• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X6700H AVR Review (Updated)

Urgo

Forum Donor
I wrote to Denon and I was told that they are not aware of any issues with the capacitors in earlier x6700 models. Very strange

Hahahaha, it's funny, although quite irritating.

You can show this statement from Denon, which was published in Amir first x6700h test.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...non-avr-x6700h-home-theater-avr-review.14902/

“Denon is pleased to work with ASR once again, who kindly shared his Denon AVR-X6700H measurement results with Denon engineering. The initial results ASR shared were surprising and prompted an investigation, which resulted in Denon engineering identifying measurement irregularities caused by a particular capacitor used in the initial production run to mitigate a supply issue caused by the COVID-19 pandemic. The latest production units have the Denon capacitor typically uses, which does not show the same measurement results. Even with the previous production units affected by the capacitor constraint, Denon sound masters approved the audio quality in the initial AVR-X6700H production run and we're confident it sounds just as good as the latest production units. However, if you purchased a Denon AVR-X6700H and have concerns, please reach out to Denon customer support after August 5, 2020 and we will verify if your unit is affected and offer a replacement if merited. "

ddlog

i wouldnt trust denon to give any "updated capacitor" for the regular buyer. they provided a golden sample for ASR, simple as that.
Unfortunately this might be the case. I am not sure I want to buy the X6700 anymore

Urgo

Forum Donor
I bought one of the first units just before the ASR test, returned it and after Denon's somewhat dark performance, it is my personal impression, I could no longer trust the x6700h, it was like playing roulette.

But now I know people who are satisfied with the model.

Last edited:
I bought one of the first units just before the ASR test, returned it and after Denon's somewhat dark performance, it is my personal impression, I could no longer trust the x6700h, it was like playing roulette.

But now I know people who are satisfied with the model.
you replaced it with which model?

Thanks.

Urgo

Forum Donor
you replaced it with which model?

Thanks.

I already mentioned a few pages above, I think in this thread.

After being very indecisive and disoriented, I have been with Denon for many years and the 6700 just did not work, I wanted 11 channels and I decided with great fear after Audioholics tests by its Marantz SR8015 counterpart, not tested here.

At the moment I am very satisfied, although with the problems of hdmi 2.1 that you know.
I don't know what solution they will give now.

ddlog

Hahahaha, it's funny, although quite irritating.

You can show this statement from Denon, which was published in Amir first x6700h test.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...non-avr-x6700h-home-theater-avr-review.14902/

“Denon is pleased to work with ASR once again, who kindly shared his Denon AVR-X6700H measurement results with Denon engineering. The initial results ASR shared were surprising and prompted an investigation, which resulted in Denon engineering identifying measurement irregularities caused by a particular capacitor used in the initial production run to mitigate a supply issue caused by the COVID-19 pandemic. The latest production units have the Denon capacitor typically uses, which does not show the same measurement results. Even with the previous production units affected by the capacitor constraint, Denon sound masters approved the audio quality in the initial AVR-X6700H production run and we're confident it sounds just as good as the latest production units. However, if you purchased a Denon AVR-X6700H and have concerns, please reach out to Denon customer support after August 5, 2020 and we will verify if your unit is affected and offer a replacement if merited. "
I forwarded the note from Denon USA to the local Denon customer care. The response was that this might affect only the US models and they said once more that they have heard nothing from Denon Japan on the capacitor issue.

Urgo

Forum Donor
I forwarded the note from Denon USA to the local Denon customer care. The response was that this might affect only the US models and they said once more that they have heard nothing from Denon Japan on the capacitor issue.

I would not trust anything, if you decide on the x6700h I advise you to confirm the serial number anyway.

The only thing I can tell you is that the x6700h didn't work for me, the protection relay jumped every time I plugged it in. It is true that it could be a problem with that particular unit, but it has never happened to me before.
At first they never said it was an exclusive US problem, nor does it make sense if they were all made in the same place. And in Europe, I remember other users who contacted Denon, and they did not deny the problem of the capacitors, although they did always say that they could work perfectly and that they did not affect the sound, although both the tests in ASR and the first Denon statement, did not say the same. They also did not deny the problem in the stores, and I also remember someone who after insisting a lot with Denon they changed it.

Now apparently, they simply deny it, more than suspicious.
The uncertainty that they created with all these issues without publicly disclosing the serial numbers, is precisely what created the doubts and fears about this model.

Likewise, I'm also telling you that after all this mess, some acquaintances from the forums have bought it and are happy with the 6700.

oupee

I already mentioned a few pages above, I think in this thread.

After being very indecisive and disoriented, I have been with Denon for many years and the 6700 just did not work, I wanted 11 channels and I decided with great fear after Audioholics tests by its Marantz SR8015 counterpart, not tested here.

At the moment I am very satisfied, although with the problems of hdmi 2.1 that you know.
I don't know what solution they will give now.
I also have the SR8015 after I returned the 4700 for sound in both stereo and home theater. I don't mean it badly, but a lot of people don't know there's something wrong.
HDMI 2.1 is a problem but in a review on the PS5 they wrote that it has no performance on the native 4K120.
i am using google translator

oupee

The worst thing about the home theater was that my seat vibrated and I didn't hear any bass.

tonydeluce

Forum Donor
I bought the AVR-x6700h and will be setting it up early next week (my new Rythmik F18 arrives today and my new Paradigm Premier speakers will arrive on Tuesday ). The room my HT will be in is not large and do not expect to run anything more than a 5.1.4 or 5.2.4 so could move to the AVR-x4700h.

