• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sony NW-A105 Digital Audio Player Review

Saidera

Now, it seems condensers or capacitors in S-Master amps and walkmans like A55 do need some 'aging' or burn-in, before their characteristics become optimal - muddiness may become clearer upon hundreds of hours later of listening! This is objectively verifiable stuff, but Sony has not released any documents.

Saidera

I'm familiar with fully digital PWM amplifiers as I have a couple at home (I.AM.D V200). The problem with the NW-A55 is definitely not DSP because my dynamic driver & planar magnetic headphones & dynamic IEMs whose sound balance is unaffected by output impedance all worked really well with the device. My BA IEMs which require low/very low output impedance to work as intended sounded horrible. It's very plainly a problem with the hardware design, not the software or the sleep patterns or work schedules of Sony employees(!)

All the "enhanced" sound modes are irrelevant. For me the device is merely required to properly drive a variety of earphones with all the DSP stuff inactive. It failed.
We should see A55 measured for output impedance via USB DAC mode.
I don't have BA IEMs. I remember some other guy used 3.5 mm BA IEMs on A105 and said DSEE was more suited to BA IEMs not dynamic driver.

julian_hughes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This has nothing to do with USB DAC mode, the A105 or Sony's DSP and NC modes or marketing buzz words.

Only requirement was unmodified playback via the 3.5mm jack into a variety of commonly found headphone types. The NW-A55 fails because the output impedance of the headphone output is obviously nowhere near the ideal range of 0 to 1. I can't put it more simply than this. Over & out.

Saidera

I started off with just onboard audio from laptops, including my favourite but outdated VAIO DSD. I was limited to 24/48 on the newest laptop, and felt intense frustration. No DSD under $100 either. All that changed in 2020, when, what had only been a pricey COZOY TAKT PRO in 2018, exploded into an entire market of audio dongles. DSD128 became reachable with just up to $30. Thanks to Apple removing their jacks. It should become clear that desktop DACs have less meaningful purposes when far smaller devices are now cheaper and even perform better. But dongles weren’t enough. DSEE HX AI existed. And after mrwalkman’s comeback, shortly after my request, the mods finally got me into walkman, a very difficult device to get for a reasonable price in many places. Then I grabbed whatever ultra-budget Sony earphones I could get, including IER-H500A, EX150AP/255AP Black, EX150AP Mint Green, ZX110 and MH410c both with EQ. All were $14 or $20 or free.

An audio enthusiast with 6 years of useless experience reading subjective words of others, a Sony fan who got into audio in 2007 after getting an extensive classical CD collection and subsequently in 2013 due to the ‘incredible’ quality of SHARP’s 1 Bit radio cassette CD/MD players and Sony’s MD Walkman. Of course – compared to laptop speakers – any source is better!

I also became interested in the engineering and science aspect of sound due to the work of Mr Ayataka Nishio, ‘father of DSD audio’, an engineer at Sony who created SBM for CDs, 1 bit audio, Sonoma editing systems, SBM Direct, VAIO DSD audio hardware and software design advice and assistance, activities popularising DSD Audio in Japan, and finally the original 2013 ver of DSEE HX. Then he made it possible to livestream DSD256 via PrimeSeat software and recorded 100+ concerts for this. He is actually about as legendary as Doi the ‘creator of CD’ or the S-Master amp designer whose name I forgot (after retirement he created the Vinyl Processor DSP for walkmans). Not many legendary engineers of the 90s remain at Sony now, although their teachings and influence probably remains. One of the many influences is seen in the way that Sony places emphasis on subjective enjoyment and does not reveal specs as a marketing tool. As a consequence, only their top of the line products measure well enough, and the standard products have suffered bad designs … in most cases.

My foray into audio extends only to the limits of DSD audio and DSEE HX. Although I gradually learned some technical terminology, it was not structured or systematic learning. I have forgotten much of it. I still don’t truly understand 1 bit audio. Each layperson’s understanding of it seems different, and to understand it from an engineer’s perspective one needs to read AES papers etc.

