• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Apollon Hypex NC2K Monoblock Amplifier Review

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Two year warranty seems below the industry average which is probably three years.

Pioneer and Sony offered 3 years in the 1980s and Yamaha offered 5 years into the 1990s.

2 years in 2020 is hardly progress...

* but luckily for Australians, the statutory warranty offered by a manufacturer means absolutely nothing. It can, and often is usurped by an implied warranty. A TOTL product is expected to perform and last considerably longer than a mid range product, regardless of the warranty the manufacturer "decides" he wants to cover.

Last edited:

3125b

Major Contributor
Especially for a manufacturer from the EU, where there is a mandatory 2-year liability for defects period anyway.
But then again, how much better is three years, when I would expect an amp to last 20 or so of moderate use. The not very fancy Pioneer I got from my gradparents still works fine after over 30 years.

Focal and their various letter-shaped membranes ...

@restorer-john
That's an interesting concept in Australia. How does that work in practice, does the consumer have to go to court, or is there a gouvernment agency decinding what is to be expected ... ?

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But then again, how much better is three years...

one.jpg

3125b

Major Contributor
But that was 11. In that case I'd be happy :)

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
There's really only Bryston I can think of, with a 20 year warranty. Back in the day, Koss (headphones) had an unconditional, no questions asked warranty. No matter what happened.

Negatywny

So, now you can buy worth of hundred thousand dollars hi-end speakers and plug them to almost budget amplifier, wchich is likely cheaper then cables typically bought with this speakers ;)

Thats super cool, now we just need to wait for the focal grande utopia thousand bucks counterpart ;)

Yeah, and 100m2 living room ;)

Thanks for nothing apollon :p

Nango

Major Contributor
We don't have warm enough weather to grow proper eggplants. I gave it the best try this year though and grew a bunch of oriental purple ones. They did not get very large but harvested a few pounds. Made my favorite dish with them last night: Chinese Eggplant in dark sauce:

View attachment 88613

The peppers were also from our garden. Man it tasted good then and even better when I warmed it up for lunch today.

Our traffic has gone way up as of late. Both the CPU and (SSD) disk space are getting near saturation. Pretty soon I need to migrate to a larger server so figured I milk you all for more money now. Please donate using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Wow, yummy ..... Next time with parmigiano and olive oil!!

wwenze

Major Contributor
Can't see how that wire gauge looks remotely sufficient for ~20A continuous from the 4 pin SMPS to the amp module.

We need like a Jonnyguru for amps to do a stress test to see if it burns.

Come to think of it, 2kW @ 93% efficiency = 150W of waste heat is not something this cooling system look like it can handle.

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Tim Allen has found his amp.

jomark911

We need like a Jonnyguru for amps to do a stress test to see if it burns.

Come to think of it, 2kW @ 93% efficiency = 150W of waste heat is not something this cooling system look like it can handle.
Well actually there is not a cooling system at all.
At least one that I can see.
To the right side where the power board is.
On the left where the psu is , there is this vertical thing like a aluminum bar that probably works as what? that could be a heat sink.

Apollon Audio

Audio Company
Well actually there is not a cooling system at all.
At least one that I can see.
To the right side where the power board is.
On the left where the psu is , there is this vertical thing like a aluminum bar that probably works as what? that could be a heat sink.

The modules are mounted on a 10mm thick aluminum baseplate which works very well as a heatsink. There is no overheating even when the amp is pushed very hard.

jomark911

I believe normal hifi speakers are way more sensitive than 84db.
Actually around 88-90db, most of them.
84 db's were some Apogee's of the 90's and some others pretty funny that needed a truckload of watts to come to life.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I believe normal hifi speakers are way more sensitive than 84db.
Actually around 88-90db, most of them.
84 db's were some Apogee's of the 90's and some others pretty funny that needed a truckload of watts to come to life.

Nah, manufacturers often spec them in the high-80s or low-90s, but the reality is that the typical range tends to be about 84-87dB (with two-way standmounts tending to be at the lower end of that range).

Top Bottom