• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Let's talk about food!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I've become fond of little Asian (?) bananas...
I do too and the red ones also. They have a major advantage in that they have a long life and do not become overripe like the standard ones do.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area

iridium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Got this in the Costco sales email:

View attachment 9785

Yum. Yes, a "bit" pricey. :)

The following is true; I stake my sound system on it: My wife has me buy Wagyu like you posted, and make beef jerky out of it [I spoil her slightly].

iridium.

Wombat

Master Contributor
I once went on the Pritikin diet - wife's idea. Felt great with lots of energy but looked unwell, go figure. However, tastebuds were able to satisfyingly sense natural food flavours because they weren't de-sensitised(assaulted) by overwhelming processed food flavourings and additives - especially salt. If fresh food tastes bland put it down to additive craving or poor produce. That beef would be wasted on most Western palates IMHO.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Got this in the Costco sales email:
I'm sure it must be tender with all that marbling, but damn, talk about a high fat count. Makes my cholesterol level climb just to look at it.
I'll stick to some good ole USA Midwest Black Angus corn feed beef. A big Porterhouse or 24oz slice of Prime Rib will be just fine, thank you.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I'm sure it must be tender with all that marbling, but damn, talk about a high fat count. Makes my cholesterol level climb just to look at it.
I'll stick to some good ole USA Midwest Black Angus corn feed beef. A big Porterhouse or 24oz slice of Prime Rib will be just fine, thank you.

I like Angus, but have come to prefer grass fed to corn fed

My local butcher does 3 weeks wet aging + 3 weeks dry aging, which leads to a killer ribeye and t-bone.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
In a rare fluke of nature, the type of fat it has is the "good fat!" https://www.imperialwagyubeef.com/wagyu-beef/health-benefits/

"WAGYU BEEF IS HEALTHIER, NATURALLY
Research shows that the beef from long-fed Wagyu cattle naturally contains more Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, as well as more monounsaturated fatty acids (the good fat) than other beef. The percentage of fatty acids affect the texture and “feel” of food in the mouth, particularly in meats. This is one of the genetic benefits of the Wagyu breed and one of the reasons why Wagyu beef is regarded as the finest, most exclusive beef produced in the world.

food-300x225.jpg
According to research, the protein in Wagyu beef can help maintain muscle while burning fat as it increases oxygen intake, energy production, and metabolic rate. It also helps maintain cell membranes and increases the body’s production of good prostaglandins – an unsaturated fatty acid that controls smooth muscle contraction, blood pressure, inflammation, and ideal body temperature. Additionally, the increased Omegas 3 and 6 help transport and metabolize triglycerides and cholesterol. Studies have shown that a higher monounsaturated fatty acid in the diet is associated with lower cardio vascular disease."

The fat also melts below body temperature so it is incredible when you eat it.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
In a rare fluke of nature, the type of fat it has is the "good fat!" https://www.imperialwagyubeef.com/wagyu-beef/health-benefits/

"WAGYU BEEF IS HEALTHIER, NATURALLY
Research shows that the beef from long-fed Wagyu cattle naturally contains more Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, as well as more monounsaturated fatty acids (the good fat) than other beef. The percentage of fatty acids affect the texture and “feel” of food in the mouth, particularly in meats. This is one of the genetic benefits of the Wagyu breed and one of the reasons why Wagyu beef is regarded as the finest, most exclusive beef produced in the world.

food-300x225.jpg
According to research, the protein in Wagyu beef can help maintain muscle while burning fat as it increases oxygen intake, energy production, and metabolic rate. It also helps maintain cell membranes and increases the body’s production of good prostaglandins – an unsaturated fatty acid that controls smooth muscle contraction, blood pressure, inflammation, and ideal body temperature. Additionally, the increased Omegas 3 and 6 help transport and metabolize triglycerides and cholesterol. Studies have shown that a higher monounsaturated fatty acid in the diet is associated with lower cardio vascular disease."

The fat also melts below body temperature so it is incredible when you eat it.

Sorry, but that article is mixing up cause and effect.

The ratio of omega 3 and 6 to other kinds of fat is based upon what they cow eats, not the breed of cattle. Grass-fed cattle have higher omega 3 and 6 compared to grain fed catttle, regardless of breed. This is also true of dairy cattle and dairy products that come from them.

It's also true of chickens, goats, sheep, etc.

What the wagyu breed brings, genetically, is the high amount of fat that is intramuscular, as opposed to subcutaneous. Therefore the fat doesn't get trimmed off.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Japanese food is the one style of cuisine that all of my family like for some bizarre reason. I have a son who'd happily live on a diet of burgers and fries, a daughter who takes after her (Indonesian Chinese) mother and wants rice with every meal, a wife who likes fish and me who hates fish and with a preference for Greek/Lebanese food. Japanese food is just about the one option we all love.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Last edited:
Top Bottom