It has been around a year since I first came to recognise the NW-ZX500 series. Being a person who didn’t really ‘get into audio’ until becoming exposed to Sony Japan Marketing, via the Japanese media and VAIO PCs with their Sound Reality DSD chip CXD9872/ALC889DSD, it seems necessary to consider and share how audio and Sony appear to me now.

No doubt there are people who never take any interest in audio, for whom the cheapest earbuds and random audio jacks in phones etc are sufficiently satisfying and capable of delivering good sound. They are likely the main adopters of the wireless boom. Generally, the most rare sight is a person with big headphones on, the next is the person with IEMs on, and finally, wireless headphones/IEMs/buds. Despite the IEM’s small size, the cable is still an unnecessary obstruction. And because most standard IEMs tend to be weak at recreating ‘air’ and distance, the IER-Z1R, M9, M7 were created. Of course, we can find exceptions in IEMs which don’t simply recreate details ‘up close’ and lack the ‘air’. The question is whether full size headphones have ‘air’ and distance. Whether every piece of gear needs to be pushed to its design limits and whether consumers truly need the variety. There probably never was a need for WM1Z, but that need was created after the product was unveiled.

The IER-Z1R is for consumers. It has one 12 mm dynamic driver just like MDR-EX255/650, except it has ‘magnesium alloy inside’ it, requiring it to be made in Japan. Then it adds a BA driver and another 100kHz 5 mm dynamic driver. Zirconium alloy housing, unique design, and hefty price tag. The talk session notes contained interesting explanations from one main designer. Like others, he claimed that IEMs lacked air and that IER-Z1R achieved it. He gave an answer that IER-Z1R is good paired with WM1x, even PCM-D100, acknowledging that the famed DSD recorder actually plays excellently, and DMP-Z1. He claimed that there is no need for ageing, unlike large speakers. And he knew that the way it is worn affects the sound in much greater ways. He also wrote after the session that 100 people will have 100 views on what constitutes good sound. But he, and the New York mastering studio involved in testing, believed that the sound heard in the New York mastering studio was achieved by IER-Z1R. And that consumers can trust Sony when it asserts that this is one of the ideals they have achieved. They don’t intend to make large profits from this, but wish to share the fruits of their creation. Sounds great of course.

IER-M9, M7 are penta and quad BA arrays respectively, designed for on stage pro use, seemingly making the 16 mm driver MDR-EX800ST (2010) obsolete. Strangely EX800ST is becoming favoured by those sick of BA and multi driver IEMs. Thus, variety is created.

The headphone amps pages explain S-Master processes in greater detail, and show the two 40 bit DSEE HX DSP chips by Analog Devices ADSP.

Regarding the MDR-EX750/IER-NW750N, IER-H500A /IER-NW500N, IER-NW510N distinction, they are all Walkman A series specific earphones. Some could do binaural recording with Xperia. NW510N is the 6 mm driver IEM for NW-A100 series, with a strange shape that hides in the ear. MDR-EX750 is notable for its balanced circuit connected to a single ended plug. It is not clear whether later iterations had the same balanced circuit, or whether NW750N, its walkman version, had this. Or whether the sound improves due to it. But it is remarkable that my experience with using IER-H500A with A55 matched another user’s with their IER-NW500N. Perhaps due to A55’s incompetence, they’d stopped listening to it via other headphones, until they dropped into a Sony store and tried NW500N. Somehow the 9 mm driver IEM works well with A55, from a non-critical layperson’s perspective.

When would a person be able to tell that the combination is good? Perhaps it is no different to any other combination so long as it is also a 9 mm driver with similar specs. Perhaps it is the fit with the ear that differed. But overall, the effect is to allow A55 to playback sources without causing any dissatisfaction, and to have the user begin to feel that the A55 is really a music toy. Perhaps not outrightly fun or warm sounding but definitely something to play with rather than a professional sound.

Would all the effort be necessary, if an MH410c (free with old Xperias) with EQ to increase the bass and tame the peaks can deliver enough quality?

All DACs will become dongle DACs and DAPs will become extinct.

Saidera

It's a Sony. Aesthetics and usability make this set more of an audio toy to be played with rather than pro audio focused.
20210714_115053.jpg
20210714_115110.jpg

Saidera

Look into the descriptions of the high end amps and they explain it for geeks in a way no sony page does overseas.

