• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Irritating Dog Habit

thelexa

I would like to know if it is safe to use an e-collar to correct some unwanted behavior of my Akita. I came across these shock collars and I'm wondering what are the pros and cons of using this type of product in training my dog. Do any of you have any experience with anything like a shock collar? I know this would probably be better suited for a pet forum but thought I'd ask for opinions here anyway.

OP
thelexa

thelexa

I don't but every time I investigate them, there are many, many people objecting to their use.

Thank you, your help is highly appreciated. I am really torn between buying or looking for another great alternative to correct the behavior of my dog.

The Smokester

I have friends who are serious show doggers. But, they use adjustable and the minimum voltage required to get the dog's attention. In moderation...usually when they are running away out of control, and only on dogs that need it. One collar has a vibration option instead of e-shock.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Haven't known of them used by anyone except in conjunction with those wireless fences. Dog has a collar and gets a bit of a shock if they start to get close to a buried wire marking the limits of where they are permitted to go. Those seem to work very well, and the dog quickly learns how close is too close to the buried wire. They learn quicker if you initially mark the wire with a row of little flags.

I did know of one dog that somehow figured out if he got past it the shock went away. He normally would stay inside his invisible fence. Periodically however, he would run toward it and throw himself across the buried wire. He knew where it was and would throw himself down and roll thru it. He would get up and shake himself good on the other side, and then go about his business whatever it was.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Best way to train a dog is through positive reinforcement.
Amen to that in most cases. It is more effective, selective and you can train more complex behaviour.

An oldie, but a goodie, if you have never read it is:

https://www.amazon.com/Dont-Shoot-Dog-Teaching-Training/dp/1860542387/ref=dp_ob_title_bk

Don't shoot the Dog.

Which contrary to the title isn't all that much about dog training instead being about positive reinforcement training. After you read it, get an up to date book specifically about training dogs. It is a far more preferable experience for you and the dog.

One bit of training judo for bad behaviours. Reinforce it, train it, get your dog to reliably do the bad behaviour immediately upon command. Vary the reinforcement schedule so it becomes a very strongly trained behaviour. Then simply never give the command for that behaviour.

Of course if the behaviour is biting the postman this one might not be best approached this way.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Tried one on my ex-wife, still couldn't get her trained properly. :eek:

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wear it yourself for a week.

I've been tazed as a teen when we thought it would be fun to taze each other. It had it's funny moments and every body on the ground laughing.

I would consult a dog trainer first. Behaviors are usually correctable but an Akita as a breed has their idiosyncrasies.

Eric Auer

You should never have to use a collar to train a dog.

I had several Border Collies over the years and none were trained with a collar.

No surprise to hear that a show dog would need one, as they are bred purely for looks. A shame really. Dogs should be bred with intelligence and temperament as top priorities.

Beauty comes from within.

Eric

Wombat

Master Contributor
I recently saw a TV vet showing an owner how to stop her dog from chasing her sheep. A collar using a spray of citronella worked a treat. The remote control had a warning 'beep' button, a 'puff' button and a damn good squirt button. Dogs cannot stand citronella. No harm done to the dog and happy sheep.

MarkTrse

no way, why would you even consider a shock collar, put yourself in your dog's position....crazy situation. Just do some online dog training courses with your dog and i assure you, you'll have way better and friendlier results

Top Bottom