• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL 308P MKII Studio Monitor Review

hyperplanar

@hyperplanar and @Maiky76 , I'm quite excited about this, managed to work out exactly the filter that is used for the HF Trim -2dB switch on the back of the speaker, and I mean exactly!:D Long story short is that the exact filter used is a 6dB per octave High Shelf Filter at 3000Hz for -2.0dB gain exactly! I'll show my workings in the following, and also find attached a converted SPL Trace for the Listening Window which includes the -2.0dB High Shelf, so this is effectively what the Listening Window measurement would be if Amir flipped the JBL 308p Mkii to HF Trim -2dB position & measured the speaker, I'll attach the text file here:
Effect of Trim Switch -2dB on Listening Window.txt
So the data in the above file can be used for folks who would have wanted an HF Trim -2dB measurement from Amir for EQ purposes - use that file above as the measurement if you want to EQ with the Trim Switch in -2dB position.

OK, so here are my workings on how I derived all this.

Step 1: REW measurements to derive effect of HF Trim Switch at -2.0dB position
I basically did measurements in the exact same 6 places close around my listening position in a 40cm x 25cm rectangle around my listening position, and flipped the HF Trim Switch to either the 0dB or -2dB position for each measurement, so 12 measurements overall. I noticed immediately that the Trim Switch produces a nice smooth offset of -2dB for each measurement I took, so it was very repeatable. However, I still did an average of each of the two sets of measurements (one set being HF Trim switch at 0dB, and the other set at HF Trim Switch -2dB position)....and it is these 2 averages compared that you can see in the pic below. You can see it starts to deviate from 1kHz.
View attachment 93899

Step 2: Working out the Exact Parametric Filter that is being used by the HF Trim -2dB Switch
See that green line in the above pic, that's the -2dB line obviously, I took that Green Line graph and used VirtuixCAD to SPL Trace that line so I could turn it into a text file which I could then import into REW as a Target File for EQ purposes.....so that's what I did. Imported that text file into REW as a Target Curve and then EQ'd the Trim Switch 0dB line (blue line in above pic) to the Green Line if you like. Here's the pic of that, and this was the nuts & bolts of working out the exact parametric filter that is being used by this switch:
View attachment 93900
Note in the above graph you can't see the Target Curve line because it is perfectly obscured by the highlighted green line which is the EQ result which proves how accurate this filter is to what is actually happening in the JBL 308p speaker when you flip that HF Trim switch to -2dB. Yes, so you can see that I'm using "HS 6dB at 3000Hz with -2.0 Gain" in the list of filters in that pic.

Step 3: Applying the above Determined Parametric Filter to Amir's Listening Window Anechoic Data
Right, so this is the last step, and was just a means of creating a text file showing the measurement data if Amir had indeed measured this speaker with the HF Trim Switch in the -2dB position. I simply took Amir's Listening Window data from his file and imported that into REW as a measurement, and I then applied that "HS 6dB at 3000Hz with -2.0 Gain" Filter that we determined in Step #2 above:
View attachment 93901
So above you can see the Effect of the -2dB Trim Switch. I then did an SPL Trace of that EQ'd curve in VirtuixCAD to turn it back into text file data for use by folks for EQ purposes, and following you can see the sucessful SPL Trace I did in VirtuixCAD (zoomed in for better accuracy of data capture):
View attachment 93902
Yes, so find attached the text file which would be effectively the same as if Amir had measured the speaker with HF Trim Switch in -2dB position, this is for the Listening Window only:
Effect of Trim Switch -2dB on Listening Window.txt

In-Room Measurements shown against Harman Curve - Effect of Trim Switch at -2dB position:
Right, so you can see from the following pics that HF Trim Switch at -2dB position is a better fit for the Harman Curve. First pic is HF Trim at 0dB position, and 2nd pic is with HF Trim Switch at -2dB position:
View attachment 93903
View attachment 93904

I hope you folks find this all useful, and I'm certainly gonna revisit my EQ using the Trim Switch at -2dB position. In fact, I'll redo my Listening Window Anechoic EQ using the text file I linked you.....basically I'll be taking that modified measurement and EQ'ing it flat.....although thinking about it I'll just need to take a look at all the graphs & see which makes most sense.....but that's neither here nor there for now. The main point is we now know exactly what the HF Trim Switch does in it's -2dB position, and now you've got the data file upon which you base EQ attempts or comfort for folks who can't or don't EQ and instead want to see what the HF Trim Switch at -2dB position is really doing, which is important because pretty much everyone on the internet says these JBL 308p Mkii speakers are a tad bright.

