• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Streaming fantasy for Dutch 8c?

integrated

Appealing for what appears to be unobtainable: Good sq from streamer with digital aes out to feed Dutch 8c's (which have their own dacs). Also, must be Roon endpoint, mqa-capable, and wifi accessible. Sorry, don't mean for this to sound like a desperate personal ad! (Willing to hard-wire via ethernet to Lumin mini or similar, but that creates its own internet problems). SMSL DP5 seemed like the unicorn until it was savaged in these pages. Ditto for Gustard U16. Based on experience, the digital connection seems best, though unsure what the data shows about multiple a/d, d/a conversions.
Looking for best solution until the speakers announce their own Roon-readiness. Stumped at this juncture, though I am sure there is a smart, simple solution. Many thanks for help!

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Appealing for what appears to be unobtainable: Good sq from streamer with digital aes out to feed Dutch 8c's (which have their own dacs). Also, must be Roon endpoint, mqa-capable, and wifi accessible. Sorry, don't mean for this to sound like a desperate personal ad! (Willing to hard-wire via ethernet to Lumin mini or similar, but that creates its own internet problems). SMSL DP5 seemed like the unicorn until it was savaged in these pages. Ditto for Gustard U16. Based on experience, the digital connection seems best, though unsure what the data shows about multiple a/d, d/a conversions.
Looking for best solution until the speakers announce their own Roon-readiness. Stumped at this juncture, though I am sure there is a smart, simple solution. Many thanks for help!
Any streamer with a coax spdif output would work with a coax to xlr cable should work , otherwise the neutrik or Canare spdif to AES transformer will definitely work. The 8Cs support spdif
https://support.dutchdutch.com/8c-aes3-input/

https://www.markertek.com/product/b...8hmxcql3kzQConLacg19DrZe-fWPBomRoCqnUQAvD_BwE

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Vortexbox built me a server with AES output specifically with the D&D 8Cs in mind.
Keith

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There are AES output boards for RasberryPI to and a lot of suitable streaming software solutions ?

Is ROON possible with a RasPI ?

OP
I

integrated

Thanks for the suggestions! Some names I didn't recognize, like Vortexbox. I had reached out to Metrum, but didn't hear back. Unsure about Pi2. Always seemed a bit complicated, but maybe time to get over that. Also, wireless, wifi connection seems like a bridge too far... Have to say, still somewhat mystified that there aren't more options. Perhaps the widely available spdf adapter makes this easier. (I had used a Hosa 312 -- optical in, aes out -- with node 2i for a while, and the results were better than expected, though far from optimum). Still hunting!

Kundroc

Cocktail Audio offers a range of streamers with the feature set you are looking for, also offering additional digital inputs, e. g. X45 https://www.cocktailaudio.com/home/sub01_02.php
Other models differ in features with a more strict focus on streaming, e. g. N25, however digital out is by spdif only.

All models offer volume control of the digital out, which is rather convenient if you don't want to rely on the browser based volume control by D&D.

OP
I

integrated

Thanks! Curious, any experience with the Cambridge Audio cxn v2 or 851? On paper, at least, they seem to come close.

jhsg

Have a look at the Bel Canto stuff. The Bel Canto DAC 2.5 has HT input and looks like it’ll tick your boxes nicely.

Celloman

Bluesound Node 2i. Spdif out, MQA compatible, wifi, Roon Ready.

OP
I

integrated

Thanks! Yes, the BS works like a charm with a nice Mogami cable coupled to a 75 to 110 converter. (Some very faint crackling can be heard. Unsure of its origin). I've also used it with optical out and a Hosa converter. Of course, still wondering if direct AES connection might be better, but the other choices have not been so clear-cut (to say the least).

Celloman

Thanks! Yes, the BS works like a charm with a nice Mogami cable coupled to a 75 to 110 converter. (Some very faint crackling can be heard. Unsure of its origin). I've also used it with optical out and a Hosa converter. Of course, still wondering if direct AES connection might be better, but the other choices have not been so clear-cut (to say the least).

My pleasure.
So how do you like the D&D ? It really seems a fantastic speaker, but do you think the price is worth it ? 12500$US is a lot of money.

sajgre

I think that owner of D&D suggests Yamaha wxc50 as cheap solution. I have it and I'm about to order 8c :)

Top Bottom