• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amazon Basics cables

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@Billy Budapest mind explaining the difference between a wire like AWM and one "made for audio" in terms of contruction/materials?

I noticed a new HDMI cable I bought is labeled "AWM".

It does 1080P@120Hz over a length of 30 feet without any dropouts or connection issues though, so I don't mind if it really belongs hanging off a screen on a "smart" refrigerator or something instead. ;)

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am still waiting for my Amazon Basics USB cable to catch fire. I will report back when it happens. You all might be waiting a while.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
That's a great hack, much easier than playing country music backward to resurrect your dog.
Get your wife/girlfriend/partner back.
You truck gets fixed after that terrible accident.
etc.

:)

EB1000

Amazon don't make cables or power adapters. They use Chinese made OEM and brand it as Amazon basic. The quality of the audio cables from my experience is poor. I'm not talking about audio quality, but the durability of the cables. I've had many RCAs and HDMIs failing after a couple of years. I now make my own interconnects and speaker cables using bulk Canare or RG6 RF coaxial cable for analog and digital interconnects

Helicopter

Major Contributor
If you look up the UL spec, AWM cable is for the manufacture of appliances and machine tools. UL otherwise does not rate low voltage cable—including analog and digital audio cable. So, when a manufacturer is using AWM cable, they are using bulk industrial cable not specifically designed for audio. Like I said above, it’s not necessarily a sign that the cable will be bad, but it’s a sign the manufacturer is manufacturing its cable from stock with a different intended use. I’d rather purchase audio cables built from microphone cable stock. Not because they will sound different, but because they were specifically designed for audio applications, will measure better in terms of capacitance and reactance, and will be shielded in such a way to prevent interference with audio signal. All this instead of using whatever crap they had around in the warehouse, or whatever reason drove them to use AWM cable.
This makes sense. I prefer Belden Type E because they use it on marine helicopters, and I am sentimental about my days as a mechanic, but in lieu of that, I usually go with your philosophy. One exception is speaker wires, which I have decided to use extension cords for, because they are round, conduct well, are durable, and pliable.

As for Amazon Basics, I don't see the point. Just buy Monoprice premium if you want inexpensive Chinese audio cables.

If you want something good, get bespoke cables made from the best components, e.g. Periapt, WBC, BJC; Belden, Canare, Mogami, Amphenol, Neutrik, Switchcraft, which should be less than $80 each, or DIY. It is not rocket science.

MRC01

Major Contributor
Amazon don't make cables or power adapters. They use Chinese made OEM and brand it as Amazon basic. The quality of the audio cables from my experience is poor. I'm not talking about audio quality, but the durability of the cables. ...
I've experienced the same with a couple of Amazon Basics USB cables. Connectors disintegrated or physically fell apart. I now avoid them.

L5730

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You are soo right ...
This behaviour is way better :
View attachment 84475
That's all kinds of scary!

I have a 3m Exacon / Amazon Basics HDMI cable. Was not much more than a £1. Works perfectly fine and feels rather solid.
I got my folks to pick up an HDMI cable from Poundland. They really didn't like the idea until I explained that it wasn't going to be moved around and would either work or not, that's how digital cables work. Bargains.

Are we talking of USB cables being used to USB 2.0 spec (500mA / 5v) or for charging or other stuff?

Sukie

Forum Donor
I have a 3m Exacon / Amazon Basics HDMI cable. Was not much more than a £1. Works perfectly fine and feels rather solid.
I've never had a problem with Amazon Basic cables (USB, HDMI and Ethernet). There's always going to be some fails, but you can't asses reliability through anecdote.

MRC01

Major Contributor
I've never had a problem with Amazon Basic cables (USB, HDMI and Ethernet). There's always going to be some fails, but you can't asses reliability through anecdote.
That's true, but when the anecdotes repeat, a trend emerges. I bought a set of 3 and 2 of them failed within 3 months, each while serving light duty. That may be bad luck, but I'm not going to buy more of them to find out.

egellings

Major Contributor
When I charge a battery of any kind, I will do that only when I'm around. If I have to leave, the charger is disconnected. I've never had a fire, though.

escksu

He's talking nonsense. They use shielded cable as they should. It's just cheap. There's also no fire hazard using audio cables no matter what they're made from.

If you look up the UL spec, AWM cable is for the manufacture of appliances and machine tools. UL otherwise does not rate low voltage cable—including analog and digital audio cable. So, when a manufacturer is using AWM cable, they are using bulk industrial cable not specifically designed for audio. Like I said above, it’s not necessarily a sign that the cable will be bad, but it’s a sign the manufacturer is manufacturing its cable from stock with a different intended use. I’d rather purchase audio cables built from microphone cable stock. Not because they will sound different, but because they were specifically designed for audio applications, will measure better in terms of capacitance and reactance, and will be shielded in such a way to prevent interference with audio signal. All this instead of using whatever crap they had around in the warehouse, or whatever reason drove them to use AWM cable.

You need to understand what is AWM about. Its an extremely wide classification. AWM covers from type of wire (stranded, solid core) to AWG to shielding and even insulation and construction. Why an audio cable does not have AWM is because the manufacturer did not send their cable for testing and certification, nothing to do with it being specially made for audio.

Testing and certification is not really about audio, its about safety, esp. the insulation (for cables running long distance and inside walls). Although we know the cable won't explode into flames, something near the cable could catch fire. In this case, even if the insulation catches fire, it should auto-extinguish itself. Also, some insulation produces alot of smoke when its burning. This makes it unsuitable for certain environment. So, in some places, low smoke insulation is needed.

escksu

I am still waiting for my Amazon Basics USB cable to catch fire. I will report back when it happens. You all might be waiting a while.

Its not about USB cable itself bursting into flames. Its about something near it catches fire. Then the fire spread to the cable. Thats when the cable starts burning. If the USB cable conforms to safety sandards, the insulation needs to contain fire retardant and it should auto extinguish by itself.

Top Bottom