• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Show us your Cars

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
48E2F07D-2B6D-4C18-9199-6A697BB213B8.jpeg

Our new Honda Odyssey has about the same frequency response as my old Boston Acoustic speakers! :p

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
The bumper dramatically increases the approach angle, provides "armor" around delicate vitals (radiator, lights) from rocks, branches, etc. It is directly bolted to the frame and allows for solid recovery points that can hold the entire weight of the vehicle (6,000lbs unloaded) and hold the 9,000 lbs winch for recovering the vehicle or recovering other vehicles. Also protects the vehicle from animal strikes (deer) on dark dirt roads. Also minimizes damage in traffic accidents.
That's kool if you use it in that manner. Too many just put them on just to look bad-ass.

Now here's something that really sounded awesome, my partner and myself built this Rayson Craft SK boat in the late 60s, wish I had better pictures. The black & white pic was the first year we had it on the water with the single quad carb. The color was taken a year of so later when we put together the money for the dual quad manifold and the carbs. Only pic'd up a couple mph but a lot less mpg. LOL The 392 hemi engine came out of a 1957 Chrysler Imperial we bought off a used car lot for a couple hundred and rebuilt. It had thru the transom water cooled exhaust with no mufflers, the neighbors loved us, used to call the sheriff on us constantly. :p Man she was a monster to water ski with. We pulled up 6 slalom adults at the same time on one blast once. I've also ski'd slalom at 70+ mph behind it a lot! Don't fall, I have and it hurts. LOL
4.jpg

5.jpg

My partner Ed was an ace woodworker. He built this little hydro racer back when he was just a kid.. I think that was only a 10hp Mec outboard but that crazy thing didn't weight anything and would go like hell. Oh to be young again, Those were the days my friends. ;)
T1.jpg

digicidal

Major Contributor
Not to pedestrians...
Or almost anything else for that matter. Luckily I'm pretty sure my car could just slide underneath it and (with adequate escape velocity) come out the other side relatively unscathed. Until the roll cage is fitted however, I wouldn't want to find out for sure.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Or almost anything else for that matter. Luckily I'm pretty sure my car could just slide underneath it and (with adequate escape velocity) come out the other side relatively unscathed. Until the roll cage is fitted however, I wouldn't want to find out for sure.
I tagged a deer or a elk at ~3:00 am one morning as I was returning to Vancouver and crossing the Coquihalla Pass. I had the cruise control set pretty high and voila a furry light brown beast jumps over the concrete barrier and starts galloping up the road directly in front of me. I had just enough time to hit the brakes but not enough time to slow down until after I scooped it's ass right up and sent it flying over the car. A 97 Sunfire GT that I bought new about 4 months earlier. There was brown hair stuck in the paint of the hood nose and the paint was slightly marred but otherwise the front end of the car was in fantastic condition and the windshield had not a mark on it. So I pulled over into a lit rest stop area to assess the vehicle and like a minute later a guy pulls in with a Acura and he had a broken front drivers light assembly. He hit something too. Perhaps the same animal; I have no idea. So yes, a animal can be scooped over a car at speed if things go just right. :facepalm:
pontiac-sunfire-coupe-1997-100141.jpg

Last edited:

UCrazyKid

Does it also protect the deer from vehicle strikes?
When a 6,000 lbs vehicle and a deer collide, it is never going to end well for the deer. May as well limit the damage to the vehicle. It is a lot harder to get a deer to wear a helmet or drive a car. My friend is a police officer and hit a deer on a rural road in his cruiser while on duty. It nearly killed him when it came through the windshield even after it had hit the push bumper on his vehicle. He ended up with a broken hand from the steering wheel airbag. It's not like people are out there trying to hit a deer or other wild life. It just happens in rural areas.

