• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DIY Purifi Amp builds

hyperknot

Does anyone know that this paragraph is also valid for when the user leaves the original binding posts and additionally solders on the SpeakON connectors?

1603231126327.png

Because if so, then I believe that SMD desoldering will limit most of Ghent's customers, and thus it really doesn't make sense to offer it with SpeakON by default.

AndrewDavis

Oh, I've seen some diy using the Eval1 that had 5 way binding posts. I thought the little holes were to screw in a 5 way "knob." I'm reaching for vocabulary here. I mean this part:

Untitled.jpg

EDIT: I see now, in Amir's review the 5 way binding posts were soldered to the pcb where the banana plug receptacle thingies are usually on the Eval1. Thank you for the information, @hyperknot!!

Last edited:

ctbarker32

What are the best ways to purchase the EVAL1 and Hypex PSU for USA customers? I have seen reference to discounted OEM pricing. Any details would be helpful. Thanks.

starfly

Forum Donor
So, you paid about $759.23 for the EVAL1. The Ghent Case with Wire Harness is $250. The Hypex SMP1200 is $260.24. That brings the total to $1269.47.
Correct, I also direct ordered from Purifi in Denmark and Hypex in the Netherlands (and Neurochrome in Canada, quite an international build!). Arrived same week I ordered it.

It's not "cheap", but it certainly is state of the art as far as Class-D amps go.

beren777

So, you paid about $759.23 for the EVAL1. The Ghent Case with Wire Harness is $250. The Hypex SMP1200 is $260.24. That brings the total to $1269.47.

I paid more, I bought the cable harnesses for the SMPS1200 and EVAL1 too from their respective manufacturers. I'll still end up missing one cable somehow.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just got email from Ghent!

This is amazing news! Also the harness for 35 USD is a steal.
I'm gonna buy the harness. Just in case my problems stem from the homemade one I made for the aux power. I'll also have to send the SMPS back to Hypex. I will also reach out to Purifi to see if there's a problem with the Eval1.

The only thing I did to the Eval 1 was to remove the standby switch, so I don't see how that could have caused a short.

AndrewDavis

It should be noted that you can buy the VTV Purifi Amp for 969 so if you're not married to the idea of the eval 1, you can get an assembled amp for less than the price of the components. Or even as a source of components for a diy project it might be a good deal.

OP
J

JimB

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I asked about the SpeakON and they said that they just install it:
You need to solder leads up from the EVAL1 output pads up to the speakON tabs. Or, you could assemble jumper cables with Z plugs inserted from INSIDE the case to Quik connect terminals for the tabs.

OP
J

JimB

Forum Donor
Does anyone know that this paragraph is also valid for when the user leaves the original binding posts and additionally solders on the SpeakON connectors?

View attachment 88796

Because if so, then I believe that SMD desoldering will limit most of Ghent's customers, and thus it really doesn't make sense to offer it with SpeakON by default.
The feedback path is completed by the DELTRON-style sockets on the EVAL1 if you leave them intact.

Last edited:
OP
J

JimB

Forum Donor
I paid more, I bought the cable harnesses for the SMPS1200 and EVAL1 too from their respective manufacturers. I'll still end up missing one cable somehow.
What cable are you missing with the Ghent harness set?

OP
J

JimB

Forum Donor
I'm gonna buy the harness. Just in case my problems stem from the homemade one I made for the aux power. I'll also have to send the SMPS back to Hypex. I will also reach out to Purifi to see if there's a problem with the Eval1.

The only thing I did to the Eval 1 was to remove the standby switch, so I don't see how that could have caused a short.
When you unsoldered S1, did you add a jumper to enable the amp, OR fit the /AMPON wire between the EVAL1 and the SMPS?

hyperknot

You need to solder leads up from the EVAL1 output pads up to the speakON tabs. Or, you could assemble jumper cables with Z plugs inserted from INSIDE the case to Quik connect terminals for the tabs.

The feedback path is completed by the DELRON sockets on the EVAL1 if you leave them intact.

Thanks! So do I understand right that a normal person doesn't ever need to do some kind of SMD desoldering if they prefer SpeakON? Just 2x2 wires to solder and that's it?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So the DIY bill of materials is:
- Ghent case + harness: 250 usd
- Purifi EVAL-1 kit (I/O board + 2 amp modules): 760 usd
- Hypex SMPS1200A400: 215 usd
Total: 1,225 usd

While an assembled amplifier costs:
- Apollon: 1,780 usd
- Audiophonics: 1,240 usd
- March: 1,600 usd
- VTV stock buffer: 979 usd
- VTV Sparkos Pro opamps and regulators: 1,350 usd

All prices converting currencies in Google, and excluding both VAT and shipping (DIY has to pay for 3 shippings).

Notice that the VTV amplifier uses essentially the same case, SMPS, amp modules but with a stock buffer, and is 20% cheaper than DIY.

I guess it makes sense to DIY for the experience and pride of assembling, or to add any special parts that the manufacturers don't have. Because considering price and effort, it is not worth it, at least in my opinion.

Last edited:

ctbarker32

It should be noted that you can buy the VTV Purifi Amp for 969 so if you're not married to the idea of the eval 1, you can get an assembled amp for less than the price of the components. Or even as a source of components for a diy project it might be a good deal.
Already did that. I bought the VTV Purifi Amp a couple of weeks ago. I made a video.

It looks like VTV will also sell EVAL1 amp as well for an attractive price. From a cost perspective, it looks like DIY is NOT the way to go at this point.

Top Bottom