Wheel_Audio

Hello, @amirm - Thanks for your review. During your testing, did you happen to try the A105's "Direct source" option? It's a setting that apparently disables any unnecessary audio processing. It might be worth testing its effects.

Best wishes.

Saidera

From the measurements that were made, it is pretty much certain that "Direct source" was used, or at least, all enhancements were turned off. Wolf's measurements of the Vinyl DSP showed how badly the sound can get distorted by Sony's DSPs. Since that is not apparent here, we can be sure that all DSPs were off.

Berkut

For those interested in 2022, I've been listening to this NW-A105 DAP for many days with the Thruthhear Crinacle Zero IEM. Plenty Loud enough (no need to exceed 75/120 AVLS limitation for me), very good combination ! Make sure you select 'direct source', it's getting blurred otherwise.

Listening to Qobuz and Deezer is juste fine, and better than with my Sony LDAC WH-H910N Headphone. I found out although I bought this DAP for LDAC, I wasn't listening to it that much, using the WH-H910N a lot more with my iPhone-iPad (AAC) or an Android (SBC) Crosscall Tablet. Did not hear much difference between audio codecs, but it's an all different story hooked up to this IEM.

Would I recommend it through ? Well not New either as a streaming devices, and/or especially not on the go : battery drainage is too fast, and there is not juste enough RAM to properly handle Android + the added Sony layer. I only added Deezer, Qobuz, YouTube and Yamaha's MusicCast app (as a remote). Don't bloat it with Google play store crapware : you'll need all the memory available to run future upgrades of what you really need.

Good buy with the Thruthhear if you find it cheap/second hand, and listen to it at home on a bed or a coach. Don't know about battery drain if you use added rom storage of downloaded files though.

I enjoy the option of having it either wireless/LDAC while multitasking (with a Sony Bluetooth Headphone), or sticking a decent IEM into it for deep listening. You don't get Access to wireless phone calls with a DAP : that's the while point ! The World Can wait !

Baseline : besides measurements, it all depends on your use case.

Last edited:

Saidera

The magic of a Sony wore off on me just a few months after I got my NW-A55 in 2020! Ah, has it already been two years? I used NW-A55 maybe only 20 times in two years! I simply prefer Apple dongle.

raif71

Major Contributor
The magic of a Sony wore off on me just a few months after I got my NW-A55 in 2020! Ah, has it already been two years? I used NW-A55 maybe only 20 times in two years! I simply prefer Apple dongle.
I have 1 nw-a45 and 2 nw-a55...in a week I use at least twice...some other weeks more. The DAP is used as a music transport (usb) to external desktop DACs.

KubeK

Hello everyone. I am user of A45 bought some years ago and now I discover this forum. As per the reviews it seems as not very spectacular player (I believe it's same as A105 or similar). After those years I would like to change to some other DAP, is there any sense in it, or according to you only phone and dongle is enough (which it's difficult to believe for me). I am interested in your opinions and more reviews if you have them :)

Negatywny

There is no evidence of any DAP being superior to standard smartphone, and plenty of evidence of expensive DAP lacking any redeeming qualities. Yeah i know, especially hard to believe that 0,5 kg brick doesn't even have more power. And you can confirm that in many independent sources:

KubeK

There is no evidence of any DAP being superior to standard smartphone, and plenty of evidence of expensive DAP lacking any redeeming qualities. Yeah i know, especially hard to believe that 0,5 kg brick doesn't even have more power. And you can confirm that in many independent sources:

As I am clearly a begginer, I do not know this channel and don't want to depreciate that, but quality seemed quite low, even though I got some fun watching:

1. They did not provided any tests. As I wanted to have real tests of hifi as per this forum provides, this video seemed same as other videos encouraging or discouraging buying something hifi basing on total subjectivity "I like the sound/I don't like the sound"

2. They focused on AMP ability that I know it's no good, but at the same time they suggested that DAC abilities would be very good (despite theory as all DAPs are bad on this topic, it confused me even more), though using planar headphones on devices "on to go" it's completly not my aim, I found it kinda strange.

