• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Abyss Diana V2 Review (headphone)

LearningToSmile

So with the multiple measurements, is the bass response in the final one a "best case scenario", or was there more extension with different pad orientation? The steep drop-off below 50Hz is really striking. I can't find other measurements of the V2 specifically.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
So with the multiple measurements, is the bass response in the final one a "best case scenario", or was there more extension with different pad orientation? The steep drop-off below 50Hz is really striking. I can't find other measurements of the V2 specifically.

DMS_Diana_Phi_V2.jpg

Note: the vertical dB scales. The grey lines show different seatings positions and seem to indicate L and R measurement differences in the lows may well be a seating/seal issue. Seal also seems to be important for damping this headphone (also in the 5kHz range)

Last edited:

ErFero

Interesting review as always. Let's hope on a faulty piece, because seriously these results are embarrassing

solderdude

Grand Contributor
L and R measurements matching performance around 5kHz suggests this one is not a faulty driver.
Also... 114dB in the lows may not be loud but at 5kHz the experience is painful for sure.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
thats a lot of snakeoil for 3k. (i kid i kid) Abyss your diana is woof. ( i hope many of you get that reference ;))

Last edited:

Tks

Major Contributor
As expected, even in the headphone segment. All that money, and it's evident either no validation, or no care taken.

How you manage to get a $3,000 planar to distort so heavily and early in the bass region on top of the sensitive 3-6K region, is perplexing.

If the Meze competitor (the Empyrean) ever reaches your bench, and that thing fails as well.. I'm giving up hoping anything in this industry makes any sense anymore. Stick with tried and true HD6-- line of headphones and call it a day until some random company does right either by design, or by accident.

Tks

Major Contributor
I remember the abyss was always considered mediocre in most discussion, seems so far only Hifiman and Audeze really makes good planar disregard to the target curve choice

Only problem with HiFiMan is people complaining about QC. And only issue I had with Audeze is the retardation riddled form over function. The notorious weight and the headband strap that eventually stretches enough to where the metal portion starts diggin into your head (otherwise, with EQ, Audeze's were impecable in my view). Oh and circular earpads need to die in the same ditch Apple sent round IEM tips when they released the ovalular Airpods Pro tips.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
And only issue I had with Audeze is the retardation riddled form over function. The notorious weight and the headband strap that eventually stretches enough to where the metal portion starts diggin into your head

While I agree with you, this is now fixed. Audeze has been shipping a shorter leather strap that does not touch the headband anymore. And users with old models can order the new suspension headband, or if they already have the headband with long strap, they just need to order the short strap (or cut it out DIY) by contacting customer service.

Here was my XC before I sold it with the short strap. The best comfort I ever had with it, and it is a heavy headphone.

XC.jpg

Last edited:

YSC

Major Contributor
Only problem with HiFiMan is people complaining about QC. And only issue I had with Audeze is the retardation riddled form over function. The notorious weight and the headband strap that eventually stretches enough to where the metal portion starts diggin into your head (otherwise, with EQ, Audeze's were impecable in my view). Oh and circular earpads need to die in the same ditch Apple sent round IEM tips when they released the ovalular Airpods Pro tips.
Can’t agree more. With my beloved old he500 it actually have bad hinge o ring which won’t last longer than 8 months, now I just forget about that and let it wiggle when squeezed on the rings... and for their earphones back in the re600 era which were praised and cheap the cable just breaks with very careful usage, it seems they got worse once reputation in headfi built up and they become the mega dollar device sellers they start to sell out half baked or defective products at full retail price unless someone complain and send back

Reactions: Tks

vkvedam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I would like to see some of the studio headphones reviewed, Beyerdynamics, Yamaha etc

Zensō

Major Contributor
Another one bites the dust. It seems, just as with source electronics, the price of headphones is not correlated with sound quality. The recent hyper-inflation of “flagship” headphone prices is starting to look like just another scam perpetrated on audiophiles by the industry.

Thanks for the review!

Last edited:

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Tks

Major Contributor
While I agree with you, this is now fixed. Audeze has been shipping a shorter leather strap that does not touch the headband anymore. And users with old models can order the new suspension headband, or if they already have the headband with long strap, they just need to order the short strap (or cut it out DIY) by contacting customer service.

Here was my XC before I sold it with the short strap. The best comfort I ever had with it, and it is a heavy headphone.

There's only one problem. I've actually modified my headband strap by moving the screw alignment 1 deviation lower. Essentially achieving the same result.

The actual issue then became, is it threw off the center of gravity substantially. LCD headphones in general have people complaining about their weight. To me personally, the weight doesn't bother my neck like some unfortunate people. The weight problem is a problem in virtue of stability on the head. You're forced to not tilt your head much at all in any direction, otherwise you risk the position of the headphone cups moving in said direction.

When you use a shorter strap this effect amplifies considerably.

Their solution simply substitutes a problem that should have never EVER occured if anyone used the headphones for more than a month of user-testing, to a problem that now cannot be fixed at all. The only way to fix it, is if they replace the metal headband supports that lessen in height as much as the strap lowers. But the issue with that, you're most likely going to be back with the old issue because the new replacement headband isn't actually a new material that also won't stretch. It's simply a shorter headband that will also stretch, but not enough to have the metal dig into your head.

The fact that they offer a carbon fiber edition like yours makes things even worse. All there models should be provided with such an option, as any weight shaved is beneficial for normal people.

They need to go back to the drawing board completely. And like most headphone companies (or audiophile companies I should say in general) take a note from the pages of a company dealing in millions of units perhaps like Sennheiser, or heck even Apple now with their mesh headband. I don't like praising someone like Apple for a segment of industry they never touched in the past, yet have more sense than nearly half of these audiophile companies.

EVEN IF Audeze dared risk changing their iconic looking headphones to something that made more sense. They could at least start with basics like getting rid of leather idiocy (I know it's artificial leather, but that wasn't a point in the complaint). Reason simply being, no one wants sweat build-up with leather constantly touching your head, no matter how many holes you put in it.

Perhaps if I started with a setup of your kind I wouldn't be as sour as I sound now. But the idiotic design that was allowed by them to be sold to the public left an extremely strong distaste for them. Otherwise, sonically - ESPECIALLY with EQ, their headphones sound perfect to me.

EDIT: Btw, love the wood grain example on yours, straight fire.

Top Bottom