• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8030C Studio Monitor Review

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, and it is very obvious by just clapping hands in that room... Listening at low volumes, the reflection are tolerable, but louder and it smears and colors the sound... I need to find a practical and discreet solution.

I would recommend looking at Vicoustic Flat Panel VMT. My room has thin wood panels that are very reflective (intolerable flutter and echo) and these panels helped and they look really nice too.

EchoChamber

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I would recommend looking at Vicoustic Flat Panel VMT. My room has thin wood panels that are very reflective (intolerable flutter and echo) and these panels helped and they look really nice too.
I ordered a Hofa Baby Basstrap to see if it helps control some resonances, I don’t want a room that’s too dead either. Today I spent some time listening while working and didn’t feel the need to set bass tilt at -6 dB on the left speaker. They are both now at -4 dB and with EQ on the left speaker. I was only listening to opera and chamber music though. They are excellent in retrieving the details of acoustic instruments. Music just flows so naturally and effortlessly... These are really good.

Last edited:

_Bass

I ordered a Hofa Baby Basstrap to see if it helps control some resonances, I don’t want a room that’s too dead either. Today I spent some time listening while working and didn’t feel the need to set bass tilt at -6 dB on the left speaker. They are both now at -4 dB and with EQ on the left speaker. I was only listening to opera and chamber music though. They are excellent in retrieving the details of acoustic instruments. Music just flows so naturally and effortlessly... These are really good.

How did they sound in your office?

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
How did they sound in your office?
I don’t have the “baby” Basstrap yet... not sure how long it takes for it to get to me in the US... I ordered one to try in my living room and attic. I’ll report back...

Last edited:

YSC

Major Contributor
This is insanely good for small room desktop listening ! Now my bank account is at risk
Ok, the risk just become reality and I posted my order from thomann to ship to hk, can’t wait to listen to it

YSC

Major Contributor
I don’t have the “baby” Basstrap yet... not sure how long it takes for it to get to me in the US... I ordered one to try in my living room and attic. I’ll report back...
So right now you are using the -4 db bass tilt on both speakers? And that sounds better to you despite that one channel measured considerably more bassy?

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
So right now you are using the -4 db bass tilt on both speakers? And that sounds better to you despite that one channel measured considerably more bassy?
When I look at the REW measurements, I saw the -6dB bass shelve was bringing bass down more than the right and lower than I thought was necessary. The EQ on the left side is only for one specific frequency the room amplifies. It makes a big difference.

YSC

Major Contributor
When I look at the REW measurements, I saw the -6dB bass shelve was bringing bass down more than the right and lower than I thought was necessary. The EQ on the left side is only for one specific frequency the room amplifies. It makes a big difference.
Sorry to be stupid on this, I saw your original measurement the right speaker graph looks great and the left one (the corner one?) have a spike in the 70hz region, I originally thought use the bass tilt to -6db would make them more balanced.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Could these speakers be paired nicely with a JBL LSR310S sub?

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Could these speakers be paired nicely with a JBL LSR310S sub?
Don't see why they couldn't. The LSR310S properly high passes its output, after all. Of all the cheap subs, it's probably the best because you get a 5 year warranty, 200W of class D power and a reasonable 10" woofer.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't see why they couldn't. The LSR310S properly high passes its output, after all. Of all the cheap subs, it's probably the best because you get a 5 year warranty, 200W of class D power and a reasonable 10" woofer.
What is worrying me is that the 8030C is almost -10dB at 50Hz whereas the 305p is at -5db.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't really see your point, the crossover is at 80 Hz.
Of course, but there must still be some sound coming from the satellites at 50 Hz, since the slope is probably -12dB/octave. Since the 310S is designed for the 305/308, perhaps there will be too much 80Hz compared to 50Hz, for instance. Or do I worry for nothing?

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Of course, but there must still be some sound coming from the satellites at 50 Hz, since the slope is probably -12dB/octave. Since the 310S is designed for the 305/308, perhaps there will be too much 80Hz compared to 50Hz, for instance. Or do I worry for nothing?
It will be fine although I’d get a better sub with the genelecs, at least a Rythmik L12.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Yeah. As you said, this sub is also designed to go with the 308, which probably go lower than the 8030. This post claims 24 dB/octave: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...es-unusably-bad-help.14730/page-2#post-457779

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It will be fine although I’d get a better sub with the genelecs, at least a Rythmik L12.
Does the Rhythmik L12 have a high-pass filter and a low-pass filter? I'm after that kind of thing.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

ElNino

If it's at all helpful, the early roll off switch on the 8030 gives a 12dB/oct LR slope centered at 85Hz. You only need to find a sub with a 12dB/oct lowpass filter; there's no need to look for one that offers a highpass because the speakers can do it.

YSC

Major Contributor
But how about the F series sub designed for the G series genelec? How does it do?

and btw, I am in a tiny listening room with ~1M of space in front of the speaker, I think sub is unnecessary and will cause too much reflection booms in the room under a desk?

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Got this text yesterday from my son. He just bought a house in Bellingham WA, moving out of a small Seattle apartment. He asked for advice on sound system upgrades and I sent him here. Result:

117B2232-FE17-4E81-821C-DAFCD064CD6F.jpeg

Top Bottom