3. They stated that Bluetooth connection does not have any sense as during the connection always dac of the headphone will be used. Is that always true, so no BT headphones does not have any sense pairing with any DAC/DAP?

However, my question was slightly different as they "reviewed" just new Sony DAPs, I was asking of EVERY DAP. In sense I see Sony does not say anything about dacs inside, but e.g. some Fiio uses AK or Sabre dacs that can be find in normal stationary DAC units as e.g. IfI DSD or Topping Dx3 Pro. Does it mean all of those units are worth same as simple phone, so not only DAPs but DACs in general are useless? So there's only a sense buying AMP, and only for more needing headphones? Same, it means all DACs sounds different is just a subjective experience of every listener (me, as a begginer can feel some difference between different units, just deciding which sounds better for me, but that's clearly subjective).

Sorry, if that's too much offtopic, but I got curious about reading the th read. Thanks :)

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As I am clearly a begginer, I do not know this channel and don't want to depreciate that, but quality seemed quite low, even though I got some fun watching:

1. They did not provided any tests. As I wanted to have real tests of hifi as per this forum provides, this video seemed same as other videos encouraging or discouraging buying something hifi basing on total subjectivity "I like the sound/I don't like the sound"

2. They focused on AMP ability that I know it's no good, but at the same time they suggested that DAC abilities would be very good (despite theory as all DAPs are bad on this topic, it confused me even more), though using planar headphones on devices "on to go" it's completly not my aim, I found it kinda strange.

3. They stated that Bluetooth connection does not have any sense as during the connection always dac of the headphone will be used. Is that always true, so no BT headphones does not have any sense pairing with any DAC/DAP?

However, my question was slightly different as they "reviewed" just new Sony DAPs, I was asking of EVERY DAP. In sense I see Sony does not say anything about dacs inside, but e.g. some Fiio uses AK or Sabre dacs that can be find in normal stationary DAC units as e.g. IfI DSD or Topping Dx3 Pro. Does it mean all of those units are worth same as simple phone, so not only DAPs but DACs in general are useless? So there's only a sense buying AMP, and only for more needing headphones? Same, it means all DACs sounds different is just a subjective experience of every listener (me, as a begginer can feel some difference between different units, just deciding which sounds better for me, but that's clearly subjective).

Sorry, if that's too much offtopic, but I got curious about reading the th read. Thanks :)
I still want a DAP so that I don't have to have the smart phone with me.
I find it quite annoying when people call me while I am enjoying my music, kinda' like when people call you at 7 AM when you have the alarm set at 8 AM because you did not get to sleep until 2:30 AM.

Last edited:

Keith_W

Major Contributor
There is no evidence of any DAP being superior to standard smartphone, and plenty of evidence of expensive DAP lacking any redeeming qualities. Yeah i know, especially hard to believe that 0,5 kg brick doesn't even have more power.

When it comes to sound quality, the only aspect of my DAP that is superior to my smartphone is the built-in amplifier. It has vastly more output which is important if you want to drive a headphone with low sensitivity like my DCA Stealths.

Then there are all the other useability features of DAP's which are nice - expandable storage, physical buttons, and some (like mine) can be used as a power bank - so not only do you avoid draining your phone battery playing music, you can top it up as well. I am so annoyed that so many smartphone manufacturers have followed Apple's bad example and removed headphone jacks from smartphones.

raif71

Major Contributor
When it comes to sound quality, the only aspect of my DAP that is superior to my smartphone is the built-in amplifier. It has vastly more output which is important if you want to drive a headphone with low sensitivity like my DCA Stealths.

Then there are all the other useability features of DAP's which are nice - expandable storage, physical buttons, and some (like mine) can be used as a power bank - so not only do you avoid draining your phone battery playing music, you can top it up as well. I am so annoyed that so many smartphone manufacturers have followed Apple's bad example and removed headphone jacks from smartphones.
I'm ok with smartphone's move to eliminate headphone jacks as I don't use them to hear music anyways. I use DAPs for music and computer for online meetings.

Top Bottom