UCrazyKid

I tagged a deer or a elk at ~3:00 am one morning as I was returning to Vancouver and crossing the Coquihalla Pass. I had the cruise control set pretty high and voila a furry light brown beast jumps over the concrete barrier and starts galloping up the road directly in front of me. I had just enough time to hit the brakes but not enough time to slow down until after I scooped it's ass right up and sent it flying over the car. A 97 Sunfire GT that I bought new about 4 months earlier. There was brown hair stuck in the paint of the hood nose and the paint was slightly marred but otherwise the front end of the car was in fantastic condition and the windshield had not a mark on it. So I pulled over into a lit rest stop area to assess the vehicle and like a minute later a guy pulls in with a Acura and he had a broken front drivers light assembly. He hit something too. Perhaps the same animal; I have no idea. So yes, a animal can be scooped over a car at speed if things go just right. :facepalm:
pontiac-sunfire-coupe-1997-100141.jpg
Wow, you got lucky. Glad to hear it ended well. I had a pickup truck hit a deer at 60mph right in front of me on the highway once. Completely demolished the truck. I was 17 and it scared the sh!t out of me. Samething, about 5am before sunrise on my way to crew/rowing practice in the Santa Cruze mountains.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My brother hit a deer and it wrote the car off and came into the car through the windscreen.
He is in rural Scotland but there are even a lot of wild deer here in Oxfordshire and I have had several near misses.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My brother hit a deer and it wrote the car off and came into the car through the windscreen.
He is in rural Scotland but there are even a lot of wild deer here in Oxfordshire and I have had several near misses.
When I was at university, one of my pals used to rallye a very well prepared Mk 1 Lotus Cortina. One night, on a special stage in Wales, he hit a cow that had strayed out of a field. He must have been doing about 80mph, and the car was totally wrecked. The cow didn't look too good either!

The good part of this story, for me if not for my friend, or the cow, was that I bought his close-ratio gearbox and twin 42DCOE carburettors for my Cortina.

S

TankTop

The bumper dramatically increases the approach angle, provides "armor" around delicate vitals (radiator, lights) from rocks, branches, etc. It is directly bolted to the frame and allows for solid recovery points that can hold the entire weight of the vehicle (6,000lbs unloaded) and hold the 9,000 lbs winch for recovering the vehicle or recovering other vehicles. Also protects the vehicle from animal strikes (deer) on dark dirt roads. Also minimizes damage in traffic accidents.
View attachment 97130
It also significantly changes the timing of your airbag deployment, in other words it is a severe detriment to your own Highway safety and could kill you.

UCrazyKid

It also significantly changes the timing of your airbag deployment, in other words it is a severe detriment to your own Highway safety and could kill you.
Your point is correct, accept this bumper is attached before the crush zones and keeps the airbag deployment sensors in tact. They have DOT clearance and were evaluated for just that scenario and engineered to address this potential fault.

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh boy what cars have I gone thru....hard to remember, especially as I just don't take many pics let alone keep them, but working backwards and hoping I can get it right....
07 GMC Savana 3500
05 Mercedes Benz ML350
98 Mercedes Benz ML320
90 Nissan 300ZX TT
89 Isuzu Trooper II
80 Porsche 924
79 Saab 900 Turbo
78 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight Regency
72 Peugeot 504
70 VW Beetle
60 Triumph TR-3
66 American Motors Classic 660 (never got to drive it, tho....drunk driver smashed up a bunch of cars, including this one on the night my parents gave me the car for when I got a license (which was still a year away).

I think I'm missing one or two.....

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It's amusing how the new electric cars still have the face of a ICE car. At what point will that face be left behind or even bettered... :D
Yeah it is funny. The C5 mostly got rid of it. Most of the air is let in under the lip. Those small vents do contribute a little. But could have been filled in and it still would look okay.
1607158500917.png

Another one that has a little venting, but most of the air is let in under the lip out of sight.
1607158611419.png

I think if you have hidden headlights, the car can look okay without a grille. Somehow we are accustom to seeing grilles between headlights. So one without the other looks wrong. I'm thinking if they move the headlights into the center it could look just fine and we aren't hankering for something between them if that were the case.

Another car with hidden headlights and small slits for air intake. Which if filled in would still have looked just fine.
1607159073251.png

I think center mounted light bars will fix this if someone will do it. Or laser based headlights that don't need a big opening.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Not even sure I would enjoy it in real life
The helll you say.

But if it should come to pass, let me know and I'll unburden you of it. ;)

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Another one that has a little venting, but most of the air is let in under the lip out of sight.
index.php
One of my all time favourites, the wing and the long front were homologation specials for racing the "normal" Roadrunner had a conventinal front grille and was about 30" shorter (and probably ran cooler :))

Top Bottom