• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

xDuoo TA-20 Tube Balanced Headphone Amplifier Review

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
This review finally confirms what I have been thinking for a while. Numbers are important, but they're not everything. After going through countless dac / amp combos the single best solution I've found for my LCD 2's is the Xduoo TA-20 (this amp) and the Sabaj D5. On its own the D5 is too clinical, very fatiguing and tin sounding (for my ears, on my setup) and often underpowered.

The Xduoo TA-20 opened the sound up beautifully, softened the highs and with lovely warm mids. I upgraded the stock tubes (they're ok, not great) to a pair of matched psvane tubes. I tried using Eq on the D5 before spending money on this. It helped but the result was never as good.

Honestly I'm not interested into getting into a massive debate as many on this site love, I'm only posting to help other potential buyers of this unit. The numbers would imply it is a total waste of space!

I'm too young to remember tube amplifiers, so there is no nostalgia and just good sound for me :)
OMG I hadn't seen this review. It is possibly the worst performing amp I have ever seen. It's just an effects box which will audibly change the sound.

If that's what you want that's fine, but it has nothing to do with hifi.

Hifi - faithful to the original.

philipjdall

Apologies I didn't want to run off a long list of everything I've tried, but I also own the THX 789 amp. I like it, but it merely amplified the clinical nature of the D5 on these headphones. My tubes have been good so far, hope you're lucky third time round.

FWIW I also own a pair of Dan Clark Aeon 2 closed, and the D5 + THX combo is absolutely glorious on these! So a lot of this is headphone dependant. The TA-20 also sounds good on them, though.

Celty

OMG I hadn't seen this review. It is possibly the worst performing amp I have ever seen. It's just an effects box which will audibly change the sound.

If that's what you want that's fine, but it has nothing to do with hifi.

Hifi - faithful to the original.
I'm not sure why you feel compelled to knock philipjdall's post sharing his enjoyment of his equipment. As he obviously is happy with his choices, I say more power to him. I know you are selling your own brand of equipment, and it may be just the thing for many folk, but I don't think it's necessary to denigrate his. He obviously read the review, and is more than pleased with his decision.

Apologies I didn't want to run off a long list of everything I've tried, but I also own the THX 789 amp. I like it, but it merely amplified the clinical nature of the D5 on these headphones. My tubes have been good so far, hope you're lucky third time round.

FWIW I also own a pair of Dan Clark Aeon 2 closed, and the D5 + THX combo is absolutely glorious on these! So a lot of this is headphone dependant. The TA-20 also sounds good on them, though.

I have the similar Monolith 887, and it has been great with my headphones. It will likely be quite awhile before I will be able try my cans out on a tube amp, but I look forward to it. It will be a Glenn OTL, which is well thought of by ZMF fans who have tried his amps.

Anyway, congratulations on finding a pairing for your Audeze LCD 2's that you love, enjoy! Just out of curiosity which Psvane tubes did you get?

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
I'm not sure why you feel compelled to knock philipjdall's post sharing his enjoyment of his equipment. As he obviously is happy with his choices, I say more power to him. I know you are selling your own brand of equipment, and it may be just the thing for many folk, but I don't think it's necessary to denigrate his. He obviously read the review, and is more than pleased with his decision.

I have the similar Monolith 887, and it has been great with my headphones. It will likely be quite awhile before I will be able try my cans out on a tube amp, but I look forward to it. It will be a Glenn OTL, which is well thought of by ZMF fans who have tried his amps.

Anyway, congratulations on finding a pairing for your Audeze LCD 2's that you love, enjoy! Just out of curiosity which Psvane tubes did you get?

Sorry but I am perfectly entitled to sare my views on this amp just the same as phillipjdalls is.

My comments werent directed at him or his enjoyment of it, they were a comment on its technical performance. If he enjoys grossly distorted sound then thats up to him.

Celty

Sorry but I am perfectly entitled to sare my views on this amp just the same as phillipjdalls is.

My comments werent directed at him or his enjoyment of it, they were a comment on its technical performance. If he enjoys grossly distorted sound then thats up to him.
I find this a bit disingenuous, as your post was not a generic one, it was specifically replying to and quoting his post. Yes, you can say what you want - but that does not mean that you should, tact and being considerate are always welcome attributes.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
I find this a bit disingenuous, as your post was not a generic one, it was specifically replying to and quoting his post. Yes, you can say what you want - but that does not mean that you should, tact and being considerate are always welcome attributes.