Trying to understand the difference in power supplies - the AVR-x6700h seems to be rated a bit higher but has anyone examined how these two AVRs differ in terms of power supply?

alashikata

Technically, they are pretty much the same except 11.2 vs 9.2, wide channel vs no wide, and 140w vs 125w. I am still thinking to see which one I should order. Probably going for 6700 since all my surround speakers are 135w. If your surround is around 100w, then 4700 should be enough.

tonydeluce

Forum Donor
Thank you - that is all understood but the power supply will be the limiting the factor.. So my question still stands if anyone has examined the differences between the two...

I believe both AVRs would work just fine with your surrounds. My surrounds are the same as my L + R, i.e. Paradigm Premier 800fs and are spec'ed at 15W to 250W - again both AVRs should be fine with mine as well...

I am trying to understand how much beefier the power supply is in the AVR-x6700h...

Last edited:

Bindou

Hello,
I am telling you about a problem that I just brought up to Denon. I'm quite worried ...
(English is not my first language. Please excuse me)

"Denon 6700H amplifier - Problem

After calibrating the amplifier with the Audyssey application, I noticed a major "bug" in the management of speaker phasing. Indeed, to the ear, there is a glaring phase difference between the subwoofer and the rest of the speakers. At first I thought it was an external problem, so I spent several days / nights checking the entire installation with a magnifying glass, wiring, filters, speaker placement, etc. Then I went through each of the amp's options, redone several calibrations; I even tested different Denon amps to compare. And I was finally able to identify the origin of the problem, I am positive, the problem is indeed with the Denon x6700h.

1. State of the problem (The only change in the HC system is the amplifier 4500h -> 6700h)
The delay correction is adjusted with the variables "speaker distances", in meters. After calibration, the values can be viewed in the software, and quite logically correspond to the results I obtained with the 4500h.
Front speakers: 3.40 m (+ - 5 cm) / Sub: 7.20 m (+ - 5 cm)

HOWEVER, I have to manually maneuver the "software distance" of the subwoofer and add 1m of delay (7.20m -> 8.20m), in order to obtain the correct phasing! And there I finally get a "normal" sound. Phew!

I would like to point out that this observation is the same in all circumstances, Pure Direct or not, filters / options activated or not. If I had the time, I could possibly highlight this record through measures. However, the difference is obvious. To realize this, I used the 2 memories (Presets) which allow you to quickly switch between different configurations. I specify that I am accustomed to scientific rigor during an analysis; taking care to vary only one variable and limit the influencing factors.

1.1 Balance sheet
I spent several dozen hours to finally enjoy decent sound. I am in total incomprehension. How can such a bug take place? I have had several amps, and Audyssey calibration has always given good results. Here I managed to detect this anomaly, but I'm not even sure that other speakers are not affected. On the bass it's easy to detect, but less so on the other frequencies. Unfortunately, I no longer have time to do more research. So, do you plan to fix this quickly? It is fundamental.

2. Assumption - Limitation

2.1 Considering the fact that the value found / displayed automatically (7.20 m) corresponds well to the value that I get with other amps, I have the feeling that there is an offset with what is displayed and the value actually taken into account by the software. It is as if the software recorded the corresponding value at 6.20 m, while it displays 7.20 m.

2.2 This may be due to a set of factors not taken into account by engineers routing the algorithm. For example, in the setting of the distance of the speakers, I noticed a software limitation (6m maximum difference between the speakers). I manage to find satisfactory values while remaining within this range, nevertheless, it is true that 8.20 m represents the admissible ceiling by the software. I therefore wonder about the link that there may be with the initial bug. However, the Denon 4500h took my Sub to 7.20m, and everything was perfectly in phase, so I have reservations about that assumption. "

I am interested in your feedback.

Last edited:

Bindou

I seem to have read that a user noticed less bass on his Denon amp than on his Marantz; yet equipped with the XT32 too. I am convinced that his problem is the same as mine ...

Re: After a few short tries I see the same problem in stereo (no sub). I'm not sure which circuits the "Pure Direct" mode cuts (other than EQ), but the speakers seem more "phased" than in Standard Stereo. To remove the psychological effect of the EQ which lowers the bass level, I established a custom curve close to the raw response, and I confirm, the bass is "blurry / split". This is clearly, once again, a phasing issue. I still have the 4500h in mind, which sounded wonderful .... :(

Last edited:

oupee

I returned the 4700 mainly due to a problem with the bass. I also wondered if it wasn't a phasing problem. In addition, he reported to me that I had phased LF, LR and RR repro, which is not true.

Bindou

I returned the 4700 mainly due to a problem with the bass. I also wondered if it wasn't a phasing problem. In addition, he reported to me that I had phased LF, LR and RR repro, which is not true.
That's comfort me, I'm not crazy ! But such a disappointment. :(

I will still wait for a response from Denon, I hope they know the problem, and that it will be solved quickly with an update.

Bindou

For information, this phase problem results in a collapse of certain frequencies, ghosting on the bass, and erroneous spatialization.

In my case, it's so obvious, that when I increase the level of the SUB, the overall bass level goes down. When I switch the speakers to small at 120hz, obviously, the problem disappears, since there is only one source of bass.

I tried to reset the amp and redo the calibration without applying the updates (which elsewhere bug the GUI). But the observation is the same, I have to manually edit the delays to obtain a suitable phasing of the speakers. Obviously, my many manual retouching efforts do not allow me to obtain a phasing as precise as with an Audyssey, when it works well ... but it's better than when it's not working ...

Last edited:

oupee

Exactly. Before and after the Audysssey calibration, I had the feeling that my subwoofer had just broken. I didn't know what to do so I did equalization on the subwoofer. It allows me to equalize +/- 12db with variable frequency but without result. I just probably got him into limitation and he played extremely hot and without bass. I bought a month old SR8015 for 75% of the price and everything is OK. Before that I had SR6013 and also OK. It's the same manufacturer, but I can't say anything good about Denon all my life.
i am using google translator

Last edited:
Top Bottom