• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Most beautiful speakers in the world ?

Koloth

Swans is a manufacturer whose portfolio consists of 99% horribly tasteless chinese knockoffs of western designs. These, however, are just on the right side of the line between luxurious and Trump-style-luxurious to me: Swans V5

And to introduce something truly affordable into this thread, I give you these stunningly looking Tannoys.
tannoy-gold.jpg

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Since the big Davone speakers and the Avantgarde Zeroes have already beenmentioned, let me propose a few more conservative but imho very tasteful designs:

OSIRIS-IMG_0952-Dg.jpg

The Trenner & Friedl Osiris

I always liked the look of that speaker! Glad it showed up here.

It's fun to peruse Pinterest speaker images. There are an astonishing number of fascinating (and expensive) looking speakers, especially from Europe, that are completely off the radar from what you usually see discussed in audiophile forums or magazines or dealerships.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
From the WayBack Machine = The Empire Grenadier:

View attachment 91184

You know I have my father's pair of these (9000M mk2 with Alnico magnet 15" woofers, the mk1s had a 15lb conventional magnet structure), in their original boxes in my storeroom. I need a pair of midranges (bespoke Empire) as they failed decades ago (I have spare tweeters). Wish I was in America as they often come up for sale, sometimes just the mid/treble assemblies and I want to rebuild them for my father. Running out of time as he is 87yo. :)

I love the look of them because I grew up with them in the loungeroom.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
The Göbel Epoque Aeon Fine
A BMR for the top end?

I've never seen comprehensive measurements of those drivers. They do seem to be gaining popularity as a lifestyle item. Desktop speakers and such.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
You know I have my father's pair of these (9000M mk2 with Alnico magnet 15" woofers, the mk1s had a 15lb conventional magnet structure), in their original boxes in my storeroom. I need a pair of midranges (bespoke Empire) as they failed decades ago (I have spare tweeters). Wish I was in America as they often come up for sale, sometimes just the mid/treble assemblies and I want to rebuild them for my father. Running out of time as he is 87yo. :)

I love the look of them because I grew up with them in the loungeroom.
I seem to remember the sound of them to be somewhat subdued and not very bright at all on the high end. Granted it was decades ago the last time I heard them, so my ABX recollection could very well be rubbish.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A slim, sophisticated floorstanding speaker with a nice wood finish has fit my aesthetic and sonic ideal for many years:

Audio Physic:
Audiophysic codex.jpg

Tidal speaker:
Tidal speaker 2.jpg

But in recent years I've become ever more smitten with the look and sound of some wide-baffled speakers (I haven't heard all these, except the Devores):

Wide baffle speaker wood.jpg

Wide baffle speakers black.jpg

Devore O:96 2 copy.jpg

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Over the years, many other websites have hosted similar threads for "most beautiful" and "ugliest" speakers. What amuses me most is that so many speakers seem to qualify for both lists.

SineWave

Not thEE best looking, but I always liked the way Dali speakers looked. My 1st set of speakers ever were Dali IV.

Later I purchased JBL L7, L5 and CL505 for 2CH was well as HT (now in storage).

Then later got Martin Logan Electrostatics.

Then got Dali again for HT...but didn't like the sound so sold them a few weeks later. They looked like the ones in the last pic below, but from a line a little lower in price where the wood was not as shiny. (I later got another set of ML for HT).

I have all my speakers still except the Dali IV (surrounds rotted out and I was moving across the country so junked them). They were the only ones with real solid wood made 100% of veneer. Got them around 1985/6 new at $200 pr. Best valued speakers I ever owned. Would have kept them if the surrounds had no issues or if I still had room for them.

DaliEpicon6 2.jpg
dali 6a.jpg
Dali.jpg

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I seem to remember the sound of them to be somewhat subdued and not very bright at all on the high end.

My recollections on sound are not much use with the Empires as it is so long ago and I was young. They were replaced in the early 80s by modern speakers, not because of perceived poor sound, but due to the midrange/tweeter and woofer suspension problems.

They always had a raucous/prominent midrange to me and a recessed treble, were phenomenally efficient, but a lovely bottom end from the 15" down-firing bass driver. They also handled quite a bit of power. My plan is to hopefully get hold of replacement mids (they are welded together bespoke 4-5" edge driven domes) and then play with the various Philips dome tweeters I have amassed to see what can be achieved with totally new crossover design.

Hopefully that can be done so he can once again have them alongside all the (now fully restored) antique oak furniture they looked so good with in the 1970s in their current downstairs sitting room.

Last edited:

tuga

Major Contributor
Well it's nice to see the TV mounted at the proper height for once. People are generally obsessed with mounting their TV's waaay too high. The shame with this otherwise beautiful installation, is surrounding the sunken-in speakers with shelving.

It is a shame indeed. And this is from the manufacturer's website who should know better.

Top Bottom