Oh give over. The amps poor technical performance is abundantly clear from Amirs review. He did not recommend it. Comments like "tons of distortion". Do you find that tactless or just an accurate description?

Yes I replied to the specific post because the opinion was specifically offering advice to other potential buyers and readers. He was recommending it. I certainly would not. Amir does not.

I would be extremely wary of any individuals subjective commentary which was no doubt obtained without any controls in place.

Last edited:

philipjdall

Thanks for sticking up for me Celty, but don’t worry - I expected to be shot down for liking a poorly testing amp anyway.

We all know tube amps test badly, but loads of people out there appreciate them. And I assure you mr March audio if you were to listen to this exact setup, you’d probably like it too.

Peace out, and go enjoy Australia Day.

Celty

Thanks for sticking up for me Celty, but don’t worry - I expected to be shot down for liking a poorly testing amp anyway.

We all know tube amps test badly, but loads of people out there appreciate them. And I assure you mr March audio if you were to listen to this exact setup, you’d probably like it too.

Cheers Mate! (He says in his best attempt at the Aussie dialect), and a great Australia Day to you. I have to admit, I was not well informed about your Holiday, so I had to Google it. And may those fires die down and hope all are safe during your celebrations.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company

Would I? :)

It's a lovely sunny Australia day here

Neutron

This review finally confirms what I have been thinking for a while. Numbers are important, but they're not everything. After going through countless dac / amp combos the single best solution I've found for my LCD 2's is the Xduoo TA-20 (this amp) and the Sabaj D5. On its own the D5 is too clinical, very fatiguing and tin sounding (for my ears, on my setup) and often underpowered.

The Xduoo TA-20 opened the sound up beautifully, softened the highs and with lovely warm mids. I upgraded the stock tubes (they're ok, not great) to a pair of matched psvane tubes. I tried using Eq on the D5 before spending money on this. It helped but the result was never as good.

Honestly I'm not interested into getting into a massive debate as many on this site love, I'm only posting to help other potential buyers of this unit. The numbers would imply it is a total waste of space!

I'm too young to remember tube amplifiers, so there is no nostalgia and just good sound for me :)

If you are really into it, 12BH7 is better than 12AU7 for less.

icsi85

Does this amp realy perform this bad? Maybe the tubes are not the best one that it comes with?

icsi85

Can someone write alternatives like this amp?

BubbaJay

I just got this amp and paired with my iFi Neo and my Z1R, Arya, and AP2000ti headphones sound great. The soundstage is very large and the overall clarity is very good.

hmscott

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I just got this amp and paired with my iFi Neo and my Z1R, Arya, and AP2000ti headphones sound great. The soundstage is very large and the overall clarity is very good.
Congratulations on your new TA-20, and your results sound very encouraging!

My TA-20 is supposed to arrive sometime next week.

Are you on stock tubes? It's popular to "roll the tubes" using "better" tubes, either new releases or NOS (New Old Stock) tubes from the "Golden Age" of tubes.

@Noodles also has a TA-20 and is already deep into rolling tubes, we've been discussing it here:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...mp-money-can-buy-for-hd800s.18522/post-605784

But, it would probably be more on topic to move the discussion here in the TA-20 review thread :)

Noodles

Congratulations on your new TA-20, and your results sound very encouraging!

My TA-20 is supposed to arrive sometime next week.

Are you on stock tubes? It's popular to "roll the tubes" using "better" tubes, either new releases or NOS (New Old Stock) tubes from the "Golden Age" of tubes.

@Noodles also has a TA-20 and is already deep into rolling tubes, we've been discussing it here:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...mp-money-can-buy-for-hd800s.18522/post-605784

But, it would probably be more on topic to move the discussion here in the TA-20 review thread :)

True :)
My mullard tubes started exhibiting noise when i run them for 20+ hours straight on lower volume levels. My hd800 i normally run at about 77 volume, but i already can hear the hum at about 81-82, when it was normally audible at around 90.
Hope the other tubes are less noisy (still waiting on them).

