• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
I did use a USB-3 hub after the isolator. That is how I put power to it. Cables are all less than one meter. Isolator was plugged into the computer directly.

Aldoszx

A very persevering man !
Why don't you just listen to music on E30 DAC and enjoy ?
Even the Focusrite is better than wasting your time with those "measurements".

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
I like to get what I paid for. "Those measurements " gave me almost an order of magnitude improvement.
I have still not found any functional information on what can, or how to implement ASIO or WASAPI. Mostly on recording tool specifics. No good primer on the whole picture. Borrowed a book on "Entertainment Apps" it's most complex comment is "run groove to play music" and then says to pay Apple for songs.

half_dog

I am currently using the KTB with my Atom Amp.

Same here. I had (still have, but not my everyday use) KTB and JDS Atom, spent a few days with E30 and Atom, then L30 with KTB (current setup). I can't tell apart the DACs. But L30 "agaist" Atom, L30 seems to have a better control over bass lines on IEMs (low impedance). That's the only thing called my attention.

Talking about measurements. Today I received a Focusrite 2i4 (2 gen) and I did some measurements using Focusrite and a "old" TASCAM US-366 of E30 and KTB. Focusrite seems to have better noise BW for balanced signals, but TASCAM seems cleaner via RCA inputs. THD and jitter were measured with both interfaces. The signals played by the DACs had to be lowered to not to saturate Focusrite's input.

Attachments

• KTB_Jitter_12khz_48kHz_US366.png
    KTB_Jitter_12khz_48kHz_US366.png
    115.2 KB · Views: 135
  • KTB_Jitter_12khz_88kHz.png
    KTB_Jitter_12khz_88kHz.png
    112.1 KB · Views: 142
  • KTB_THD_1Khz_88_32.png
    KTB_THD_1Khz_88_32.png
    145.8 KB · Views: 135
  • KTB_THD_1Khz_88_32_US366.png
    KTB_THD_1Khz_88_32_US366.png
    135.1 KB · Views: 123
  • E30_Jitter_12khz_48kHz_US366.png
    E30_Jitter_12khz_48kHz_US366.png
    123.6 KB · Views: 152
  • E30_THD_1Khz_88_32.png
    E30_THD_1Khz_88_32.png
    142.9 KB · Views: 132
  • E30_Jitter_12khz_88kHz.png
    E30_Jitter_12khz_88kHz.png
    115.7 KB · Views: 134
  • E30_THD_1Khz_88_32_US366.png
    E30_THD_1Khz_88_32_US366.png
    155.7 KB · Views: 141

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I like to get what I paid for. "Those measurements " gave me almost an order of magnitude improvement.
I have still not found any functional information on what can, or how to implement ASIO or WASAPI. Mostly on recording tool specifics. No good primer on the whole picture. Borrowed a book on "Entertainment Apps" it's most complex comment is "run groove to play music" and then says to pay Apple for songs.
What are you using? Foobar? Thank @solderdude for this - https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/digital/pc-software/foobar-2000-for-dummies/

Last edited:

Sukie

Forum Donor
or how to implement ASIO or WASAPI. Mostly on recording tool specifics. No good primer on the whole picture.
At the risk of repeating myself, your DAC does not implement ASIO or WASAPI - this is the SOURCE!!! In order to use ASIO you need to have the drivers in place, but that it a software not a hardware issue. Many players (Foobar being an example, but also much simpler ones such as Music Bee) have the option of WASAPI.

It sounds to be like you've got the E30 working so just sit back and enjoy. Listen to CDs, locally ripped files, streaming services or whatever - just back away from the measurements (when a measurement-loving ASR member says this, it's really serious!!!).

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
Gad, all I did was provide an update on using the E-30 that it does not like the isolator.
I reported the distortion drops significantly if the output level is lowered 15 dB, but that causes compatibility issues with my other analog sources.

Kind of thought this APPLIES to the topic of reviewing the E-30. Or does posting anything not gushing over some product not applicable? If I want an ad or a pile of subjective " sounds fine". I can go read Sterophile.

Azathoth

how did you add the icon and to which dll file?
Just used Paint.Net with the .ico plugin. Just selected the resulting file in a folder, no need to point to DLL.

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
Last issue, probably not a defect, but makes it not for me. It has a habit of not resyncing with server on power sequencing depending on who is ahead of whom. Had to reboot twice. Think I want a "stupid" DAC. JDS OL Dac looks like the best option.

pogballistics

Hey @amirm, can you edit your conclusion.
It feels a bit incomplete as at the time of writing you weren't aware of the pricing it seems.

Thanks

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It feels a bit incomplete as at the time of writing you weren't aware of the pricing it seems.

Thanks
Review says the price, conclusion a little uncertain. But after 160 pages, is it worth it? Is there anyone that doesn't know about the device and its price?

NgtFlyer

Thanks

The price is mentioned right at the beginning of the review. If you read the review, you have seen the price update. It's a stellar deal on an almost SOTA DAC. I've had mine for about five weeks now and I am thrilled with it. The ability to switch inputs from the remote is a really, really nice touch. I will be buying a second one for my front room setup.

pogballistics

What I meant is the conclusion

"With my assumption that this is a mid-priced DAC, I am happy to add Topping E30 to my recommended desktop DACs."

Is on an assumed basis. Hence I just suggested that it could be more clear for new users.

Outstanding review tho as always.

Atanasi

Forum Donor
What I meant is the conclusion

"With my assumption that this is a mid-priced DAC, I am happy to add Topping E30 to my recommended desktop DACs."

Is on an assumed basis. Hence I just suggested that it could be more clear for new users.
When the review was first written, the price was not yet known.

Top Bottom