• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can DAC improve sound of Home Theatre?

M00ndancer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Well, you could always use the extra bass/double bass/LFE+Main settings....
Tech question, would that make the sound worse? I thought that is was crucial to separate the lowest end of the bass on the main speakers and just point the rest of the audio LFE + main bass to the Sub? Is just to "help" the speakers to remove the lowest frequencies and use the Sub for it?

As far as my limited knowledge, many main speakers will have a diminishing ability to play low tones. Removing that part will improve the performance, giving the mains a "easier" workload?

But if you don't wont the lack of range muddy/worsen the sound? For example from 180 to 40 Hz when the sub is at its best from 100 to 25? Wouldn't you get some interference problems?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Tech question, would that make the sound worse? I thought that is was crucial to separate the lowest end of the bass on the main speakers and just point the rest of the audio LFE + main bass to the Sub? Is just to "help" the speakers to remove the lowest frequencies and use the Sub for it?

As far as my limited knowledge, many main speakers will have a diminishing ability to play low tones. Removing that part will improve the performance, giving the mains a "easier" workload?

But if you don't wont the lack of range muddy/worsen the sound? For example from 180 to 40 Hz when the sub is at its best from 100 to 25? Wouldn't you get some interference problems?

Some people like it. I don't. I much prefer crossing the speaker/sub. Subs generally are going to perform better than most speakers in the lower frequencies, and freeing the speaker from that duty can help them out, too. Perhaps it can work somewhat if you only have one sub and you need the low end from the speakers to smooth/fill things out somewhat....

M00ndancer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Some people like it. I don't. I much prefer crossing the speaker/sub. Subs generally are going to perform better than most speakers in the lower frequencies, and freeing the speaker from that duty can help them out, too. Perhaps it can work somewhat if you only have one sub and you need the low end from the speakers to smooth/fill things out somewhat....
I recommend avoiding the LFE+Main or "double bass" setting.
Ok, thanks. Exactly as I thought. In the same boat here. Let the sub handle the FR that it's best at and let the Mains handle the rest of the FR.

Top Bottom