@amirm , can you envisage in your experience or knowledge any negative issues associated with using the processing inside the speaker (the HF Trim Switch) as a means of influencing the frequency response....any possible degredation of sound fidelity not related to the frequency response change? EDIT: on this point in this paragraph, just did some listening tests comparing a "software HF Trim Switch -2dB" vs using the actual HF Trim Switch -2dB and tonality is exactly the same as expected, and if anything the actual real HF Trim Switch -2dB sounds better, but in reality probably the same.

(@BYRTT , thanks for telling me about VirtuixCAD a few weeks ago re SPL Trace, wouldn't have know about this fantastic program, wouldn't have been able to do without for this little project).

Thanks for taking the time to do this my dude! :)

For future reference, when you want to get the difference of two measurements in REW, you can simply use the "A / B" function to accomplish that (you'll have to scroll towards the 0 dB line to see the resulting graph). Maybe that would have saved some time instead of tracing the graph in Vituix!

The results are very interesting, looks like the -2 dB switch is slightly too much of a cut to perfectly compensate for the baseline treble rise, but it does increase the predicted preference score in the end.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for taking the time to do this my dude! :)

For future reference, when you want to get the difference of two measurements in REW, you can simply use the "A / B" function to accomplish that (you'll have to scroll towards the 0 dB line to see the resulting graph). Maybe that would have saved some time instead of tracing the graph in Vituix!

The results are very interesting, looks like the -2 dB switch is slightly too much of a cut to perfectly compensate for the baseline treble rise, but it does increase the predicted preference score in the end.
No problem, it was fun to do! I might have been able to have saved some time with that "A/B" function, I'll remember that for future use to see how it works.

Yes, according to Amir's measured sample the -2dB switch is praps a tad too much for a flat listening window (as seen by Maiky76's analysis too), but as we both rightly pointed out it does improve the score.....certainly in my sample it improves the sound and ends up with perfect alignment on the Harman Curve during in-room measurements. I was pleased to have worked out the exact effect of the HF Trim Switch -2dB (6dB per octave High Shelf Filter at 3000Hz for -2.0dB gain) which should prove useful for people who are wanting to get really involved in the EQ of their JBL 308p Mkii and want/have to use the least amount of parametric filters....or perhaps more importantly for people that can't/don't EQ then just flipping that HF Trim Switch to -2dB is a straight up improvement.....6.01 preference score baby...5th position in the world for measured speakers on this site, ha!

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

I admit being lost on the discussion ... @Robbo99, @Maiky76 , @hyperplanar , et al are conducting. It flies over my head o_O. What I do understand is how good these are. In the absolute; when you consider their price it makes it astonishing.
If one is adventurous and knowledgeable, one can assemble a top-shelf system with these speakers. I'll take for example the components used by @Robbo99999 ,
laptop (most of us have one) so .................................. $0.00
REW/Equalizer APO .......................................................... $0.00 for both ( Please make a donation)
UMik 1 .................................................................................... $100.00
Topping e30 DAC ............................................................. $130.00
JBL 308p ................................................................................ $500 /Pair
SVS sub .................................................................................. $1000/pair
Some active crossover to split the signal ................. $200~300 ?

About $2000 for a complete, accurate full range audio system?

WOW!

For the record, I don't hear the hiss from the 308 MK1 (not II), at my listening position, about 10 ft from the speakers. I use them in my HT... subjectively, I find them lacking in "refinement" in the treble, it could be time to use the - 2 dB treble settings

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

I admit being lost on the discussion ... @Robbo99, @Maiky76 , @hyperplanar , et al are conducting. It flies over my head o_O. What I do understand is how good these are. In the absolute; when you consider their price it makes it astonishing.
If one is adventurous and knowledgeable, one can assemble a top-shelf system with these speakers. I'll take for example the components used by @Robbo99999 ,
laptop (most of us have one) so .................................. $0.00
REW/Equalizer APO .......................................................... $0.00 for both ( Please make a donation)
UMik 1 .................................................................................... $100.00
Topping e30 DAC ............................................................. $130.00
JBL 308p ................................................................................ $500 /Pair
SVS sub .................................................................................. $1000/pair
Some active crossover to split the signal ................. $200~300 ?

