• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Snake Oil Department, Top This

syn08

If I only knew what those 4 buttons are doing. A GF can be even more expensive and has by far more buttons that need careful tuning for total satisfaction.

MKreroo

I thought the capacitor sticker I saw a while ago was wild enough, oh boy was I naïve....

Booker

Forum Donor

cyruz

I dream a future where this stuff will be legally on par with phone scams.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Man, I feel so sorry for all of you because you just don't have the ability to hear the difference.

;)
But in all seriousness: It puts the lotion on and then it gives me more money!!! http://www.pwbelectronics.co.uk/product/cream/cream.html
"When applied to specific areas of audio and video equipment, this non toxic polarised cream has a profoundly beneficial effect on the perceived sound. "

That is a low dollar cream. Gwyneth Paltrow makes the good stuff.

ta240

Major Contributor
I'd say this is the final boss of snake oil products: https://mitcables.com/product/acc-268-articulation-control-console/

They had shut down about a year ago and were auctioning off all their left over product through an estate sale auction place. I was actually high bidder on about 30 lots when the owner pulled the auction. I'd ran some of the cables for past sale prices on ebay and just selling two of them would have paid for all my purchases; which is likely whey they shut down the sale. I was trying to figure out how to get all the stuff home and what I was going to buy with all the money I'd make selling it (yeah, I have no scruples)

Lorenzo74

https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/shunyata-research-sigma-nr-v2-power-cord

A $3500 power cord.
"This power cord brings an accuracy of timbre and harmony, a musical veracity, that I’ve simply not experienced before. Yes, it’s got all the audiophile virtues I’ve described in my previous experiences with Shunyata power cables. But those attributes really don’t speak to what the Sigma NR v2 is about. "

What drugs was he on? Can I have some?

Thank you @Ron Texas , I just got pain relief with this:
“A friend recently asked me, because of the silver in the VTX-Ag conductor, whether its signature was on the analytical side of the equation or the “warmer and richer” side that some legacy Shunyata power cords, e.g. the “CX Series,” were known for. It occurred to me that I had never considered this question because the Sigma NR is so neutral. And by this I do not mean what “neutral” has come to mean to some audiophiles, which is slightly on the lean, spare, or cool side, rather than the warmer, more romantic side. I mean truly neutral: The Sigma NR v2 imposes virtually no coloration or shading of its own on the music”
Fantastic!

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you @Ron Texas , I just got pain relief with this:
“A friend recently asked me, because of the silver in the VTX-Ag conductor, whether its signature was on the analytical side of the equation or the “warmer and richer” side that some legacy Shunyata power cords, e.g. the “CX Series,” were known for. It occurred to me that I had never considered this question because the Sigma NR is so neutral. And by this I do not mean what “neutral” has come to mean to some audiophiles, which is slightly on the lean, spare, or cool side, rather than the warmer, more romantic side. I mean truly neutral: The Sigma NR v2 imposes virtually no coloration or shading of its own on the music”
Fantastic!

There has to be 80' of 15 amp rated ordinary copper wire between the fuse box in my house and where I listen to music. How anyone could believe having the last 3' made out of unobtanium is beyond me. [I live in a long narrow house.] PS my speaker wires are home made and came from Home Depot.

Last edited:

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There has to be 80' of ordinary 15 amp rated ordinary copper wire between the fuse box in my house and where I listen to music. How anyone could believe having the last 3' made out of unobtanium is beyond me. [I live in a long narrow house.] PS my speaker wires are home made and came from Home Depot.
Very good point.

typericey

Or the guy reselling the Shakti Hallograph (presumably because he knows it doesn't work)?

My father has two pairs of these. He influenced me to get into audio at age 9. So yeah, misguided youth. Imagine the enlightenment I had when I discovered ASR 30 years later. Last I checked he also has: PS Audio regenerators, Nordost and MIT cables, cable risers, and an assortment of snake oil interconnects, power cables (possibly Shunyata), stones and wooden blocks. Plus almost exclusively tubes and vinyl.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
That is a low dollar cream. Gwyneth Paltrow makes the good stuff.

Play this once a month, or as directed:

1609898892461.png

My Audio Buddy was in this band, as the token White Guy, for a while, but he's not on this disc.

Here's what I suppose was a representative sample of their work.

Last edited:

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/shunyata-research-sigma-nr-v2-power-cord

A $3500 power cord.
"This power cord brings an accuracy of timbre and harmony, a musical veracity, that I’ve simply not experienced before. Yes, it’s got all the audiophile virtues I’ve described in my previous experiences with Shunyata power cables. But those attributes really don’t speak to what the Sigma NR v2 is about. "

What drugs was he on? Can I have some?

Some kinds of drugs are internally manufactured neurotransmitters and require the services of a psycho-pharmacologist to modulate.

Last edited:

gfinlays

As a Roon user, I frequent the Roon Community from time to time. I have locked horns repeatedly with individuals espousing the virtues of EtherREGEN (which Amir proved unequivocally to be snake-oil), audiophile switches, audiophile patch leads, fibre vs copper, even claims of Corning single mode fibre patch cables being better than non-Corning single mode fibre patch cables. Individuals who would bet their own mother that they can hear the difference that product X has made to their system, despite having it explained to them from a scientific/engineering perspective that there can be no difference. The high-end audio industry is insidious, incestuous and downright corrupt. It must be the only industry left in existence which is still unregulated and can make unsubstantiated claims that product X provides improvements Y and Z when clearly no such improvements can possibly exist.

Top Bottom