• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Klipsch K-402 another controlled directivity horn

Bjorn

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Btw, I will probably audition the Danley SH50 any day now. That's another highly regarded horn construction. I've asked Bjørn for an audition of his system, but he's a busy man. But hopefully I'll be able to hear it in the not too distant future.
Old thread that I just came over. Hopefully I can demo the horn speaker system in 2021. At least in Bergen but probably other cities and when the time is ready also bring to an international hifi show. The focus lately has been on finishing amplifiers and a CBT speaker.

I had a pair of Klipsch K-402 for several years. They were sold quickly when we developed our own horn. The difference was bigger then I expected. Smoother, more relaxed, more natural sound with more energy in the highest frequencies. The off-axis measurement was improved. A large horn system with constant directivity is amazing IMO.

1483132391_newhorns.thumb.jpg.1bfe64d21c1add77f09dc3ae7e75fa1b (Liten).jpg

Ro808

Are those the final versions Bjørn?
The slots/throat adapters are still quite short, I presume (<8 cm length)?

Last edited:

Bjorn

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Are those the final versions Bjørn?
The slots/throat adapters are still short, I presume (<8 cm length)?
Other than finish and aesthetics they are ready. I see no reason to change anything. They sound amazing. The slot/adapter is longer than that.

I do have another version you see below, but I don't plan to offer those anywere soon and they need a different midbass solution.
Proto biradial front 2 (Liten).jpg

Ro808

Bi-Radial horn-tech anno 2020 ;)
The coverage angles of the last one appear to be smaller, or am I wrong?

Bjorn

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Sort of but if we follow the true meaning of bi-radial, actually none of these are bi-radial horns. And so called JBL bi-radial horns were never really bi-radial either. It's a bit of a mess and wrong use of terminlogy. I do have a design for a true bi-radial horn by the way, but the size is likely to increase.

Coverage angels are the same for both those horns, 80x50°.

Ro808

With Bi-radial horns, I referred to the series of JBL horns that were produced under that trademark.

F9-07B.png

Those horns, as well as yours, were developed by the same legend, Don Keele.
Evidently, the profiles of these horns are not (bi-)radial in the mathematical sense.

Attachments

• Bi-Radial 80x60_1.png
    Bi-Radial 80x60_1.png
    18.3 KB · Views: 171
  • Bi-Radial 80x60_2.png
    Bi-Radial 80x60_2.png
    26.1 KB · Views: 169
  • Bi-Radial 80x60_3.png
    Bi-Radial 80x60_3.png
    9.1 KB · Views: 138

Bjorn

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Yes. JBL basically ended up using the bi-radial term of diffraction slot horns. Some were radial like the JBL 2360A and some were not. None of them had a bi-radial profile.

OP
H

hvbias

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Old thread that I just came over. Hopefully I can demo the horn speaker system in 2021. At least in Bergen but probably other cities and when the time is ready also bring to an international hifi show. The focus lately has been on finishing amplifiers and a CBT speaker.

I had a pair of Klipsch K-402 for several years. They were sold quickly when we developed our own horn. The difference was bigger then I expected. Smoother, more relaxed, more natural sound with more energy in the highest frequencies. The off-axis measurement was improved. A large horn system with constant directivity is amazing IMO.

View attachment 101793

How low do they control directivity to and what do you cross them over to below this horn?

Bjorn

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
How low do they control directivity to and what do you cross them over to below this horn?
They are constant horizontally to about 280 Hz, but doesn't change much before you get to around 150-100 Hz. Vertically they a constant to about 600-640 Hz and gradually gets wider.

To a midbass horn that matches and extends the directivity some, besides avoiding the floor bounce. While it certainly works well using a front firing woofer too, a midbass horn with the same directivity and lower distortion brings it to another level. A separate subwoofer solution is required with a crossover at 80 Hz or higher
80x50 HF horn and midbass horn (Liten).jpg

OP
H

hvbias

Addicted to Fun and Learning
They are constant horizontally to about 280 Hz, but doesn't change much before you get to around 150-100 Hz. Vertically they a constant to about 600-640 Hz and gradually gets wider.

To a midbass horn that matches and extends the directivity some, besides avoiding the floor bounce. While it certainly works well using a front firing woofer too, a midbass horn with the same directivity and lower distortion brings it to another level. A separate subwoofer solution is required with a crossover at 80 Hz or higher
View attachment 173336

Very nice, what is the length and height of the total midbass plus mid/treble? I was planning to do something very similar with K402 in a dedicated listening room I'm building but am all for a superior integrated solution. Hopefully this pandemic will be more settled up by the time you're ready to bring this to market, I have friends outside of Stavanger. (High school foreign exchange programs are wonderful!)

For aesthetics reasons I'd prefer if both horns were the same length, ie some small false panels added to flares of the mid/treble horn.

Bjorn

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Looks great, will you be posting directivity measurements?
Yes, of course. However, not sure how the vertical will be presented since the midbass horn is designed to use the floor. One way is to measure the midrange and midbass horn separately and splice the measurements. Or simply measure both over a reflective floor.

You can get an idea about the horizontal in the meausurements below of the midrange horn vs. Klipsch K-402 apart from the fact the beamwidth is incorrect and much narrower.
Indoor measurement with no gating.

Klipsch K-402:
Klipsch K402 indoor horizontal polar to 90 deg_no gating_15dB interval.png

Our horn:
80x50 horn horizontal indoor polar no gating_15 dB range.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom