• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dutch reviewer Hans Beekhuyzen stated that an DIY Hypex based nc400 amp can't sound better than an much more expensive Class D amp

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In June this year i ask Hans in a private FB messages what his opinion was regarding class D amp's. As an example i sent him the test of Amirm review Hypex nc400

Hans in Holland is well known as a audio reviewer opinion guy with quit a track record so I thought his opinion counts.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-hypex-nc400-diy-amp.5907/&fbclid=IwAR17para_Rv4emSHVtOxoYykBKjp_EPYkGL0uihRuSzGAYIv-4NMRihPPRE

Basically he never came back on my question. Guess what he placed 2 October on his you tube channel an response regarding Class D amp's starting at minute 6:10.

I was supprised that he stated that if your goal is Serious sound quality you have to spent Serious money. This Hypex NC400 DIY amp can't be better than more expensive Class D amp's like a Mola Mola Kaluga class D power amp costing around 6.000,- euro. Now i don't want to end up if more expensive is better than less expensive but what amazed me he probably even not bother to read Amirm measurement (he stated in minute 8:50 that measurment in general don't say everything that explaind it probably) that i sent him or do a simple measurment him self or a blind a-b test between an expensive an a considerably less expensive Class D amp.

Last edited:
OP
Snarfie

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

DSJR

Major Contributor
But that's how the high end fraternity works. The better looking and more expensive the product, the better it is to many buyers. I long ago lost the income able to justify the lower reaches of this train of thought and now welcome neat simple boxes at fair and sensible prices able to easily out-perform much hyped-up 'stuff' at mad selling prices, bought often in the UK by (usually) elderly men with bursting pension or investment pots!

Wombat

Master Contributor
Why are these opinionated 'influencers' given so much Titled Thread space on ASR? Let's stay at the science-based level of topics.
headbang.gif

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
People are people, let's focus on us and doing things correctly here .

Hans is doing what makes Hans money, it's how the audio industry works . It's how you tube works .

It's not how we work thankfully but let's not help these people by making them more notorious .

OP
Snarfie

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But that's how the high end fraternity works. The better looking and more expensive the product, the better it is to many buyers. I long ago lost the income able to justify the lower reaches of this train of thought and now welcome neat simple boxes at fair and sensible prices able to easily out-perform much hyped-up 'stuff' at mad selling prices, bought often in the UK by (usually) elderly men with bursting pension or investment pots!

As Hans an lots of ASR members I'm in my 60ties by reading information published here I gain knowledge even on my age. I did discover DSP like Room correction an it opened a new windows enjoying my music way more than before. Why because I'm open to new opinions an insight.

But only from a statistical point of view I read many opinions of people (not only on ASR) who own Mark Levinson, Krell an other expensive amp's they would turn to a modern Class D amp like Hypex if there expensive amp's are beyond repair. Those people have deep pockets to buy the best amp's available are they all wrong???

Reactions: PSO

Wombat

Master Contributor
Yes somhow you are right. But destroying the bussinesmodel of snakeoil sellers is a benefit for human kind.

They don't get destroyed on this rationally(mostly) isolated forum. Their target audience is elsewhere and generally not interested in ASR.

Keeping this forum free of them is more useful - as in maintaining a BS free zone.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Yes somhow you are right. But destroying the bussinesmodel of snakeoil sellers is a benefit for human kind.
A few fanatics making noise about folks like this will only help them and make us look .., well like fanatics.

We combat these sorts of things by being as open and welcoming as we can be and promoting our values in a positive way .

tomtoo

Major Contributor
They don't get destroyed on this rationally(mostly) isolated forum. Their target audience is elsewhere and generally not interested in ASR.

Keeping this forum free of them is more useful - as in maintaining a BS free zone.

ASR is a strong growing forum. Dont underestimate the truth and @Amir. ;)

Wombat

Master Contributor
A few fanatics making noise about folks like this will only help them and make us look .., well like fanatics.

We combat these sorts of things by being as open and welcoming as we can be and promoting our values in a positive way .

With new members, yes.

However established members are active in this regard, too. Poking fun may be fun but does not really advance the cause.

tomtoo

Major Contributor

You and i know this is not the place for fanatics. The fanatics sit in the other corner and call the people that talk the truth fanatics. Not my way, 2+2 stays 4 even others would call me math fanatic. ;)

tomtoo

Major Contributor
A key part of the business model is to do with exposure, clicks and links, all publicity is good publicity. Starved of attention is the only thing that will end the cycle.

Not my opinion, people are not stupid. If someone has a big mouth, lets see whats behind. Couse if everybody looks away the people with the big mouth rule. Not my world.

Feanor

Forum Donor
So I just sold my Pass Labs X150.5 amp. It's really nice sounding amp, but not better on balance than my recently acquired VTV NC252MP whose retail price is 1/10 that of the X150.5. (Yeah, that's not withstanding the ragging VTV has got around here.)

For the record the Pass is a little bit warmer and therefore more forgiving of the ubiquitous crappy recording, OTOH the NC252MP is a bit more transparent. Choose your poison and pay the price.

Last edited:

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
So I just sold my Pass Labs X150.5 amp. I really nice sounding amp, but not better on balance than my recently acquired VTV NC252MP whose retail price is 1/10 that of the X150.5. (Yeah, that's not withstanding the ragging VTV has got around here.)

For the record the Pass is a little bit warmer and therefore more forgiving of the ubiquitous crappy recording, OTOH the NC252MP is a bit more transparent. Choose your poison and pay the price.
What to do with the proceeds?! Hookers and blow , then waste the rest ... ?

Feanor

Forum Donor
What to do with the proceeds?! Hookers and blow , then waste the rest ... ?
Since you ask, I'll probably get a Purfi 1ET400A-based amp, (yes, probably from VTV.) And/or a Topping D90 DAC.

Top Bottom