but it didn't come with the remote, stands or antennae. I don't really need the remote or antennae at this time but I think I would like to have them all the same incase I use more of the wireless capabilities. Haven't been impressed with the KEF LS50 speakers. Going to return them and try some ELAC DBR62.

Hi,
I was thinking of buying the LS50s to replace my Canton 502.2s with my WXA-50. I expect more bass and better imaging from the LS50s, and they're on sale now.
Can I ask you what is it that will make you return your LS50s? What is it that you're not satisfied with?
Thanks
Vlada

panther

Two questions:

Thanks I bought a new one so I have all the accessories now. I have them paired up with Martin Logan Motion 4i speakers with my TV. I have also used it at the computer with some ML 35 XTi speakers and it seemed ok with them for nearfield use.

panther

Hi,
I was thinking of buying the LS50s to replace my Canton 502.2s with my WXA-50. I expect more bass and better imaging from the LS50s, and they're on sale now.
Can I ask you what is it that will make you return your LS50s? What is it that you're not satisfied with?
Thanks
Vlada
I thought imaging was good but I felt they were really boomy and just harsh sounding to me. Perhaps it was the amplification. My wife also hated them although we don't remember why now. Maybe I should have given them more time but I knew I didn't like them.

Unclevanya

Two questions:

Two questions:

I bought a used model that didn’t come with remote or stand. I found a source for the remote and replaced it, but I’m still looking for an option for the stand. (Or an alternate way to make it sit vertically and add stability).

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I bought a used model that didn’t come with remote or stand. I found a source for the remote and replaced it, but I’m still looking for an option for the stand. (Or an alternate way to make it sit vertically and add stability).
The SINAD is only poor for the analog input. Digital input is fine.

Unclevanya

The SINAD is only poor for the analog input. Digital input is fine.
That was a mistake. I had previously started to work that and didn’t after I saw that detail. When I responded to this latest post it put it in. I edited my post but you’re too quick for me. Lol.

panther

One thing to look at is maybe a vertical laptop cooling stand.

panther

That was a mistake. I had previously started to work that and didn’t after I saw that detail. When I responded to this latest post it put it in. I edited my post but you’re too quick for me. Lol.
I actually tried the sonos amp and it was actually ok. I liked the bass management for a older sub I had before I got a new one with Anthem built in. My gripe was the sonos really messed up my network speeds, especially with the client running on my desktop. There was a big impact playing online games to the point they were unplayable. As soon as I uninstalled the sonos app from my desktop it was better. My brother in law ended up buying it as he needed it more then me. But as a small desktop amp I didn’t mind it.

sethr

I bought this amp for use with a pair of m16s. Seems to have enough power on tap but I have observed that it has a markedly different sound when I'm feeding it wirelessly via JRIVER DLNA (24 bit pcm output) vesus directly with my Apogee Duet 2's analog outputs (same settings in JRIVER). I'm very a much an audio novice, but maybe it has something to do with the additional DAC conversion done by the Duet? Also I prefer the "Ultra Low Jitter PLL" to be set at it's lowest setting - 1 - in all instances. It seems to lose a ton of clarity at levels 2 and 3.

SovonHalder

Okay, so either my ears got hyper sensitive somehow to nuances in audio frequency or my WXA-50 got damaged.
I have a question to the owners of this power amp. Does your amp produce static noise of any kind on passive speakers?

My Desk Setup: Mac Mini M1 + WXA-50 + 3020i Pair (with 3.5mm to RCA & Nakamichi banana plugs w/ 12 gauge spool)

This afternoon I quite literally heard the static noise, for the first time. I thought it was an outside noise and ignored it at first, but then when I went close to the speakers, turns out there was indeed a noise coming out of the twitter. It boggles my mind as to why this is the first time I'm listening to the static. I've been using this since August 2020 and at the time I was in a very quiet place too, compared to where I am right now. But never before; weird. So, here are things that I observed, and did to find out why it might be happening (while playing nothing).

1. It's barely audible from normal desktop sitting position but the noise is there; if you are in a quiet room and wxa50 has -10db or higher, you'll hear the noise. Specially if you switch to bluetooth from aux, you'll feel the speakers suddenly went quietER.

2. The noise increases as I turn up the volume on the wxa-50 and it's not the aux-rca cable either cause I unplugged the aux cable from mac mini. Interestingly, the noise is tripled when there is nothing connected in the RCA input. But bluetooth input the noise is significantly reduced, like 1/3rd. And for optical it's the quietest (like almost non existent) So it's not the fault of the speakers either I guess.

3. I turned off every electrical equipment including lights in my house to see if this issue is due to an electrical fault somewhere else. But the noise remains. For the past 5 months, I've noticed that sometimes when a fan or light in another room is turned off, there is a noticeable crack/pop in my speaker. Not exceptionally loud but loud enough to startle you when you are sitting alone in a quiet room.

The fact that the speakers are not dead silent even when my computer is turned off is bothering me. Again, the noise isn't too much to interfere with daily tasks but with aux input it's really annoying me, and I can't figure out why I haven't noticed this before. If I touch the 3.5mm end of the 3.5mm to rca cable (rca connected to the amp), there is a strong tingling/vibrations.
I'm using an outlet from the wall that is grounded and using a Honeywell surge protector that shows "Protected" in a green dot. Despite that, I discovered this noise today.

Even right now, I have the max volume on WXA-50, and nothing playing from the computer side - there is a significant hiss / static noise going on.

What is this? And how do I get rid of this?

EDIT:
I just came from a friend's house where I took both the amp and a 3020i speaker.

I tested the amp on a Edifier passive speaker - SAME THING. Hissing noise when AUX is selected on my amp despite the fact - there was no input at all on the amp. And tested S/PDIF as an input - no noise there. Tested different outlets in his house also - always same results. So I'm quite confident that it's not the speakers & the noise is being caused by the amp and the amp only.

Now the question remains - Is this level of noise omnipresent in all Yamaha amps of similar kind or should I look for a service centre?

Last edited:

SovonHalder

Mine is very quiet. What is the sensitivity of the speakers?
B87D1490-3CD8-4083-9DA0-A295F12224CF.png

88dB it says.

Are you using the RCA input to the amp?
For me, the noise is there but not noticeable from 1M distance. But I’m hearing serious distortions these days, like the voice and middle notes are cracked. This happens only on RCA input as well.

Top Bottom