• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommendation for MOST DETAILED, ANALYTICAL, X-RAY - 3D HOLOGRAPHIC DAC available?

A800

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Isn't it plugged into it's power supply during testing? What is this output stage you keep referring to that isn't already measured? And what is the etc. that is slipping through?

Ok.
For me the DAC is the chip itself.

A800

In the common language, a DAC is an assembled and working/ready to use device ≠ DAC chip alone. Amir is measuring DACs, meaning the all implementation. You can't separate chip from the all assembled unit when you measure performance.

I got that now.

StefaanE

Forum Donor
For me? Yes.
You mean to say you can reliably hear whether there is a capacitor in the signal path or not?

A800

You mean to say you can reliably hear whether there is a capacitor in the signal path or not?

I never tried direct A/B but it should be possible.

StefaanE

Forum Donor
I never tried direct A/B but it should be possible.
Forget it. With a SINAD of 100dB your capacitor would need to introduce 20dB of distortion to be perceivable.

Last edited:
OP
I

insoc

Have you considered going to a psychic, then?

No because it would be very expensive. The psychic would have to summon not only the artist, but the instruments as well, the other members of the band, an acoustic hall et al. It's cheaper to buy the best DAC in the world...

OP
I

insoc

Thanks, Holmes. I might also want to point out that separating the words "x-ray" and "3D with a hyphen doesn't change the fact that x-rays are 2D. So which one do you want - 2D or 3D? And are you sure you want an x-ray and not a CT, or an MRI?

Like a 3 yo child: 3d is for depth, XRAY 2d is to hear every subtle detail in the recording...

Last edited:

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I was referring solely to the type of digital product and measurement spread under discussion in the thread, sorry if I didn't make that clear enough by forgetting to include a list of everything that has ever existed in the entire history of the universe that I wasn't referring to.

As to your assertion that I might not have read much on the forum, congratulations for going straight in at the ad hom with anyone who presents a criticism you don't line up with..

Nice move, classy.

I’m afraid that’s not an ad hominem, it’s a simple accusation, based on the evidence here - your broadly worded assertion that ”the problem with this site is...etc.” NOT refined by product type. However, there are plenty of threads on this site on audible thresholds for DAC performance if you would care to look:

https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...olds-of-amp-and-dac-measurements.5734/page-24

Accusing someone of being classless (via sarcasm or not) is, however, an ad hominem.

HighImpactAV

A coupling capacitor will roll off the low end frequencies and is easy to tell when outputting to a subwoofer or full range speaker. It has nothing to do with distortion. All my DACs and audio processor are DC coupled and have no coupling caps.

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Like a 3 yo child: 3d is for depth, XRAY 2d is to hear the every subtle detail in the recording...

I see, thank you for clarifying what you meant when you used the words "x-ray" and "3D" to describe qualities of a DAC. As I'm sure others have pointed out, these terms may carry a distinct meaning to you, but they do not carry that same meaning to others. 3 yo children often make up words or give them special meaning as well...

StefaanE

Forum Donor
A coupling capacitor will roll off the low end frequencies and is easy to tell when outputting to a subwoofer or full range speaker. It has nothing to do with distortion. All my DACs and audio processor are DC coupled and have no coupling caps.
I think we weren't arguing that specific use of a capacitor :).

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
A coupling capacitor will roll off the low end frequencies and is easy to tell when outputting to a subwoofer or full range speaker.

Doesn't the high input impedance of the following gear push the cutoff frequency way down to the infrasound domain, assuming that the cap doesn't have a tiny value?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Doesn't the high input impedance of the following gear push the cutoff frequency way down to the infrasound domain, assuming that the cap doesn't have a tiny value?
Yes, if you size the cap so the -3 db point is 2 hz, then it is pretty much pristine from 20 hz and up. You can see that in prosumer recording interfaces where even on the microphone inputs they'll go very flat to very low frequencies. They have caps in the signal path to block phantom power.

Here is the FR of the Motu M4 as measured by Amir.
1603836331091.png

Top Bottom