Last edited:

hmscott

xDuoo TA-20 user reviews

https://drop.com/buy/xduoo-ta-20-balanced-headphone-amp/reviews#reviews

Opinions are generally very positive...
A nice price too at $299 right now. The problem is that according to this post (in spoiler) Drop sales for the TA-20 only have a 90 warranty from Drop and don't include any warranty from Xduoo - this has been posted in the comments for the Xduoo Drop TA-20:
xDuoo TA-20 Balanced Headphone Amp Discussions | Drop

Jerrycrowe DEC 22, 2020
Do not purchase an Xduoo TA-20 amplifier through Drop. Drop doesn't include a manufacturers warranty with the Xduoo TA-20. My wife purchased one for my birthday and it was opened 4 days past the 30day return point. The Amplifier is faulty right out the box. The left channel is bad. Its not the tubes or headphones. I swapped the tubes and tried different headphones, both balanced and unbalanced but the hiss and clicking when turning the volume up or down persists on the left channel only. The right channel sounds fine. Here is what Drop emailed us. My wife's name is Jeri,

"Brett R (Drop Community Support)
Dec 22, 2020, 8:37 AM PST
Hi again Jeri,

That is correct, this item does not come with a manufacturer's warranty. Items that come with more than the typical 30 day guarantee by Drop will state that they have an extended warranty on the product page.

At Drop, we purchase our inventory through authorized dealers. As we then pass along this inventory to our members, we are a third party retailer. As the amp was not purchased directly from the manufacturer, any warranty provided may not be honored, as the purchase was made via a third party. As we are the direct buyer, the warranty is not transferable to the member unless otherwise stated on the run page. Due to prior agreements and contracts with our vendors, we are unable to provide their contact information either.

We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your understanding. Feel free to reach out to me if you have any other questions or concerns.
Best Regards,
Brett

For a complete list of our policies and FAQ, please visit the Help Center!"

My point is. Drop sells items cheaper but don't stand behind the sales, they don't warranty the items and the item's they sell don't come with a manufacturer warranty. I WONT be purchasing anything else from Drop. Neither will my wife, or my son, my parents, brother or sisters, friends or anyone else I can ge to listen.
I didn't know the Xduoo TA-20 warranty wasn't included for sales through Drop. The other outlets are selling the Xduoo TA-20 for $366 so it's not a big enough savings to risk warranty issues.

There are lots of good posts and reviews in that drop listing for the TA-20, and I'd been reading there for quite a while and had not seen this warranty issue posted till just now.

Perhaps check with Drop before buying to make sure what you are buying has the "normal" full product warranty coverage, that's what I plan to do if I find something on Drop that I do want to purchase.
True :)
My mullard tubes started exhibiting noise when i run them for 20+ hours straight on lower volume levels. My hd800 i normally run at about 77 volume, but i already can hear the hum at about 81-82, when it was normally audible at around 90.
Hope the other tubes are less noisy (still waiting on them).
Yup, I've heard some initially quiet tubes do exhibit noise after an initial burn-in, so that's why I'm trying to find places I can return the tubes if the noise comes through within the first 30 days - or whatever the acceptance time period is for a vendor. I always hold back retail (Amazon / Ebay / etc) feedback until the burn-in is done and infant failure is not seen.

Other tubes are not showing hum/noise after being on for that time period? Just wondering if it's the tube or the TA-20, or even line noise/hum that is intermittent.

Here's some more feedback from Xduoo - questions I've sent to Hifigo for Xduoo to answer:

Xduoo replied what they tried before
1、PSVANE 12AU7
2、GOLD LION 12AU7
3、Mullard 12AU7
4、SG 12AU7
5、JJ ECC82

Of course, I asked for more details for each tube mentioned, how they would rate them, but perhaps that is their order of rating already with PSVANE 12AU7 on top. They didn't mention any NOS tubes, I wouldn't have expected them to, but it is interesting to note.

Q/A's are still going back and forth, I'll summarize the details when it's time. This discussion has been going on for a few weeks off and on, they are all very busy with the Holiday sales season :)

It's nice to know Xduoo is interested in customer relations and answering questions, and Hifigo assists in before/after the sales support.

Last edited:

hmscott

The 2nd Amazon Tube order delivered today (4 days ahead of est delivery!) from the VivaTubes.com guys Rick and Austin. I had already heard that the new PSVANE Art Series Tubes come in individual tube boxes instead of in the Gain Matched Pair box from PSVANE.

