• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dutch&Dutch 8C ATC active 50’s listening

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Your expectations would be wrong!
Keith

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I am really only interested in sound quality rather than max spls , D&D quote 105dB continuous from 35Hz , in terms of transparency, punch, drive and sheer enjoyment to listen to the 8Cs are head and shoulders better,
Keith

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I am really only interested in sound quality rather than max spls , D&D quote 105dB continuous from 35Hz , in terms of transparency, punch, drive and sheer enjoyment to listen to the 8Cs are head and shoulders better,
Keith

Okay, that sounds about right.

BTW, I wish ATC would get their heads out of their butts when it comes to eschewing DSP crossovers and class D amps. Their drivers are still world class, but their crossover and amps are dated.

I would love to see what they could do with some Hypex and modern DSP inside them.

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor

BTW, I wish ATC would get their heads out of their butts when it comes to eschewing DSP crossovers and class D amps. Their drivers are still world class, but their crossover and amps are dated.

I would love to see what they could do with some Hypex and modern DSP inside them.

Your wish that ATC would do «some Hypex and modern DSP inside them» may be lacking in realism. My point is that as speaker technology evolves, it’s become more of a system integration play. Being competent in just one part of the new value chain, but lacking in other parts of the chain of competence, means you are outdated. A dinosaur.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I don’t believe any established loudspeaker company will make a speaker like the Kii THREE or Dutch&Dutch 8C, one speaker supplanting their entire range.
It is much the same reason why ATC choose not to use DSP for their crossovers, fear of alienating their core demographic.
Keith

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Your wish that ATC would do «some Hypex and modern DSP inside them» may be lacking in realism. My point is that as speaker technology evolves, it’s become more of a system integration play. Being competent in just one part of the new value chain, but lacking in other parts of the chain of competence, means you are outdated. A dinosaur.

I tend to agree, which is why I think there are probably only 6-10 speaker makers playing at that level (in-house drivers, on-staff DSP experts, serious measurement R&D facilities, etc.).

I'd probably say Genelec, Focal, Dynaudio, Harman, B&W, TAD can pull it off at large scale. Kii, Dutch & Dutch, Barefoot at the small scale end.

That probably relegates 70-80% of the Stereophile 'Recommended Components' speaker makers to dinosaur status.

fas42

Major Contributor

That sounds scarily like acknowledging that the electronics matter ... tsk, tsk, tsk ...

I used to be amazed at how much brute power sound very ordinary drivers could deliver into the room - but those days are long gone - the driving electronics are always the weak link.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I used to be amazed at how much brute power sound very ordinary drivers could deliver into the room - but those days are long gone - the driving electronics are always the weak link.

So are you telling me that if I hook up an itsty bitsy LS 3/5A monitor, with low sensitivity and low max SPL, to a massively overpowered amp, the amp is the weak link in that chain?

Seriously?

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
So did the client hear them and if so, what was the outcome?
Ordered the 8Cs. It has been the same outcome with everyone who has heard them, (the 8Cs) they are exceptional loudspeakers.
Keith

Last edited:

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
Ordered the 8Cs. It has been the same outcome with everyone who has heard them, (the 8Cs) they are exceptional loudspeakers.
Keith

«...they are exceptional loudspeakers».

And last month it was Kii Three, right?

When did exceptional become the norm?

Somehow, however, you’re kind of right. Modern competent loudspeakers are exceptional compared to legacy speakers.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
The Kiis and the Dutch&Dutch share many qualities, they both feature a cardioid response although they create it using quite different methods, both relatively compact ,both full range , both are capable of adjusting their output, boundary filters, tone controls the 8Cs also have built in EQ should you need it.
The difference compared to traditional speakers is that you simply hear more , more direct less reflected sound leads to a clearer more delineated sound .
The improvement in SQ is so striking so immediately obvious that other manufacturers will have to follow.
Keith

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Keith
Ah, congratulations then. Do you know if they will be at any future audio shows in US so that I can hear them?

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

fas42

Major Contributor
So are you telling me that if I hook up an itsty bitsy LS 3/5A monitor, with low sensitivity and low max SPL, to a massively overpowered amp, the amp is the weak link in that chain?

Seriously?
Well, if you want to be difficult and nominate a speaker that was engineered very deliberately for listening to speaking voices - and SPLs was the last priority ... so be it.

I'm talking about the cheap and cheerful drivers found in standard kit - they're engineered well enough so that the idiots at the last weekend's party don't kill them instantly when they rev up things up for a rockin' good time ... I have some Sharp drivers in a cheap, almost cardboard carcase of boombox speakers - hefty magnet, nice rubber in the suspension, plenty of movement - they're rated at handling 250W, stamped by the manufacturer of the driver - and I believe them; driven by less than 1/10 of that they are completely comfortable, barely in first gear. I have no doubt that these could get my ears bleeding in 10 minutes, fed with the right material ...

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Really? I'd love to see pics of the motors and suspensions of the drivers the 8C uses.

The ATCs are brutes when it comes to power handling and max SPLs.

The midrange looks like a Seas. It is somewhat customized, as Seas' standard 8" midwoofer has a silver colored cone. From 6moons:
8.jpg

I do not know what the woofers are, but outwardly they look similar to these Dayton 8" subwoofers: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/dutchdutch/8.jpg

If they are different woofers, I would expect broadly similar specifications.

If my driver speculation is correct, I would not expect any dynamic deficiencies compared to that ATC. The 8C has more cone area and volume displacement everywhere except maybe at the top of the ATC dome's passband. The 8C is smaller and probably less efficient everywhere except at the bottom of the tweeter's passband, but it has more power to compensate.

Top Bottom