• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AudioQuest Wind High-end Cable Review

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
View attachment 89831
:^)
I only knew Hitachi made good CRTs cause I saved a SuperScan Elite 751 from being junked by a family member this past summer.
Their 0 input latency and lack of sample-and-hold motion blur is handy for FPS and rhythm games as well- especially the blur. There are plenty of modern TN LCDs with input latency well under 1ms, which is acceptable for most people. But, absolutely none have motion clarity as good as CRTs, still. That just won't happen until manufactures can figure out efficient strobbing techniques with OLED, since LCD pixel transition times are always just too slow. CRTs' truly black blacks are also nice, of course.
I've been writing an article on CRTs and their death, actually: https://xykreilon.neocities.org/xyk/gdcr.html
It's fun playing osu! at 485p 180Hz on my G90f. Pretty swanky for a monitor from 2002.
https://tube.midov.pl/videos/watch/5c64211c-7eab-4d62-9698-e753b231dd13
How many CRTs actually have a black background, as opposed to some shade of grey?

xykreinov

Forum Donor
How many CRTs actually have a black background, as opposed to some shade of grey?
Technically all, if you have access to enough tuning controls.
However, CRTs have poor ambient light rejection, so blacks will look more grey than your average LCD in a well lit room.
However, in a dark room, any LCD will have significantly greyer blacks than a tuned CRT.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So they have patented something that does nothing? I guess I'm naive for assuming a patent require some kind of proof that it works.

A patent must work as described.. look at the description:

Methods and apparatus of connecting and communicating signals between electrical devices (such as stereo or video speaker or interconnect cables or similar circuits) include applying a bias voltage across the dielectric without interfering with the signals, by applying an energy source to at least one conductor not in the signal path.

There is no mention about noise reduction.. it just describes what the macguffin does.

Later on in the claims they do mention signal quality and distortion however.. never however is it explained what numbers we’re talking about. Possibly at a molecular level these claims might actually be true.. however the gains might not be measurable by normal tools.. I don’t know, my knowledge of physics does not reach that far. Would be cool if somebody could have a closer look at the patent and explain if any of it makes any sense.. probably nice to link that from the top article.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I think it might be fun if you could literally test a coat hanger with RCAs soldered at each end against that Audioquest thing. PLEASE?!?
I thought the coat hanger thing was with speaker cables. To wit, I actually measured it as a speaker cable and it did poorly: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/when-12-gauge-wire-is-not-12-gauge.3/

i-5hDgfH5.png

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I donated the cable. I was once an audio fool, now I am a science diehard. :) I hope no one else needs to learn this the hard way as I did.
At least sell the cable on Audiogon or eBay and recoup some of your funds back!

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Technically all, if you have access to enough tuning controls.
However, CRTs have poor ambient light rejection, so blacks will look more grey than your average LCD in a well lit room.
However, in a dark room, any LCD will have significantly greyer blacks than a tuned CRT.
Thanks. I've always wondered about that, especially when Sony and others started producing CRT TVs in the 80s and 90s with screens that looked much, much darker (when switched off, of course) in normal light than we had before. Until then they all looked a pale grey.

A800

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Trinitron!

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sure if you look around you can buy other brands, but the obvious shops in the Netherlands only seem to have AudioQuest..

Was just thinking since that audiophool outfit is based right there in the Netherlands they'd be competitive with Audioquest....interesting.

nj75f

The panther reaching into the piggy bank symbolizes how these manufacturers stealing the last cents from the pockets of gullible customers!

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor

Lancruiser

Forum Donor
For those interested in such topics, I can recommend Mark Waldrep's series of posts, white papers, etc. He is currently running a Kickstarter campaign to promote his no-nonsense approach to audio topics. For the "record", I am in no way supported or have any financial interest in his site or endeavors. I just really enjoy reading what he has to say. The hyper is; https://www.realhd-audio.com/

StefaanE

Forum Donor
For those interested in such topics, I can recommend Mark Waldrep's series of posts, white papers, etc. He is currently running a Kickstarter campaign to promote his no-nonsense approach to audio topics. For the "record", I am in no way supported or have any financial interest in his site or endeavors. I just really enjoy reading what he has to say. The hyper is; https://www.realhd-audio.com/
Making your first post promotional isn’t an auspicious way to start your membership, don’t you think?

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
Amir, please indulge us and also test the really cheap ones... The ones that have both signal conductors glued together with the molded plastic connectors.
I'm with @EchoChamber, I'd be curious to see if a real junker RCA cable still performs better than the AudioQuest especially on the transformer test. Maybe we can throw the AQ people a bone if it does measure worse.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Making your first post promotional isn’t an auspicious way to start your membership, don’t you think?
He is not promoting himself but work of Mark. So it is fine. Let's be more welcoming. :)

StefaanE

Forum Donor
He is not promoting himself but work of Mark. So it is fine. Let's be more welcoming. :)
Certainly. Apologies, I clicked on the reference to kickstarter.

Top Bottom