Since this is the first time I've ordered tubes in a long time - 50 years - I don't remember the "standard" readings on the stickers - although I do recall them being there, so can anyone help?

What do they measure? How do the measurements translate into usefulness in the real world? And, which ones are for the "Gain Matched" features, and which don't matter if they are far divergent? Like Line #3:

Tube
A / B
19.0/18.4
18.5/17.4
1640/2110
2030/2065

Values #1,2,4 are "close enough" but aren't matched like the boxed gain matched pair of PSVANE 12AU7-T MKII tubes - those measurements were the same or perfectly matched - so which should I complain about if any? :)

Checking their website, now I know I can save $20 by ordering direct instead of from their Amazon store, and they included a $10 off $99 or more next purchase off of their website, so I can save $30! :)
Psvane 12AU7-S Vacuum Tube - Matched Pair (vivatubes.com)

Update 12/26 - Yun Express handed off my xDuoo TA-20 package to DHL in Hong Kong (after 8 days in China!!) and DHL's estimate is Dec 30 (Wed) delivery. I think from the travel history details on Yun Expresses tracking it looks like they tried several paths to get to me from China before handing over to DHL, and that's great they are so persistent.

It is a crowded shipping scene there in China after the Holiday sales. DHL has typically taken 3-7 days from China to SF Bay Area, and FedEx is 5-14 days. IDK if delivery times are going to be better or worse after the Pandemic shutdowns end...more traffic, but more Air travel to accomodate the movement of products.

Last edited:

hmscott

DHL delivered the Xduoo TA-20 today 12/7, amazingly fast service to deliver 3 days early when DHL only received the TA-20 package from Yun Express on the 25th in Hong Kong, after roaming around China for 8 days first!

The TA-20 is small, the 4-foot pattern allows the TA-20 to sit facing forward on top of the Topping A90 with the 4 feet all supported by the A90.

Out of the box running the "China" generic stock tubes, the Beyerdynamic 600-ohm headphones have much more power to drive them, with noticeably more Bass control. And, plenty of headroom on the volume dial. The Beyerdynamic 600 ohm headphones can get too loud and I have to reduce the volume vs. the need to run the A90 at 75%-100% and running out of power.

Interestingly the DT-990 600 ohm needed more drive on the A90 compared to the DT-880 600 ohm, now the roles are reversed and the DT-990 is louder than the DT-880 600 ohm at the same volume setting.

The SendyAudio Aiva also has much more Bass control but with a wider sound stage. I have a 4-pin XLR to 4.4mm adapter plugged into the TA-20, as most of my balanced headphones are 4.4mm with a few 2.5mm - requiring daisy chaining another adapter for now.

The "China" generic stock tubes are smooth and clean, with no noise even at the top volume setting of 95. Tapping on the tubes while running doesn't generate any response in the audio, no noise.

Happy New Year!! :)

Xduoo TA-20-smaller.jpg

Update: After listening for a while at lower volumes I started turning up the volume and noticed an extra "sparkle" - not quite a crackle - on the edges of treble, and so I turned down the D90 MQA output from 0.00dB to -09.0dB output - D90 MQA in Pre mode and those breaking edges disappeared. Now the treble is crystal clear at low and high volume.

I've further reduced the output to -12dB to be "safe", as there is plenty of headroom on the volume dial. Instead of running the Aiva volume at 55 (0.00dB) I have it at 65 (-12dB), max TA-20 indicated volume is 95.

It turns out that sparkle / distortion was from "burn-in" of the TA-20, I don't get that now with the full D90 output :)

Xduoo doesn't list their input sensitivity for RCA / XLR so I figured I'd need to "play it by ear" and adjust the D90 MQA output. I have asked so many other questions of Xduoo that I am still waiting for the answers - I'll eventually get around to verifying what the TA-20 RCA/XLR max input should be.

Update: Xduoo confirmed that the TA-20 can accept up to 8v input on XLR, so no need to worry. After getting that reply from Xduoo I've enabled DAC mode on my D90 MQA letting the full 4v output into the TA-20, and after months of listening I have had not heard any overdriven sounds out of the TA-20. Rock on! :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom