• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Multi-CD Player with "Shuffle" ... Where are you?

CCinPA

Why it is it so difficult to find a multi-CD player that "shuffles"? Preferably small enough to complement a shelf-unit. Help?

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
https://beocentral.com/beosound9000
programming options were available to make the best use of having such a large number of titles available at any one time. Track and disc sequences could be programmed, or a random sequence could be started that could select any track from any disc

But not so small, I agree. Or take one from a car :p

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Why it is it so difficult to find a multi-CD player that "shuffles"?

Many years ago, most manufacturers removed the ability of multi CD players to shuffle (random) across multiple discs. This was done primarily in the Pioneer cartridge days due to the ridulous mechanism wear and damage caused by jumping from disc to disc for each track. Carousel players such as Yamaha, Sony etc brought the option back, but not all machines do it. They will have random (shuffle) across a single disc, then onto the next one.

The older Yamaha and Sony have a 'random 1' or 'random all' function.

Reactions: wje

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Many years ago, most manufacturers removed the ability of multi CD players to shuffle (random) across multiple discs. This was done primarily in the Pioneer cartridge days due to the ridulous mechanism wear and damage caused by jumping from disc to disc for each track. Carousel players such as Yamaha, Sony etc brought the option back, but not all machines do it. They will have random (shuffle) across a single disc, then onto the next one.

The older Yamaha and Sony have a 'random 1' or 'random all' function.
My old Onkyo carousel changer also has the random all function.

Perhaps the used market will be the best bet?

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
It has a random playback mode.
So does my music streamer. It can shuffle among any or all of the thousands of "discs" on file without needing any moving parts.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I did a quick read on this. Does it shuffle between discs and tracks on different disks?

The user manual doesn't make it clear.

@Wombat can you check it will do random tracks from disc to disc?

I can assure you all* the early (non USB equipped) Yamaha CDC-xxx models offered a random1/all function.

*except the cartridge based Yamahas- they have random on each disc, then progresses to the next disc randomly chosen for the abovementioned wear problems.

All these vintage Yamaha machines offer dual mode random, except the CDC-500
yamaha cdc.jpeg

Play-X-Change appeared in about 1991/2 with the CDC-615. The mid 90s CDC-635/735/835 also retained the full random.

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Perhaps the used market will be the best bet?

Absolutely. Steer clear of Sony carousels, the sled mech suspension compresses and causes a lot of problems. The Yamahas, Denons, Onkyos have all proved to be bulletproof and outlasted many single machines.

Wombat

Master Contributor
So does my music streamer. It can shuffle among any or all of the thousands of "discs" on file without needing any moving parts.

Not CDs.

Wombat

Master Contributor
The user manual doesn't make it clear.

@Wombat can you check it will do random tracks from disc to disc?

I can assure you all* the early (non USB equipped) Yamaha CDC-xxx models offered a random1/all function.

*except the cartridge based Yamahas- they have random on each disc, then progresses to the next disc randomly chosen for the abovementioned wear problems.

All these vintage Yamaha machines offer dual mode random, except the CDC-500
View attachment 96530

Play-X-Change appeared in about 1991/2 with the CDC-615. The mid 90s CDC-635/735/835 also retained the full random.

My player is not connected at present. I haven't used the random feature as I prefer playing whole CDs.

See Product Q&A(near bottom of page) answers dated July 10 and May 20, here: https://www.parts-express.com/yamah...direct-and-intelligent-digital-servo--312-204

"Use Random Play to mix selections from various discs or to hear old CDs in a new way" - from here: https://content.abt.com/documents/23412/CDC600_bro.pdf

I'd say yes to the OP.

Last edited:

gene_stl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
@restorer-john
Would you mind expressing your experience and opinions about which if any CD changers put scratches on to the CDs. I would imagine some are worse than others. And I would suppose that similar qualities may be seen in DVD and BluRay players. I am not a big fan of changer type units anyway, but somebody gave me a Pioneer that holds something like 20 or 25 disks and I am sort of afraid to use it.
And are any of them self indexing?

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Absolutely. Steer clear of Sony carousels, the sled mech suspension compresses and causes a lot of problems. The Yamahas, Denons, Onkyos have all proved to be bulletproof and outlasted many single machines.

Yes. I found Sony 5-disc carousel players would eat discs if they had another heavy component on top of them. Absent that, though, I found them quite reliable.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Would you mind expressing your experience and opinions about which if any CD changers put scratches on to the CDs.

Any of the cartridge based machines (Yamaha/Sony/Pioneer) eventually scratch the CDs.

Carousel 5-6 disc machines can also put concentric scratches when the suspension elastomers compress. The disc play surface can contact the mech when spinning. I like the Yamahas, pretty much all of them do no damage at all.

The Mega Sony machines which hold the discs vertically in a similar arrangement to a juke box work really well- unless you move the machine when full...

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
LOL due another thread, just had thought about my old Sony changer in the closet I haven't used in ages. It was kinda funky on random, tho, and kinda noisy. Sure is easier to simply rip the cd and use software to shuffle....

Top Bottom