• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Apollon Hypex NC2K Monoblock Amplifier Review

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
The amp module uses only 1 pin each for the +85 and -85... That's a lot of current.

Can't see how that wire gauge looks remotely sufficient for ~20A continuous from the 4 pin SMPS to the amp module.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Isn't the rise in THD and the early roll-off caused by the Sparkos SS2590 input buffers?

The Hypex data sheet shows the same HF rolloff, around 0.5dB at 20KHz for the module unbuffered. 0.5dB down at 20KHz for a small signal test is not exactly state of the art, but it seems all the Hypex modules have a similar response. The LF rolloff is no doubt just the AC coupling of the APX, not the Hypex module.

1603180749063.png

Last edited:

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
As some who exclusively uses a PC as source, I would be afraid to fry speakers/subwoofers if this amp ever sees a full scale input signal :eek:. It happend to me before due to the PC freezing or bad drivers. So far, no victims except for my ears, but I don't have 2kW amps...

martijn86

With 3 volts of input which is likely well over 1000 watts, it shot up to 21+ bits of dynamic range! Fantastic!
That's rediculous! That means that you can have a total system chain with 21 bits of usable resolution while outputting 1000W to your speakers for less than $ 5000.-. Better yet, at .5% utilisation, this beast still clears 16 bit with flying colours. Hypex, does NOT disappoint!

PeteL

Major Contributor
By "manufacturer" I mean engaging business activities that incur costs associated with manufacturing: sourcing, inventory, warranty, support, regulatory compliance and fees, etc. When you make and sell a tangible widget, as opposed to license intangible IP, you're almost in a different line of business. It may not be desirable for THX to take on all of that. I'm not aware of THX being an actual manufacturer of headphone amps; I suspect they merely license a reference design to Drop, Monoprice, SMSL, whom are all more well-positioned to either do the manufacturing themselves or outsource to the ODMs that they surely have.
Well, no sorry, I don’t know for ahb2, but thx aaa technology for headphone amp, is a circuit assembled on a pcb. At least I can confirm it was that 3 years ago. they tried to sell me a licence and sent me an evaluation board, which consisted of a complete amp. It could have change since.But either way, At the core, it’s the same thing they try to sell, an amplification circuit, that are arguably performing better than what the amp manufacturers can achieve themselves. They both sell to manufacturers, in a business to business model. Both are competing in getting amp makers to use the technology they have to offer in their. products, Now, your Hypex/Nvidia, I do get it, but is Arm is in the licensing business? I tought they sold microcontroller chips, like xmos or other, this reference I don’t get, Isn’t arm a manufacturer in the purest sense? I tought these guys actually buy and sell silicon, like any chip manufacturers?

Last edited:

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
Wow! This is from a shared 20 amp outlet where I am powering my computer and Audio Precision and we still get 1.8 kilowatts of continuous power at 1% THD+N. And burst power of 2.3 KW.
It would be nice to see the resistors used to drive this amp. Winter's coming soon, so more amps for testing should be a must. :)

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
In that vein, it's Hypex, so I assume 800W means 200W continuous.
I am probably missing your point here, sorry, but from Amir's graphs I understand that sinusoidal power is 1.8KW/4 Ohms @1% THD+N continuous power while peak power is almost 2.3KW. Am I missing something?

However, https://www.hypex.nl/documenten/download/2196 shows Hypes own measurements too.

retro

And Amir, how does it sound on your Salon2's, compared to your ML's..:)..?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am probably missing your point here, sorry, but from Amir's graphs I understand that sinusoidal power is 1.8KW/4 Ohms @1% THD+N continuous power while peak power is almost 2.3KW. Am I missing something?

However, https://www.hypex.nl/documenten/download/2196 shows Hypes own measurements too.
There is small print in the Hypex datasheets saying that continuous power is dependent on thermals and may be only 1/5th the rated power. That is why I wrote about people playing full scale sine waves for several minutes uninterrupted and not music, it is an unrealistic and irrelevant signal. If someone is going to test this, then also add a fan on top.

PeteL

Major Contributor
Oh, really??

That's interesting. I got it off of NAD's website, but maybe the situation has evolved since this was posted.
View attachment 88649

From here:
https://nadelectronics.com/nad-intros-c-298-power-amplifier-with-purifi-eigentakt-amplification/
It may depend on which amp, I have no reason. to doubt NAD statement, I was strictly talking about the m28 that has been review and opened up here. My guess would be that those « optimisations » mean, « we can save money by modifying this » , but who knows

tomtoo

Major Contributor
At least @amirm dont need a garage heater anymore. Just some old resistors. 2kW heating power and you can even use it as a clean amp. Thats somehow cool. ;)

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, no sorry, I don’t know for ahb2, but thx aaa technology for headphone amp, is a circuit assembled on a pcb. At least I can confirm it was that 3 years ago. they tried to sell me a licence and sent me an evaluation board, which consisted of a complete amp. It could have change since.But either way, At the core, it’s the same thing they try to sell, an amplification circuit, that are arguably performing better than what the amp manufacturers can achieve themselves. They both sell to manufacturers, in a business to business model. Both are competing in getting amp makers to use the technology they have to offer in their. products, Now, your Hypex/Nvidia, I do get it, but Arm is not in the licensing business, and sell microcontroller chips, like xmos or other, this reference I don’t get, Isn’t arm a manufacturer in the purest sense? I tought these guys actually buy and sell silicon, like any chip manufacturers?
Arm is in the licensing business

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
There is small print in the Hypex datasheets saying that continuous power is dependent on thermals and may be only 1/5th the rated power. That is why I wrote about people playing full scale sine waves for several minutes uninterrupted and not music, it is an unrealistic and irrelevant signal. If someone is going to test this, then also add a fan on top.

They (Hypex), consider "long term" greater than 30 seconds.

1603191400229.png

The FTC considers continuous as 5 minutes (minimum) after preconditioning for 60 minutes. i.e. Warm her up for an hour and then pull out all the stops for at least 5 minutes.

I'm sure there's plenty of women out there who would consider the FTC rating as considerably more satisfying in the "long term"... ;)

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Arm is not in the licensing business, and sell microcontroller chips, like xmos or other, this reference I don’t get, Isn’t arm a manufacturer in the purest sense? I tought these guys actually buy and sell silicon, like any chip manufacturers?

Arm is a pure IP company. They do not manufacture or sell any hardware. They license their designs only.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's a lot of power. About five thousand dollars in US currency. For stereo. Not chump change. Given it's external fit 'n finish I'd be hesitant. Two year warranty seems below the industry average which is probably three years. With this sort of power, I'd want to know more about protection circuitry. I went to their site and I didn't find anything about that. I presume it is fully protected against electrical mishaps.

Top Bottom