• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Magnetic fields can make you enjoy music more

Don Hills

Addicted to Fun and Learning
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41562-017-0241-z

"Scientists have tracked down the bit of the brain that gives you goosebumps and chills when you hear music you love.
... Researchers discovered that the fronto-striatal circuits of the brain can be stimulated to make someone enjoy the music more or less.

... Subjects rated their experience of listening to songs they like, plus others selected by the researchers, by saying how they were affected on a four point scale ranging from neutral to chills.

While they did so, researchers applied magnetic fields to the brain circuits which they suspected were involved in feelings of musical pleasure. By changing activity in the brain circuitry, the researchers could change the pleasure experienced.

The researchers said this could provide insights into further studies on how a structured sequence of sounds (yes, music) may become pleasant.

It could also open the way into research into how to further understand the brain's role in humans experiencing aesthetic pleasure. " - Stuff

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I was ready to write a long response then realized I need to stop, write up, and patent any use of magnets in audio rooms or around audio components or interconnects to cash in on the next round of audiophile tweaks.

Perhaps all the improvements in speakers has simply been due to stronger magnets that increase the magnetic field in the room? :)

What if I place a magnet under the seat or in the headrest of my favorite chair? An electromagnet so you can vary the field? Oops, another patent in the works...

OP
D

Don Hills

Headphones would be the logical place to install "music pleasure centre magnetic field generators".

Vincent Kars

Technical Expert
Now I understand why I love my Apogees, 2 square meters of magnets!

OP
D

Don Hills

...What if I place a magnet under the seat ... of my favorite chair? ...

Could have unexpected effects, stimulating a different pleasure centre... still worth patenting, I hear there's quite a lucrative market for such things.

TBone

Major Contributor
I'm still trying to figure out what gives a goose "goosebumps" ...

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) is a magnetic method used to stimulate small regions of the brain. During a TMS procedure, a magnetic field generator, or "coil", is placed near the head of the person receiving the treatment.[1]:3 The coil produces small electric currents in the region of the brain just under the coil via electromagnetic induction. The coil is connected to a pulse generator, or stimulator, that delivers electric current to the coil.[2]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transcranial_magnetic_stimulation

Hmmm...

http://www.medicalexpo.com/medical-manufacturer/transcranial-magnetic-stimulator-32092.html

I bet Kal has one in the closet.

Last edited:

Legit Reviewer

I was ready to write a long response then realized I need to stop, write up, and patent any use of magnets in audio rooms or around audio components or interconnects to cash in on the next round of audiophile tweaks.
Here's a list of Best Computer Speakers you can find today.
Cheers!

OP
D

Don Hills

iridium

Perhaps all the improvements in speakers has simply been due to stronger magnets that increase the magnetic field in the room? :)

What if I place a magnet under the seat or in the headrest of my favorite chair? An electromagnet so you can vary the field? Oops, another patent in the works...

The way the current [pun intended] world thinks & acts the magnet should probably be cylindrical in a vertical direction on top of the seat and inserted at least 6 inches.

iridium.

TBone

Major Contributor
A gander...

hehehe ... I've probably been attacked by more geese than any other creature on this planet, being a fisherman: I've too often wandered unknowingly into their "territory" (esp during breading season) and have payed the price - as they swing their heads and literally punch you with their head/neck, hence giving me goosebumps.

Top Bottom