• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL DP5 Music Streamer and DAC Review

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
There's a subtlety. It's a lifetime of the product, not your lifetime. Should one complain if the latter is longer than the former?
The concept of 'lifetime warranty' is bothersome to me. What if you buy something and it totally fails within a month. Then it's 'lifetime' has technically ended, and so has the 'lifetime warranty'. Marketing types need to be more honest but I'm not holding my breath for that. Some manufacturers in fact do mean 'forever' in their 'lifetime warranties' which is good and honorable, but how does the consumer know which side the manufacturer is on?

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Usually the text of a warranty clarifies the intent like "for as long as you own it" or some such thing.
Its covered in volume IV, page 473, chapter 87, section XIII, paragraph 6, subparagraph 6.3.1.6.4. Yes, I see it there; if it fails, I'm screwed. :D

F1308

Major Contributor
Are they aware I am on a diet that will allow me to reach the sunny side of the 130s ? (5 drinks a week, C60 EVOO, moderate exercise, good diet and great music will do the trick).

WARNING: a DRINK is calculated as follows:
Vcc x V%/1000.
Volume in cc X alcohol in volume% /1000.
A can of beer (333cc) with 5% alcohol by volume has 333 X 5/1000=1.665 drinks.
A bottle of wine (750cc with 13% alcohol) should last 14 days !!!! Keep it OPEN in the fridge...NO CORK.
2 to 7 drinks a week extend your life some good 3.2 years, they say.

Last edited:

F.van Dijk

Thnx for the revieuw.
I got a buget solution, use the d50s and p50, then get the beelink gt king And use the p50 to power them both.
The gt king fits the stack nicely and will take the 15v of the p50.
Then use the usb audio player pro app, this bypass the android audio problem.

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thnx for the revieuw.
I got a buget solution, use the d50s and p50, then get the beelink gt king And use the p50 to power them both.
The gt king fits the stack nicely and will take the 15v of the p50.
Then use the usb audio player pro app, this bypass the android audio problem.
Interesting solution. I've used USB Audio Player Pro to connect my phone directly to a DAC, but not thought about a separate box.

This could be a solution to the search for a cheap MQA streaming option (PLEASE NOTE - I do not use MQA myself). USBAPP features MQA technology so I'm assuming it could be set up on GT King as a UPnP renderer (an option within USBAPP). It could then be controlled by a 3rd party android app on a phone or tablet that handles MQA pass through (I think both Bubble and Mconnect do this). This would give a minimum of 24/96 MQA playback and, with an MQA DAC, would allow for full MQA.

As I say, not my bag. But the issue has been tossed around on here, particularly when discussing affordable streaming options. I know that @somy was talking about this before he (sorry to assume pronoun) got drawn into the Matrix!!!

F.van Dijk

Interesting solution. I've used USB Audio Player Pro to connect my phone directly to a DAC, but not thought about a separate box.

This could be a solution to the search for a cheap MQA streaming option (PLEASE NOTE - I do not use MQA myself). USBAPP features MQA technology so I'm assuming it could be set up on GT King as a UPnP renderer (an option within USBAPP). It could then be controlled by a 3rd party android app on a phone or tablet that handles MQA pass through (I think both Bubble and Mconnect do this). This would give a minimum of 24/96 MQA playback and, with an MQA DAC, would allow for full MQA.

As I say, not my bag. But the issue has been tossed around on here, particularly when discussing affordable streaming options. I know that @somy was talking about this before he (sorry to assume pronoun) got drawn into the Matrix!!!

Nice to know.
Olso, the gt king is not bound to android. There is a coreelac option as well. And sure there are some smart people here that can make volumio or somthing running on it as wel.
With this setup all are running on the linear power suply.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Wondered why there was a headless panther on this one... horrible firmware indeed! Thankfully that is something that likely can be fixed in the near future as atleast the device itself seems to be competently designed!

ac3dtsthx

I did some fiddling with the windows 10 network setup that was instructed by SMSL. Instructions can be found via You tube. Airplay via Ipad and Android phones is now working.

SMSL-Mandy

Audio Company

Abe_W

Roon is such a HUGE SCAM....why would i pay for sht Roon every month like a MORON when so many manufacturers offer this functionality for FREE when you buy their product (MusicCast, HEOS, volumio, etc)

#ROON #MOROON

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Roon is such a HUGE SCAM....why would i pay for sht Roon every month like a MORON when so many manufacturers offer this functionality for FREE when you buy their product (MusicCast, HEOS, volumio, etc)

#ROON #MOROON

Take a deep breath...

Not sure what's gotten you so worked up, but maybe take it down a notch.

And... What's with the hashtags?

dmac6419

Major Contributor
Take a deep breath...

Not sure what's gotten you so worked up, but maybe take it down a notch.

And... What's with the hashtags?
Ah let him vent,it's good for sanity,He's not hurtin anybody

Bamyasi

Not sure why one would want to use this pretty expensive Android TV device for that, while you can easily install DLNA/UPnP renderer on a much cheaper Raspberry Pi and get the same bit-perfect playback? What's the point?

Bamyasi

I use MusicBrainz Picard to automatically add/update/correct metadata and correct track titles to standard format - free and works great.
BTW, there's plenty of other solutions besides Roon which are free and which can import tons of metadata for your albums and tracks automatically, from various open / free sources. I am not a big fan of Plex Media Server interface (even though I was a Plex early adopter) but I have to admit their UI looks pretty impressive. They also have a half-decent dedicated music player app for mobile devices now (https://plexamp.com/). Once again, you get all of those for free, as in free beer. If you subscribe, the only valuable feature added, IMHO, is ability to forward ports on your server through their encrypted proxy server to the Internet, so that you can get access to your collection of movies and records from outside safety of your home network. But even that can also be achieved for free with some effort, using third-party tools.

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Not sure why one would want to use this pretty expensive Android TV device for that, while you can easily install DLNA/UPnP renderer on a much cheaper Raspberry Pi and get the same bit-perfect playback? What's the point?
That's true. At the time I wrote the post there had been much debate about whether or not the RPi solution worked for MQA (even with an MQA DAC). It's now been confirmed, by users, that it does. It's also been confirmed that Mconnect UPnP will do the 1st part of the unfold so that you can get the partial MQA playback with a non-MQA DAC (I'm sure that "partial MQA" isn't the correct term).

Top Bottom