• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Case Study: Constant Beam Transducer Speakers in Commercial Project

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This was an article I wrote for the local magazine that gets sent to high-end designers, builders, and architects. It had to be very short and not too technical. It is also designed to be a bit of advertorial for my company so I hope you don't mind that aspect :).
---
Bringing Science to Commercial Projects: The Seattle Great Wheel
By Amir Majidimehr

[Note: this article was originally published in the Premier Builder Magazine.]

GreatWheel005K4660-small.jpg
The covered area where the music plays as patrons wait to board.

The bulk of innovations in our industry go toward residential projects. As a way of example, we routinely design home theaters that outperform most commercial movie theaters! Residential projects are often driven by the dreams of people to achieve the best in life with less consideration to cost. The commercial side though is often driven by utility and return on investment which tends to stymie innovation. That is a shame as much can be done to increase the function and customer enjoyment of such projects. Fortunately there are some exceptions. This article is about one of those, namely, the Seattle Great Wheel. Standing tall at 175 feet (the tallest on the west coast), the wheel sports a beautiful modern design. The client wanted to make the process of waiting to board the wheel as enjoyable as possible with background music.

If one wanted to just throw something together this would be an easy project. Put some outdoor speakers there with a few amplifiers pushing the sound to them and you would be done. But there are problems with this solution. This being an outdoor situation means you need a lot of power to fill the area. Now consider a law of physics when it comes to speakers: sound power drops proportional to the square of distance. This means that if you double the distance from a speaker, you get four times less sound. Triple the distance and you now have a whopping eight times less power. Now imagine a person standing next to a speaker and another 20 feet away. You can imagine one going deaf while the other hearing normal volume. Not exactly the good experience you want to have when you are aiming for an enjoyable experience for your customers in such a landmark.

A related problem is that the sound quality of a speaker changes depending on whether you are standing in front of it or to its side. The higher frequency tones are more directional meaning if you move to the side of the speaker you will not hear them as much. This translates to the sound being muffled in those areas versus standing directly in front of the speaker. In this situation customers are walking around the line as they get closer to the boarding point as opposed to, say, you enjoying music at home always in your favorite chair. So ideally we would have the same fidelity for everyone in the line and not something that changes up and down.

Turns out there is a solution to these problems but not one that you or your typical AV supplier is aware of. Its origin dates back to 1970s when navy researchers aiming to improve underwater communication and sonar invented a new type of device called a Constant Beam Transducer or CBT for short. By utilizing an array of speakers specially configured to work as one, a “wall of sound” is generated that moves in a much more efficient and focused manner that nearly solves all the problems I mentioned above. Specifically, sound energy coming out of a CBT drops at a rate proportional to distance travelled and not the square of it as is the case with conventional speakers. So if you are three times away from the speaker, now the sound level is only three times less, not eight. That is a dramatic improvement.

Listening to a CBT speaker for the first time is an uncanny experience. As you walk up to it the sound level seems to not change at all. Nor does it change in quality as you move around it. Try walking up toward your home speakers and note how it does not act this way. CBTs as such are perfect for amplification of sound in large spaces.

MadronaCBT005K4783-small.jpg
Close up of the JBL CBT speaker showing how nicely it blends into the
architecture of the wheel.
Alas, what is good for the government is not always good for commercial deployments where costs have to be manageable. Fast forward a few decades later and JBL, the company that produces the vast majority of speakers and electronics for outdoor concerts, commercial theaters and recording studios, tamed the complexity of CBT devices by a patented process and produced a series of speakers that are quite reasonably priced yet preserve all the qualities of CBTs. The manifestation is a highly robust outdoor speaker with superb power handling and reliability together with all the benefits of CBT technology.

For the Great Wheel, we strategically positioned these speakers in the waiting area. They are mounted on the columns and nearly completely blend into the structure of the wheel. Since there is little sensation of the music changing in volume as customers get near or away from the speakers, the patrons are simply unaware that these speakers even exist. Yet they hear enjoyable music, reducing the anticipation of waiting in line.

Here is the full shot showing the CBT speaker in location:

Great-Wheel-Waiting-Area.jpg

Not visible are a set of subwoofers delivering the low frequencies (since those are not directional the subwoofers can be placed where convenient which in this case meant out of sight). Amplification is provided courtesy of Crown which is a sister division to JBL. We like them because they have built in processing that we use to optimize the sound, route the appropriate signal to each speaker, and to provide equipment protection (limiters).

This project is not without irony. Research that was aimed at underwater navy vessels is being harvested for this beautiful project which itself towers over the waters of the Puget Sound. When you visit the wheel next time with someone, you will have a great story to tell of the technology that powers its sound system!

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Here are a couple of other shots that did not make it into the article. It was a dark and cold day so tried to make the best of it due to deadline for the article :).
005K4864.jpg
005K4874-processed.jpg

Archaea

@amirm
I followed this link happenstance, when I was reading your x4700h review thread. I was surprised and delighted to see your use of JBL CBT speakers in this project. I first heard these speakers in a Kansas City AMC Prime Cinema and absolutely loved them! That was my favorite commercial cinema experience, and at the time my friends and I commented on just how amazing those speakers sounded. They also looked the part, which doesn't hurt. ;)

195872_upload_2019-2-20_15-8-16.png

I set an eBay alert for JBL CBT 70j-1 and waited close to three years before I found a deal on 13 of them from a single seller I could afford. He had used them in a commercial 5K race audio setup and strung them along the full length of the race course due to their design characteristic retention of SPL at distance and broad uniform coverage. The seller was fortunately local and the sale made. I bought 13 of his 34 for use in my home theater, and really enjoy them for the characteristics and sound quality they offer. This purchase was about 2 years ago at this point, and I've been pleased as peach with the outcome.

I can put my AVR in all channel stereo and walk nearly anywhere in the room and the sound is identical. It's really unique and novel, and I like to show that unique CBT line array aspect off for my HT guests. Another neat factor is that because the sound is spread among so many different drivers top to bottom I can play a media clip at reference level and walk right up to any particular speaker and not feel blown back by the volume. Instead of one tweeter trying to play reference, that will make you cringe if you put your ear up to it based on the required SPL, there are 16 soft dome tweeters sharing the load and so any particular single one is not nearly as loud. This allows for great surround field speaker placement because it doesn't blow that closest seat out with obnoxious SPL!

I've suggested a pair of these to a friend for his giant, beautiful, pool setup, and for our church sanctuary for obvious reasons. Broad coverage of uniform sound, plenty of SPL capability, waterproof even (for the pool use setting).

My HT room is not big enough to really need these specific characteristics, and I only have a single row, yet I think these speakers are the cat's meow (panther's meow?), and it's fun to have something reminiscent of my favorite commercial cinema experience memory.

I adopted AMC's cosmetic fanfare too, and installed RBG 5050 lighting strips in them controlled by Alexa, so I can make the speakers glow. I can say "Alexa, it is showtime", and she turns off the speaker reveal lights behind the screen and dims the in speaker RBG lighting to 5% brightness on all the surrounds for my movie watching, or "Alexa the movie is over" which brings the lights back up to full!

Here are a few pictures to show how they are setup in my HT room:

Inexpensive RGB 5050 mod with Alexa based controller
IMG_0234.jpg

Putting the speaker back together
IMG_0566.jpg

I wired the RGB 5050 lighting up to CAT5e jacks for a clean look to the wallplate. Brave was the first movie I watched in Dolby Atmos at the AMC Prime commercial cinema, and they had a Dolby Rep there that introduced the Atmos technology before the movie and gave everyone a Brave poster, so it gets a special spot in my HT.
IMG_0688.jpg

Just one view of the HT
IMG_1602.jpg

and another
IMG_1604.jpg

and a third
IMG_1608.jpg

The movie Gravity, with the RBG 5050 lights turned to turquoise to show the JBL CBT 70J-1 speaker placement behind the screen.
IMG_0929.JPG

Anyway, I thought I'd share my own experience with these special speakers since they happened to be the focal point in your unique commercial install! I think they are also a fun/exceptional choice for HT.

I've only recently started to explore your site. I appreciate your expertise (and the way you handle conflict) as you share your impressive knowledge with the audio enthusiasts community.

Thanks for what you do!
~Jonathan

---------------
AVS Forum HT room thread:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-g...rchaea-s-multi-purpose-home-theater-room.html

chekhonte

That is really cool. I encountered a homemade beam speaker At the Museum of Jurassic Technology in LA. It was pointed directly at a small seating area in front of an LCD screen explaining the museum. It is definitely an uncanny experience. If you moved a couple of feet to the right or left the audio would completely dissipate.

Archaea

That is really cool. I encountered a homemade beam speaker At the Museum of Jurassic Technology in LA. It was pointed directly at a small seating area in front of an LCD screen explaining the museum. It is definitely an uncanny experience. If you moved a couple of feet to the right or left the audio would completely dissipate.
Interesting, but that must be a different type of technology. The design of these speakers is to have the broadest symmetrical coverage of the listening area, not a narrow beam of sound.

JimB

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Interesting, but that must be a different type of technology. The design of these speakers is to have the broadest symmetrical coverage of the listening area, not a narrow beam of sound.
Unless his array was horizontal...

chekhonte

There was no way for me to test it and the museum provides either no explanation for its effects or worse, highly questionable explanations.

kearkg

i am thinking of using one of these speakers for my living room setup. do you think i could use one horizontally under the TV (like a soundbar). or would i have to get two and do a L/R setup? would any modern AVR power these well?

Archaea

ASR reviewed the JBL CBT 70J-1 here last year:

Also;
YouTuber Youthman toured through Kansas City Home Theaters and and had a stop at my place to demo my thirteen JBL CBT 70j-1 line arrays in a 9.x.4 Dolby Atmos configuration.

His video tour of my room goes live today.

iMickey503

Forum Donor
What a dream job! Installing speakers and audio systems at outdoor places like this so everyone gets to hear and experience it. And then after ALL THAT... Maybe 1000 out the 300,000,000 will ever even notice how good the sound is.

Its like to be a great engineer or designer, the best compliment is to not have anyone notice what went into it. It just is taken for granted. The thought process seems to be that if its made so well, it just expected to work perfect to let the user go about with whatever they are doing.

Like the engineer who specified stainless steel Hardware so that down the line someone can service the part without having to resort to a torch to get the part off. Or the team that said it would be a good idea to make a V-6 that would last the true lifetime of the car as long as the specified maintenance was adhered to.

I have this feeling that in the future? There are going to be a lot of things that were put in place that few will understand or even be able to appreciate the work that went into creating such achievements. Let alone maintain them without significant forethought to ensure the installations of these projects such as these are well looked after for the foreseeable future.

I sure hope there is Wikipedia page on sound installations that cover some of these aspects as I don't recall seeing to much of it in the public sphere of Consciousness and awareness.

When I was a kid, I told everyone I was going to design speakers. So naturally, they sent me to a radio station, and then... Sent me to a silicon wafer plant. I guess if I wanted to make amplifier that might of helped out a bit I guess. :)

Heck, before this year? I thought Amir was the Girl from Manley labs that made Tube gear. But I think I was the only one. Really respect that gal since her amp the stingray was featured in a magazine.

And this WHOLE time... He has a Link to his Bio Right underneath his signature... And I never even bothered to look.
Seems that's the way things are going if we look back in the past. Most people don't even know how to fix their carbs on a mower or weed eater. Let alone explain what a "Choke" does. It seems we are all guilty of taking things for granted. And it really should not be that way.
But in a way? If you did a great job at something? No one is even going to notice.

So I guess the best kind of compliment for a job for any kind of profession done well is simply being taken for granted for things that just work without much thought given to it.

To many things IMO that we use everyday are simply just footnotes in time that we simply pass by without a thought of seeing how they got there. It's kind of a shame. But at the same time? Everyone Remembers the Pinto, and the Edsel. But few will remember the products or items we used and enjoyed and may still be using till this very day. Never even giving it a thought the marvel that it was in our lives.

For me? If it was not for George Ballas, I would have never known the joy of using a weed eater.
And if it was not for Amir? I don't think many would be enjoying great sound like many of us are today.

Sure there have been a lot of greats out there. But for me? It was the first time I heard how sweet digital audio could be. Coming out of a sub $100.00 DAC that I later so cherished, I often give them away as gifts to freinds and family members.

And if it was not for ASR? Amir and others? I don't think I would really have the appreciation of audio that I do now. I always like listening to music. It's just that now I know how to get to those goals that I'm after. And that's worth its mark on history if you ask me. I can't be the only one.

AND LORD DID IT SAVE SOOOOOOOO MUCH MOOONEEYY!!!

You should talk more about the stuff your company does Amir. Those flat panel speakers sound really cool. I never heard of them. Did you ever do an article on them?

Top Bottom