• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which audio companies have solid engineering chops?

noobie1

Obviously, every company will produce a dud here and there. Which companies consistently design and produce solidly engineered products?

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Emotiva as of recent (excluding their early AVR attempts), DMG Holdings seem to do a good job.

Ken Newton

Sony once was highly regarded for it's innovation, it's engineering, and it's manufacturing chops. However, I wonder if this remains true today.

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sony once was highly regarded for it's innovation, it's engineering, and it's manufacturing chops. However, I wonder if this remains true today.

Sony is like any other giant of yesteryear: Commoditization has taken it's toll. They still produce ES series though.

Pioneer was another company like that but times have changed and AVR's and TV's, for most people, is a race to the bottom.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Bryston, Boulder

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Wombat

Master Contributor
Yamaha, NAD and Technics/Panasonic - from a user. Also Altec, living on as Great Plains Audio.

I think that snobbery disparages Behringer products. Way-back-when they had problems with unleaded solder introduction and crap Chinese electrolytic capacitors in power supplies(not alone there).

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Nagra has split into two parts their pro side is still respectable engineering the HiFi division is now male jewellery, on reflection perhaps it always was.
Keith

Jakob1863

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Nagra has split into two parts their pro side is still respectable engineering the HiFi division is now male jewellery, on reflection perhaps it always was.
Keith

It is my understanding that, while the Kudelski Group has splitted into two parts, the audio division covers the whole audio related product range including anything professional (see www.nagraaudio.com) while the other division does something completely different (see www.nagra.com) .

Wombat

Master Contributor
Weiss Engineering, Luxman, Meyer Sound

I love my Luxman 1050R(1977 purchase)receiver. If it had pre-out/main-in it would currently be in my main system.

Cosmik

Major Contributor
Maybe there's a slight conflict between "solid engineering" and "hi fi"..? In a recent review of a DAC, Amir was critical of its capacitor coupled output, but one way of protecting an AC output against short circuits to DC is to couple it to the outside world via a capacitor. It also protects against faults in your circuit propagating down the line into a power amplifier with DC coupling and blowing up the speakers (or worse?).

(I am not saying that that particular product used capacitors for this reason, however. The same product seemed to use a double sided PCB when it really should have been at least a four layer. The cost savings are presumably significant for a budget device, but can you then call it "solid engineering"?).

At one time Quad used to say their amps were "Unconditionally stable into any load", and they were used in professional applications as 'workhorses'. This, in itself put many hi-fi enthusiasts off the brand, and they couldn't get out of their heads the idea that the output was woolly, restrained, over-protected, dull. If you want to make an electronic circuit 'bullet-proof', it will require extra complexity that hi-fi enthusiasts will shun.

Surface mount devices are much more reliable and produce electrically superior circuits compared to through-hole leaded components, but hi-fi enthusiasts are convinced they "suck the life out of music".

Wombat

Master Contributor
Maybe there's a slight conflict between "solid engineering" and "hi fi"..? In a recent review of a DAC, Amir was critical of its capacitor coupled output, but one way of protecting an AC output against short circuits to DC is to couple it to the outside world via a capacitor. It also protects against faults in your circuit propagating down the line into a power amplifier with DC coupling and blowing up the speakers (or worse?).

(I am not saying that that particular product used capacitors for this reason, however. The same product seemed to use a double sided PCB when it really should have been at least a four layer. The cost savings are presumably significant for a budget device, but can you then call it "solid engineering"?).

At one time Quad used to say their amps were "Unconditionally stable into any load", and they were used in professional applications as 'workhorses'. This, in itself put many hi-fi enthusiasts off the brand, and they couldn't get out of their heads the idea that the output was woolly, restrained, over-protected, dull. If you want to make an electronic circuit 'bullet-proof', it will require extra complexity that hi-fi enthusiasts will shun.

Surface mount devices are much more reliable and produce electrically superior circuits compared to through-hole leaded components, but hi-fi enthusiasts are convinced they "suck the life out of music".

Capacitor output is no different to other utilisation of capacitors - it has to be correctly applied by design.

Top Bottom