About $2000 for a complete, accurate full range audio system?

WOW!

For the record, I don't hear the hiss from the 308 MK1 (not II), at my listening position, about 10 ft from the speakers. I use them in my HT... subjectively, I find them lacking in "refinement" in the treble, it could be time to use the - 2 dB treble settings
Glad you're enjoying those speakers, they are good value! (I don't have a sub though, in your list there, so they're not all my components). Do you use yours with a sub....oh yeah you got them in your HT system. I got my JBL's on sale here in the UK for £300 for a pair, which is a pretty crazy deal because UK to USA prices for electronics all you need to do is change it to a dollar sign if you see what I mean!

Ah, about what Maiky / Planar & me are discussing....we just wanted to work out the exact the effect on the frequency response of the HF Trim Switch when at the -2dB position (I worked it out) and then Maiky worked out the effect of that on the Preference Score (amoungst other things).....because it's an easy way to improve the speaker and we wanted to quantify that improvement. Flip that switch baby, ha!

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been investigating Distortion on my JBL 308p Mkii's today, because that was the only real negative from Amir's review. I think they're showing significantly less distortion than the samples Amir measured unless I'm interpreting my measurements wrongly. I measured 2 speakers playing together at 2m distance (my listening position), so I think the calculations mean that this is equivalent of 1 speaker being measured at 1m in terms of the amount of stress each speaker is being put under.....ie the same stress. Total Harmonic Distortion is highlighted.

77dB My Normal Listening Level:
Normal Listening Level Distortion.jpg

86dB My Absolute Max Listening Level:
absolute max listening level.jpg

Am I correct in my interpretation that my 308's are showing signifcantly less distortion than Amir's measured sample?? EDIT: I believe so, because if you look in the bottom window of my screenshots all distortion types are below 0.5% at 86dB, whereas Amir's sample measured at anything from around 0.5 minimum to max over 5% distortion at the same level....as long as you can compare in-room measurements to anechoic measurements when it comes to distortion....either way I'm getting what I view to be very low distortion at my absolute maximum listening volume (which essentially I never really come close to in pretty much all situations) - seems like the distortion issue is not an issue in my use case & with my particular units I've measured.

EDIT #2: and here's the 86dB measurement displayed with y-axis as percentage which is more comparable to Amir's graphs:
absolute max listening level (percentage).jpg

As you can see THD distortion below 1% across the whole frequency range, absolutely no problems. @amirm , how does this compare to your sample you measured, is my speaker showing better distortion readings and perhaps we have unit to unit variation or is there some difficulties in comparing your measurements with mine? Either way I'm assuming that distortion is a complete non-issue at my listening levels given my measurements?

Last edited:

mga2009

Excellent review! Thanks!

Now we need a Kali Audio LP-8 review to see which budget 8 incher is king.

According the AH's review, the LP8 does not measure as flat as the 308 (specially the 800Hz dip) but it would be great to have a review of both speakers with the same methodology.

Jaimo

Hopefully we find such a beast as we keep testing. We are so close....

My gut tells me that the 708i with good external amplification and DSP could well be that beast...

nick-v

I used to think 7 of these would be good for Home Theater use, but looking at the distortion measurements now I'm not so sure. Any idea how the distortion would look with the 308p's crossed over to subwoofer(s) @ 80Hz?

BYRTT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I used to think 7 of these would be good for Home Theater use, but looking at the distortion measurements now I'm not so sure. Any idea how the distortion would look with the 308p's crossed over to subwoofer(s) @ 80Hz?

No clue about distortion numbers but below model simulate 40 watts into 8Ω or 80 watts into 4Ω crestfactor 3, one can then eyeball the power difference between the inherent 7th order BW rolloff @42Hz verse 4th order LR rolloff @80Hz, and for 308P MKII it can be a tiny bit better and more theoretical correct at very lows if one also cascade exactly what the high pass filter is for subwoofer :)..

nick-v_x1x1_500mS.gif

nick-v_1.png

pbc

Just picked these speakers up from Amazon after reading this review and looking for a pair of powered speakers to replace my Cat8c's which will go into my basement theater. In my upstairs family room I tend to watch TV/listen at no higher than - 15 and so far, so good. They are crossed to a sub at 80hz.

Running them with an Avm60, with the 308 at full gain, the AVM with ARC sets their levels to +10 which seems high, but maybe it's due to the large room they're in.

Curious though, I can't seem to get them to enter standby mode which is supposed to be in by default (and I've tried the method in the manual).

I'm wondering if the issue is that at full gain on the speakers amplifier, is that causing the speaker to never enter standby mode even if it is not receiving a signal?

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just picked these speakers up from Amazon after reading this review and looking for a pair of powered speakers to replace my Cat8c's which will go into my basement theater. In my upstairs family room I tend to watch TV/listen at no higher than - 15 and so far, so good. They are crossed to a sub at 80hz.

Running them with an Avm60, with the 308 at full gain, the AVM with ARC sets their levels to +10 which seems high, but maybe it's due to the large room they're in.

Curious though, I can't seem to get them to enter standby mode which is supposed to be in by default (and I've tried the method in the manual).

I'm wondering if the issue is that at full gain on the speakers amplifier, is that causing the speaker to never enter standby mode even if it is not receiving a signal?
Sometimes I'll find that one of my 308p speakers haven't entered standby, and it's usually the same one, but there's no real fixed pattern. I think it could be some interference in the cabling so it makes the speaker think it's receiving a very low signal still....it's not any interference I can hear coming out of the speaker though, that's my theory. I run my 308p's at about 3.5 - 4.0 on volume control on the back of the speaker, so it's not just happening to people who have the gain turned all the way up (like you are doing). EDIT: mine only have intermittant standby issues when plugged into my miniDSP 2x4 which is seperately powered and therefore always trying to add EQ to any signal that it think's it's receiving, so maybe it's something to do with that, it might be amplifying somekind of interference that's present....if I plug them directly into my E30 DAC then they always go into standby.

pbc

Thanks, when they go into standby does the light shut off completely?

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks, when they go into standby does the light shut off completely?
Not completely shut off the light, just dims it very significantly, you'd be able to tell the difference.

pbc

Okay, definitely not working. Just unplugged one from the source and dropped the gain down to the lowest setting. Left it for an hour or whatever and no change.

Maybe I will try turning the auto standby function off... Then on again

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the LSR305 MK2 and the standby feature is flaky.. I had to use an Home Automation switch controlled by Logitech Harmony and the Apple HomeKit.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Cat8c? Seaton?

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi, I redid my distortion measurements of my 308p in light of what was said to me in other threads in terms of best practice for measuring distortion. Yes, so I redid the measurements at 0.33 metres (each speaker seperately) for an initial target of 96dB at 0.33m which would equate to Amir's graphs of 86dB at 1m (he measures at 0.33m as I have done & then converts)......I was initially targeting this, but fell short by one dB, my 1kHz measurements were at 94dB which translates to 85dB at 1 metre. I did 512K sweeps for greater accuracy than the standard 256K, but I didn't do 1M sweeps because I was holding the mic due to lack of an extendable tripod....(I compared to some results using a little tripod at a greater measuring distance and the distortion results were the same vs me holding the mic, so no influence there). Following are my results, essentially pretty much all of the response is under 2% distortion across the board, and most of it is under 1% distortion. There is one exception to this and that is in the left speaker at 60Hz where it spikes briefly to 10%, but if you look at my raw frequency response you can see that corresponds with a massive null in the frequency response, so that's due to somekind of room mode so I think that 10% peak can be discounted. It doesn't have the distortion peak at the crossover between 1-2kHz that Amir's sample had, and my 308p samples perform better in the bass re distortion, so I think there is some unit to unit variance to account for the difference with Amir's measured sample of the 308p. My distortion measurments are a little worse than the results I showed before when it was all under 1% distortion, but that was measured in a stereo environment at 2 metres, so these results should be more accurate. (Note the first graph in each set is just the frequency response so you can see what kind of dB level I'm running the tests at, and also to notice any anomalies which I've discussed).
Right Speaker:
View attachment 98987
View attachment 98988
Left Speaker:

View attachment 98989
View attachment 98990

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
Looks like the amplifier board should be easy to repair if/when the power supply capacitors go out.

Interesting asymmetrical woofer waveguide design. Maybe the upper and lower lips help to beam the sound horizontally?

Top Bottom