• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amir's TODO thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric Auer

The SMSL M8A could give the Topping D30 a run for its money.

It was recently on massdrop for under $180.

Eric

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Amir, where is the Gustard U12 in your queue? I've been using one every day for the last 20 months or so (I like its stable drivers, and it's a very cheap way to go from USB to AES), so I'm eager to find out if it's contributing horrific levels of jitter or other noise.
I am debating what to test next. As a reward for people who contribute to this thread, I will measure the Gustard U12 next. :)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Eric
It certainly has nifty specs. It is not active on Massdrop though and Amazon price is $250 so double the price. Let me know if it shows up for less and I will consider purchasing it.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

tim_j_thomas

My vote for a Raspberry Pi review! Seems like with an external USB HD, they would be an "ideal" music server.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
My vote for a Raspberry Pi review! Seems like with an external USB HD, they would be an "ideal" music server.
I will bump up the priority on that. My bucket is runneth over though as far as projects. :)

tim_j_thomas

Thanks!! I was thinking that a Pi would be simpler to set up and much cheaper than a PC. I'd love to find a turnkey system available.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thanks!! I was thinking that a Pi would be simpler to set up and much cheaper than a PC. I'd love to find a turnkey system available.
My experience has been poor with bare Pi but I do have a loaned turnkey version I plan to test.

tim_j_thomas

Thanks so much. If it doesn't measure well, I wonder if there is a turnkey system (of any type) that is recommendable.

c1ferrari

Forum Donor
Amir,

What happened to your Berkeley? Which model?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Amir,

What happened to your Berkeley? Which model?
If you mean the DAC, I had borrowed it from work and got sold. :) I still have the Alpha USB bridge but sadly it doesn't work right. After just a few seconds sound becomes distorted. I need to send it to Michael to get it repaired. The other issue was that it was incompatible with Dirac Live on the PC. It would play at a slower cadence than the music. Very strange clocking issue of sorts. I could not get either Dirac or Berkeley to troubleshoot it so it was not getting used anyway. Hence my laziness to get it repaired.

AliveNoMore

Hello, I hope this is a fitting thread to suggest DAC/amps for review. I couldn't find a dedicated suggestions thread.

FiiO K1 - ultra basic DAC/amp.
SMSL M3 - I cannot seem to find any reliable information as to the output impedance of the thing, although I'm guessing it's probably around 10 Ohm.
SMSL X4 - as it seems it's a simpler version of the SMSL iDEA, and similar to the K1.
The already mentioned Dilvpoetry DAC-X6 in the FX-Audio's DAC-X6 thread. Based on what I've read on NwAvGuy's website about various components, the Dilvpoetry is probably superior, however that TPA6120 bothers me, as if I recall correctly it is a component that basically requires the output impedance of the device be ~10 Ohm.

Anyway, I see you have a lot on your plate so these probably would not get measured. Just my 2 cents worth of suggestions. :)

iridium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hello, I hope this is a fitting thread to suggest DAC/amps for review. I couldn't find a dedicated suggestions thread.

SMSL M3 - I cannot seem to find any reliable information as to the output impedance of the thing, although I'm guessing it's probably around 10 Ohm.
SMSL X4 - as it seems it's a simpler version of the SMSL iDEA, and similar to the K1.
The already mentioned Dilvpoetry DAC-X6 in the FX-Audio's DAC-X6 thread. Based on what I've read on NwAvGuy's website about various components, the Dilvpoetry is probably superior, however that TPA6120 bothers me, as if I recall correctly it is a component that basically requires the output impedance of the device be ~10 Ohm.

Anyway, I see you have a lot on your plate so these probably would not get measured. Just my 2 cents worth of suggestions. :)

Any updates on NwAvGuy - ?current existence?
I do not see anything posted since 2012, but I am blind sometimes to the obvious!

iridium.

AliveNoMore

No idea regarding what's happening to him. I was simply referring to various comments he's made in the past in some of his blog posts. I wasn't referring to anything recent.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Hi there. Welcome to the forum and thanks for the suggestions. Since the K1 and X4 were pretty cheap, I ordered those just now. The M3 is more pricey so I didn't order that just yet. How popular is that DAC in general?

AliveNoMore

Hi there. Welcome to the forum and thanks for the suggestions. Since the K1 and X4 were pretty cheap, I ordered those just now. The M3 is more pricey so I didn't order that just yet. How popular is that DAC in general?
Thank you!

And wow! This caught me off-guard. I wasn't expecting that you would agree to test them this easily, especially this quickly. I'm at the same time excited, grateful, impressed, and humbled. My brain is confused. I think it's beer time.

Anyhoo, based on my observation, the M3 is not particularly popular. SMSL as a brand and manufacturer seems to not be boutique enough for a lot of audiophiles/enthusiasts but it doesn't have the same good reputation in the more budget-oriented segment like FiiO does. SMSL also has a larger variety of products so the M3 kind of gets buried.
I myself have an M3, and like it. It feels well built and less generic than many other Chinese DAC/amps which seem to use basically the same aluminum shell so they look very similar or identical.
I suggested because I think it's overall a decent all-round unit. However it doesn't seem to have been properly measured, and I'm curious, especially when it comes to output impedance so I'd know if it would be a good match for my lower impedance headphones.

Of course, me suggesting something does not in any way obligate you to do anything about it.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Eric
This just went on Massdrop. So I guess it pays to tell them you want it :). I committed at $179 and it needs a few more purchasers to hit that. Otherwise it is $200. It is on Amazon at $250 with prime shipping. So much cheaper but won't ship for a month! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom