• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Iconic Arecibo Observatory telescope collapsed

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
NSF has science education funds that they could use for a rebuild

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, kind of sad to see, but at least it managed to last just beyond the SETI project.

Donated computer time to it for decades...

SETI@home is in hibernation.
We are no longer distributing tasks. The SETI@home message boards will continue to operate, and we'll continue working on the back-end data analysis. Maybe we'll even find ET!
Thanks to everyone for your support over the years. We encourage you to keep crunching for science.

TheWalkman

China has one they might let us use...
9CCB14F8-17F9-45B5-AD4F-10F87E68F868.png

https://www.google.com/maps/place/F...472359016238f4!8m2!3d25.6528077!4d106.8566259

May I use your new radio telescope please?
可以用你的新射电望远镜吗?
Wǒ kěyǐ yòng nǐ de xīn shèdiàn wàngyuǎnjìng ma?

And when you aren’t making astronomical observations, you can use this fix a stir-fry for 2/3 of Beijing!

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
NSF has science education funds that they could use for a rebuild
Perhaps, but in order to do that something else would have to be cancelled. There's an apparently well informed take on what it was unusually good at and what's more cost effective at other facilities. Taking a quote from towards the end:
So as always it comes down to choices. If congress were to say here is new money to rebuild Arecibo in addition to the other telescopes you want to build; scientists would jump up and down. There is really cool science Arecibo2 can do. But if congress were to repurpose other science money to rebuild Arecibo instead of the other telescopes we are currently designing and building, it would be a setback. On a science/$ basis a rebuilt Arecibo is not very competitive. This is really down to the cost of receivers and digitizers falling so much that arrays of equivalent cost have greater science range.
https://arstechnica.com/science/202...ibos-cables-snapped/?comments=1&post=39463457

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Completely missed this until today when I saw this video:

Very sad news :(

It was pictured in one of my favorite movies: Contact.

I tought of GoldenEye. Didn't think I'd ever see that part of the movie come true.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sad. I think it would be great if some tech billionaire would step up and make rebuilding it a pet project.

Martin
It's probably obsolete. It certainly has been an icon. "The Arrival" also had much of its action concentrated there as did an X-Files episode/movie, but something will more than replace it and hopefully prove the Fermi Paradox isn't an iron law of the universe.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's sad that something like this could have just rusted out.

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

In the VLA there’s a sign explaining about how lousy the VLA would actually be for SETI work. The sign mentions Contact and implies Sagan should have known better. ;-)

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
In the VLA there’s a sign explaining about how lousy the VLA would actually be for SETI work. The sign mentions Contact and implies Sagan should have known better.

I hold little hope for SETI.

Distance

Time

If we hear a signal from Andromeda, it will only take about 5 million years between lines to have a conversation.

Unless they can break the rules, then we're probably toast.

"Nice planet you have there"

"Yeah. Uh-oh..."

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I hold little hope for SETI.

Distance

Time

If we hear a signal from Andromeda, it will only take about 5 million years between lines to have a conversation.

Unless they can break the rules, then we're probably toast.

"Nice planet you have there"

"Yeah. Uh-oh..."
Dark Forrest Theory!

StefaanE

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
That's actually the world's biggest inverted cone subwoofer. They are going to do more research into the elusive brown note. Their goal is to give the entire world the s#$ts.
ROTFLMAO.

Top Bottom